New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Topic
Page: of 3

farmlife

1413 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2014 :  5:27:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh I can't wait for baby pictures. Clover and Beau Vine look amazing together! I won't laugh at your picking out names for the would be calf. I already have Larabee picked out if Elli has a heifer. I'm not sure about a name for a little bull calf yet. Now I'll start thinking of flower names for you, Charlene. I like Bluebell, though. Have you thought about wildflower names? What are your goats' names again?
Go to Top of Page

Ron

4666 Posts
Ronnie
Peever SD
USA

Posted - Nov 22 2014 :  7:48:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Keeley for a bull how about Larrybee? Lol

With a moo moo here and a moo moo there, here a moo, there a moo, everywhere a moo moo.
Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2014 :  9:53:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So, MaryJane, you are being so polite...in the same post you say that Clover was a sweetheart and she was feisty! I'm thinking she was more on the feisty side of things...what a stinker. But if you'll lead her around the pasture like that every day, I'm thinking I'll have one super-trained cow when its all said and done. :-) I am even more grateful that we were able to bring Clover over a couple of days ago if she is indeed going into heat early. Clover acts so much like an excited teenager... Oh, but I am hoping she goes into a full-blown heat and we end up with a pregnant cow. Then, I'll be acting like an excited teenager!

Loving life and family on our Idaho farm, Meadowlark Heritage Farm; A few Jersey cows; a few alpacas; a few more goats, and even more ducks and chickens
Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2014 :  12:02:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just meant the kind of feisty associated with a cow in heat--playful with a mischievous look in her eye. She's mellow again today. But I did find it amazing the way she came running to her name yesterday.

If you want to come for a visit, let us know. You could try calling her again like I did after you've distracted Beau. Or bring them both to the feeder with the sound of a few pellets and then latch her head using a lead rope. Then go down and give Beau a serious scoop of pellets in the other pasture and lock the long green gate. I have a halter on her now that's a good fit. Gates and bulls go together like coffee and cream.

MaryJane Butters, author of Milk Cow Kitchen ~ striving for the stoicism of a cow standing in the rain ~
Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2014 :  2:50:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Clover definitely knows her name and we all call to her multiple times a day...the kids, hubby, and me. She talks back to us...she also runs to us...leaping and skipping in a cow-sort of way. We love it! She adores my oldest son and will do just about anything for him with or without a treat.

I'd love to come visit Clover! Let me know when it is the most convenient for you and the least bother, weather permitting. I am sitting here in my kitchen listening to the wind howl and the rain pelt my windows...pretty nasty outside currently! Chores in a little bit and we'll all need to bundle up for sure!

Loving life and family on our Idaho farm, Meadowlark Heritage Farm; A few Jersey cows; a few alpacas; a few more goats, and even more ducks and chickens
Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2014 :  08:34:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Charlene, are you thinking pink or blue next Sept. 4th? Today is the long awaited day! Beau Vine has once again found his calling.

MaryJane Butters, author of Milk Cow Kitchen ~ striving for the stoicism of a cow standing in the rain ~
Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2014 :  12:10:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congrats to Beau Vine and Clover. Well, and of course Charlene/family and MaryJane. How wonderful and exciting. One more thing to be so thankful for.
Go to Top of Page

Ron

4666 Posts
Ronnie
Peever SD
USA

Posted - Nov 26 2014 :  12:12:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Way good! And right about on time I figure. Catch early in heat good chance for a prize heifer calf!

With a moo moo here and a moo moo there, here a moo, there a moo, everywhere a moo moo.
Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2014 :  1:42:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am so excited today!!! I actually have not really allowed myself to hope for a specific gender...I just was worried that Clover wouldn't go into heat or she couldn't be bred since the AI didn't work. But I am thrilled today!! Way to go Beau Vine!! If we were so blessed to have a little heifer, we are definitely keeping her. If we are blessed to have a little bull, then he'll be raised for meat...just the facts on a farm. It will be so hard so I'm really hoping for pink next Sept. 4th!!!! But aren't we all?

Doing a happy dance here!

Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2014 :  1:53:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh Charlene. I don't know how you couldn't help but dance. I was thinking of Johnny Depp in the Alice of Wonderland. I was seeing you doing that dance he does when MaryJane gave you the news. Wahooooo! We are all thrilled beyond words for all of you. This is a happy day!
Go to Top of Page

Ron

4666 Posts
Ronnie
Peever SD
USA

Posted - Nov 26 2014 :  2:04:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You know there are people always looking for good pure breeding bulls too!

Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2014 :  2:17:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would have liked to have met one before I had Pumpkin Moonshine, well you know my meaning. He would have been a jim dandy!
Go to Top of Page

Ron

4666 Posts
Ronnie
Peever SD
USA

Posted - Nov 26 2014 :  4:02:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Especially I would think with the mini Jersey movement that all sorts of folks would need good Bulls for some genetic diversity.

Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2014 :  4:10:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I suppose so...I think I will rely on MaryJane's advice regarding a bull. I definitely know that we are not set up for keeping a bull, but maybe sell it as a weaned calf...I don't know. Learning curve just got steeper!

Let's just hope for a little heifer "Bluebell" and she'll have a home here for always. :-)

And....we will have Jersey milk come next September if all goes well. What a wonderful Thanksgiving gift this year!! And, Clover cooperated...went into heat when everyone at MaryJane's farm could be witness...and not right on Thanksgiving when everyone's concerned with the oven and kitchen rather than the cow pasture.

MaryJane, I'll be curious if you notice how long Clover is in heat?

Go to Top of Page

Ron

4666 Posts
Ronnie
Peever SD
USA

Posted - Nov 26 2014 :  4:51:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad for you big time Charlene, B&B up, Cow bred, Sheep on the way ( just teasing about the sheep I hope you know ) so much to be thankful for! Family, friend and animals.

Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2014 :  5:30:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not set up to keep a bull either but I could have sold Pumpkin Moonshine intact to someone wanting a registered Jersey bull. Good genetic background. But it's all good. We did what we felt was best for us. Like Charlene, I will leave the breeding to MaryJane.
Go to Top of Page

Ron

4666 Posts
Ronnie
Peever SD
USA

Posted - Nov 26 2014 :  6:35:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I really wouldn't mind a good Jersey bull. Just some are a little out of reach for the time being. I still get calls about people wanting me to breed the dairy cow for them. The AI guy just will not stop for one cow around here.

Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2014 :  7:15:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh, yes I know you are teasing about the sheep, Ron! Some day, but now I need to make sure I am giving Clover and my goats the very best care and attention they deserve. Maybe I'll start with learning to spin wool...in my spare time, right?!

Sounds like you could use a bull, Ron. Sounds like others around you would appreciate you having a bull!

Go to Top of Page

Ron

4666 Posts
Ronnie
Peever SD
USA

Posted - Nov 28 2014 :  8:44:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The right one is always in demand. Sort of sorry I sold my Guernsey bull even though I can us him it's not the same. Plan was to get another one I had my eye on with slightly diffrent genetics but it was a crazy year.

Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2014 :  9:51:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Plans definitely have a way of changing without us ever doing a thing! You must be grateful that at least you can use your bull...even though I know its different.

Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2014 :  08:36:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My daughter and I went over the hill to MaryJane's farm a few days ago to visit Clover. What fun! Clover is so fuzzy now! I know its only been a little over a week since I'd seen her, but, oh my, she was fuzzy all over! She's very comfortable and settled in...she recognized me but certainly did not moo like she did last time. Seriously, she's got it made...spending the holidays at MaryJane's farm with a very handsome bull. MaryJane has a really safe method of getting Beau Vine fenced into another pasture so it was safe for me to go in with Clover. I brushed Clover and led her around with her halter and lead rope. It was very relaxing for me and then as I was getting ready to leave...the snow started to fall. Beautiful! Only 13-14 more days until we see if she goes back into heat or if she's bred. A very fine Christmas gift, I'm thinking, to find out that Clover is truly bred! Thank you MaryJane for inviting me over to see my Clover!

Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2014 :  11:28:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My very fuzzy Clover at MaryJane's Farm on Monday:

Go to Top of Page

Ron

4666 Posts
Ronnie
Peever SD
USA

Posted - Dec 03 2014 :  1:24:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now thst is one nice looking cow!

Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2014 :  3:46:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Ron. I think so too, but I'm very, very biased! Another nine days until we see if she goes into heat or not.

Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2014 :  2:28:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I feel like I'm counting down 'til Christmas, only I'm counting down until Clover's next scheduled heat! If she's not bred, she should go into another heat in just two days...sitting on pins and needles and will jump for joy if she does NOT go into heat and September 4th will be highlighted on our calendar as the due date for a calf.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: