New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Topic
Page: of 3

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2014 :  8:47:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Since we are now on a new plan for Clover's breeding, I thought it appropriate to start a new thread. This afternoon I trailered Clover over to MaryJane's farm. MaryJane's husband was kind enough to turn the suburban and horse trailer around for me as I am very good at driving forward, but less skilled in backing up. And, I appreciated not providing too much humor to their afternoon!

Clover was like a giant puppy dog (one who now weighs almost 600 lbs!!) when I got her out of the trailer. We walked around in tight circles to remind her not to pull on the lead rope...not sure that she listened! MaryJane and her husband got Beau Vine corralled in part of the pasture so we could lead Clover into the other pasture. They respect their bulls and it was great to see how they are so careful around them. Safety for all. Then Clover met her beau...Beau Vine. He stood there as if to just let Clover run her eyes over him. He straightened his back and stood at attention. Clover sniffed him and then listened to the other bulls who were calling for her from across the road. Then, I kid you not, Clover leaped and skipped down the pasture to the end to visit them. Beau Vine jogged after her...a bit exasperated in that she was not fully appreciating his studliness and he was having a difficult time keeping his manly posture as he toddled after Clover. Beau Vine is definitely a handsome bull! He has every right to show off a bit!

After being able to watch MaryJane milk using her EZ milking (I want one now...so easy for sure!) and processing her milk (wow, she has got it down and everything is so clean and carefully done!), I got into my suburban to return home. As I passed the pasture where Clover was, she looked up and came over to the corner closest to my car. She just looked at me and moo-ed and moo-ed. She recognized my car and knew that I was leaving. I stopped, rolled down my window and talked things over with her, explaining "the plan" and how she was a very fortunate cow to be able to visit MaryJane's farm.

And, a big thanks to MaryJane who was kind enough to send me an email update on Clover tonight. MaryJane reported that Clover only moo-ed for an hour or so more after I left and has settled in for the night. I do hope Clover behaves herself tonight and is a good guest!

Seriously, the plan is for her to settle in with Beau Vine and her new surroundings before her next heat cycle which should be next week. Here's hoping to a successful breeding, a new calf early next fall, and lots of delicious fresh milk!

Loving life and family on our Idaho farm, Meadowlark Heritage Farm; A few Jersey cows; a few alpacas; a few more goats, and even more ducks and chickens

Ron

4666 Posts
Ronnie
Peever SD
USA

Posted - Nov 21 2014 :  05:32:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wonderfull! What a great afteernoon. And your lovely Cow now at the MJ Farm Hay and Stay!

With a moo moo here and a moo moo there, here a moo, there a moo, everywhere a moo moo.
Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2014 :  06:08:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The MJ Farm Hay and Stay has a very nice ring to it, Ron. I like it.

Loving life and family on our Idaho farm, Meadowlark Heritage Farm; A few Jersey cows; a few alpacas; a few more goats, and even more ducks and chickens
Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2014 :  06:15:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is so wonderful. Thank you for the update and letting us know how Clover is progressing. It truly is like reading about family. I'm sure everything is going to have a storybook ending. Anyway, I'm sure enjoying this story thus far.
Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2014 :  06:20:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We will see how Clover did last night, or rather how MaryJane survived the night. I am hoping that Clover settled down which I think she will. She was just so excited yesterday to see all the cows and bulls. This could be a story line for another children's book about cows on the farm!

Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2014 :  06:37:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I certainly enjoy reading about Clover and Beau Vines experience on MaryJane's Farm. MaryJane's book explains the process pretty good but a children's book to explain the process would be educational as well. Can't start too early.
Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2014 :  06:43:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's barely light out but through my binoculars I checked on Clover just now and guess what? She was taking a drink from the BarBarA!!!!! I was sure she'd figure it out promptly.

MaryJane Butters, author of Milk Cow Kitchen ~ striving for the stoicism of a cow standing in the rain ~
Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2014 :  07:08:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Janet, that reminds me of something my husband once said to a visitor who was suggesting book material. "It's ALL book material." He said that as he swept his arm out in front of him and then onto my shoulder. Mind you, he said it with a contrary smile on his face.

MaryJane Butters, author of Milk Cow Kitchen ~ striving for the stoicism of a cow standing in the rain ~
Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2014 :  07:55:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just spent some time with Clover. She's acting like she's always lived here. When I fed her and Beau this morning, they were both relaxed and calm. I'm going to put her halter back on now that she's settled in. That way, I can reach through while she's eating and latch her onto a lead rope and tie it. Then I can beckon Beau down to the other pasture with some pellets, lock the gate, and have some alone time with Clover. When I get that routine all squared away, I'll let you know Charlene. No moo-ing at all.

Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2014 :  10:10:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am so glad to hear that Clover figured out the BarbarA waterer. Beau Vine is obviously a good teacher! And, I'm also happy to hear that she settled in...I figured once she figured out where she was (I mean, come on, what cow wouldn't want to spend time at MJ farm's Hay and Stay!) she would be content.

I have to say this morning I have caught myself looking for Clover twice already!

Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2014 :  1:50:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Clover has found a bovine companion to lick and love:

Along with a tree to scratch on:

Marital bliss! Just hanging out in the honeymoon rental chalet complete with room service (all too true, right?).

Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2014 :  2:17:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Romance in the air. Adorable pics of Clover and Beau Vine. I can see it in Clover's eyes last pic. :)

To laugh is human but to moo is bovine. Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

Ron

4666 Posts
Ronnie
Peever SD
USA

Posted - Nov 21 2014 :  4:24:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Them are going to make a nice calf!

With a moo moo here and a moo moo there, here a moo, there a moo, everywhere a moo moo.
Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2014 :  5:06:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Love. Love. Love. Clover and Beau Vine look very relaxed with each other. And, Clover appears to have settled in rather quickly and completely!

I caught myself looking for Clover at least six different times...I had no idea that I kept track of her so much! A friend came over this morning and she asked, "Where's Clover?" So I'm not the only one! Obviously, everyone should have a backyard cow in their front yard pasture!

Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2014 :  5:10:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I printed these photos and they are now posted on our refrigerator! Yes, one might say that Clover is a part of the family...

Go to Top of Page

Ron

4666 Posts
Ronnie
Peever SD
USA

Posted - Nov 21 2014 :  5:23:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love Her name too. It just screams love.

Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2014 :  6:46:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like her name, too. Now we are starting to brainstorm for names for her baby...suggestions? A meadow flower?

Go to Top of Page

Ron

4666 Posts
Ronnie
Peever SD
USA

Posted - Nov 21 2014 :  6:56:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Uugghhh you are probably asking the wrong person. Everyone seems to come up with these romantic names and I usually toss out some lame one or two syllable names.
But here would be one for you...being it was bred to an MJ Bull and it will be a sweet little heifer full of cream when She is ready, how bout Buttercup...lol..MJ Butters, and the delicate little flower, and all the creamy milk made into butter! That would be my shot at it.

Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2014 :  7:20:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like the idea Ron. I'm not good with names either. But I like your idea of MaryJane Butters, and Buttercup. I'm guessing Charlene's kids will have some good names figured out.
Go to Top of Page

Ron

4666 Posts
Ronnie
Peever SD
USA

Posted - Nov 21 2014 :  7:28:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Half the fun of having a baby animal. Giving it a name. I guess if it is a bull Buttercrunch? Lol

Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2014 :  7:51:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Or ButterRum, or RumButter. But it isn't a meadow flower.
Go to Top of Page

Ron

4666 Posts
Ronnie
Peever SD
USA

Posted - Nov 21 2014 :  7:52:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Butterball? Lol..

Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2014 :  4:42:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Love these ideas! We thought of Buttercup for some of the same reasons, Ron! But we actually had a goat named Buttercup...I sold her, but she's still Meadowlark Heritage Buttercup. So, we were googling names of field flowers since Clover is a field flower of sorts. My English friend actually named Clover so I started search English field flowers. Well....what do you think of Bluebell? Very English and it sounds good with Clover. If we have a little bull, I really like Ron's suggestion...Buttercrunch! We try to keep the kids aware of the animals' purpose so they don't fall apart when the animal is in our freezer. And I swear our youngest, Owen, is the best at handling it all.

Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2014 :  4:44:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good grief...I have to laugh at myself. Clover hasn't even gone into heat yet and here I am thinking of calf names!!

Go to Top of Page

Ron

4666 Posts
Ronnie
Peever SD
USA

Posted - Nov 22 2014 :  4:49:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And here we are got it all figured out. You are bad and we are worse! :)

Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2014 :  5:27:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Charlene,

Clover moo-ed a couple of times later today while I was getting ready to milk so before I took Miss Daisy inside, I walked down to see how it would work to separate her and Beau.

I put pellets down for Beau and the two of them thundered to that pasture. As I started to walk back up to the feed bunk, I called Clover's name and she ran that direction. AMAZING!!!!! She put her head in the feed bunk so I gave her some pellets and then I walked down and locked up Beau. Easy peasy.

I finished milking and walked back down to make sure she's getting water. I do that by holding down the paddle. If an animal walks over and guzzles water, they aren't figuring it out. She wasn't interested.

I got a halter on her and lead her around the pasture a couple of times. She was a little feisty so I'm thinking she's going into heat a little early which is why she was moo-ing. Being with a bull will do that. But so far tonight she's quiet.

What a sweetheart she is!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: