New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Topic
Page: of 2

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2014 :  1:04:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, today I had my first attempt at mozzarella cheese. I know what it's suppose to look like, and beautiful texture it's suppose to have because MaryJane sent some home with Colton and I when we met with her in Montana. Mine didn't turn out like that and I'm thinking it's because I squeeze the curds too much, instead of just draining the curds from their whey. Something, because my mozzarella didn't want to come together in nice smooth balls the way MaryJane and Ashleys do. So, If you get some spare time. LOL. Please let me know what I'm doing wrong. It's edible by all means but not a beautiful smooth ball of mozzarella. Don't laugh Ron, you've probably made it for years. Maybe cheese just isn't my forte but I'm trying. I'm not quitting till I get this cheese thing down. Persistent Pulver! Oh, can you leave the salt out or does it have to have it?

To laugh is human but to moo is bovine. Author Unknown

Edited by - NellieBelle on Nov 04 2014 1:05:14 PM

Ashley

167 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2014 :  1:19:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did the curds want to stretch at all? They should want to melt and knit together and then stretch when you pull them. I'm not sure why, but every once in awhile I will make a batch and the curds don't want to knit together. When that happens, I usually just line a colander with cheesecloth and drain the curds. You can leave the salt out if you want. It won't change the way the cheese stretches, just the taste. :)

Ashley (MaryJane's DIL)
MaryJanesFarm Food Guru
Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2014 :  1:23:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes the curds wanted to stretch. Seems like while stretching the cheese it cools off so quickly that it just doesn't want to mend together. I heated the whey to 175 degrees. Dipped it in, but my curds were like one large ball already and so I wondered if I squeeze them too much. I'm sorry to be such a pain. I really would like to make mozzarella as beautiful as what MJ sent home with me. Absolutely gorgeous. Creamy smooth texture.
Go to Top of Page

Ashley

167 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2014 :  1:37:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If it cools off while you are stretching it, you can always put it back in the whey to warm it back up and it will be pliable again. You could break up the big ball into smaller balls, but maybe it did lose too much whey during the transfer/squeezing. Recently, I have gotten into the habit of skipping the part where you transfer the curds to a bowl. Instead, I just leave the curds in the pot, while I heat the whey. I will stir the curds periodically. When I do it this way, I either use a double boiler so the curds don't burn, or am really careful about keeping them off of the bottom of the pan. Once they start to melt together, I'll scoop them out with a perforated spoon, stretch, and salt the curds.

I would never describe you as a pain. I really love that we have this forum available for this reason! I want to help in any way that I can.

Ashley (MaryJane's DIL)
MaryJanesFarm Food Guru

Edited by - Ashley on Nov 04 2014 1:51:17 PM
Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2014 :  1:45:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Ashley. I'm going to keep trying. Like I said it's edible but it's not as nice as I would like to have it. So I will make more, and besides, you can't eat too much mozzarella. I will try it again and let you know how I do. Thanks again Ashley, your a gem!
Go to Top of Page

Ashley

167 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2014 :  1:49:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anytime, really!

Ashley (MaryJane's DIL)
MaryJanesFarm Food Guru
Go to Top of Page

Ashley

167 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2014 :  1:52:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oops. MaryJane pointed out that I forgot to say I use a perforated spoon to scoop the curds out. I edited my post, but just wanted to clear that up. :)

Ashley (MaryJane's DIL)
MaryJanesFarm Food Guru
Go to Top of Page

Ron

4666 Posts
Ronnie
Peever SD
USA

Posted - Nov 04 2014 :  2:09:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If it makes you feel any better Janet all mine looks like Frankencheese! But tastes good. I will not win the ribbon for best of show but we eat it!

With a moo moo here and a moo moo there, here a moo, there a moo, everywhere a moo moo.

Edited by - Ron on Nov 04 2014 2:10:01 PM
Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2014 :  2:16:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That may be what happens here. It tastes good but it isn't quite right. I could just shred it and use it in recipes but it's just too good. I hope to make another batch tomorrow if things go smoothly here. One never knows one day to the next. I only take one day as it comes.
Go to Top of Page

Ron

4666 Posts
Ronnie
Peever SD
USA

Posted - Nov 04 2014 :  2:18:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hear you, yesterday is gone tomorrow ain't here yet. Right now is what we have.

With a moo moo here and a moo moo there, here a moo, there a moo, everywhere a moo moo.
Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2014 :  2:29:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Exactomundo! Finishing up some dishes, then a mad dash to the chicken house to feed and get the eggs, other chores are done, all that's left now is get supper and milk and more dishes. End of the month bookwork and statements to get out. So will be working on that the next few days. Supper might only be creamed eggs on toast, topped with onion, the rate I'm going. :) Forgot to take meat from the freezer. What will I be in another 10 years if I should be so well off? LOL.
Go to Top of Page

Ron

4666 Posts
Ronnie
Peever SD
USA

Posted - Nov 04 2014 :  3:41:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey!msounds like my life! Another ten Years? Same stuff ten years later maybe a little slower.

Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2014 :  4:52:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was waiting for you to say 70 Ron. LOL!
Go to Top of Page

Ron

4666 Posts
Ronnie
Peever SD
USA

Posted - Nov 04 2014 :  5:03:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well 70 ain't that old...at least I hope not..lol

Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2014 :  08:19:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, this morning I returned to the laboratory to make more mozzarella, and today I was extremely happy with the results. I think now, perhaps I wasn't allowing the cheese to get warm enough in the 175 degree whey before I started trying to stretch it. This morning it worked beautifully and the texture and looks were more what it's suppose to be like. Thanks for all your help and tips Ashley. Making cheese at Prairie Nectar and loving it!
Go to Top of Page

farmlife

1413 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2014 :  8:16:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I saw the title of this post, Janet and I was rooting for your mozzarella before I even opened it. It was sad that another cheese recipe didn't seem to be going well for you, so I'm glad it all seemed to work out in the end! We need pictures of the batch that turned out though. (If there's any left.) You have to document your successes, too.
Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2014 :  8:51:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I second the vote for pictures, Janet. It helps for those of us who have never attempted mozzarella...I am so impressed that you just keep trying it...love your perseverance!

Loving life and family on our Idaho farm, Meadowlark Heritage Farm; A few Jersey cows; a few alpacas; a few more goats, and even more ducks and chickens
Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2014 :  03:54:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello ladies. I had my mozzarella soaking in the whey in the refrigerator. Joe and I each had some last night along side our salad. Might shred it and put on homemade pizza this evening. If I can get time to get my pizza dough made and ducks in a row. I love the cheese making. I imagine with anything it will take some practice.

Go to Top of Page

Ron

4666 Posts
Ronnie
Peever SD
USA

Posted - Nov 06 2014 :  04:25:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice cheese Janet. Big wheels rolling!

Go to Top of Page

farmlife

1413 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2014 :  05:50:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's beautiful!
Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2014 :  06:11:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, it's just exciting making it as eating it!
Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2014 :  09:51:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks delicious, Janet. I am super impressed!

Loving life and family on our Idaho farm, Meadowlark Heritage Farm; A few Jersey cows; a few alpacas; a few more goats, and even more ducks and chickens
Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2014 :  10:05:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You are gonna be another step closer tomorrow, I keep thinking about you and Clover and I'm hoping for a "positive" outcome, you know what I mean. So my thoughts will be with you tomorrow as you find out the news, and you will have great support with MaryJane. Enjoy your day! Be sure and keep us posted. We're cow family you know. (Oh you should be impressed, with as many boo boos ;) I've had. But it's all worth it.)
Go to Top of Page

Ashley

167 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2014 :  11:27:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great looking mozzarella!

Ashley (MaryJane's DIL)
MaryJanesFarm Food Guru
Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2014 :  11:32:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks to you! You've been such a gracious and giving person with your help. I thank you so much. Like Ron says. Got to keep those wheels rolling.

Go to Top of Page

Ashley

167 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2014 :  12:34:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Definitely! We are in a really good rhythm here at the farm. We have plenty of cheese, and it seems like we have an aged wheel ready for eating about every week. It's so strange to not have cheese on my grocery list anymore, which just reminded me of something Adria said last night. We were out running errands and she was thirsty, so we grabbed a carton of Horizon organic milk. She took one drink and said "This milk is disgusting! That's ok, we have good milk at home, right Mommy?"

Ashley (MaryJane's DIL)
MaryJanesFarm Food Guru
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: