NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2014 :  12:39:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Out of the mouths of babes.
Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2014 :  2:30:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here are a couple photos of Adria with Lacy Lou.

MaryJane Butters, author of Milk Cow Kitchen ~ striving for the stoicism of a cow standing in the rain ~
Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2014 :  2:45:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How beautiful and precious is that? You have a beautiful family MaryJane. Lacy Lou is taking all the loving she can get. How is Mia doing?
Go to Top of Page

Ron

4666 Posts
Ronnie
Peever SD
USA

Posted - Nov 06 2014 :  4:25:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Adorable plus, what a beautiful young girl ! Both of them. :)

With a moo moo here and a moo moo there, here a moo, there a moo, everywhere a moo moo.
Go to Top of Page

Ashley

167 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2014 :  06:59:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Adria wanted to take Lacy Lou home. After the photos, she said that Lacy Lou told her (in her best deep cow voice of course) "You want to take me home with you and snuggle me and feed me."

Ashley (MaryJane's DIL)
MaryJanesFarm Food Guru
Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2014 :  07:30:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Too cute. I see a house barn in your future too Ashley. LOL. I don't blame Adria one bit, Lacy Lou looks like she is a very cuddly little girl. And for all we know that may just be exactly what Lacy Lou told Adria. She could probably tell that Adria is a good snuggle uggems.

To laugh is human but to moo is bovine. Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2014 :  9:07:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I cannot wait until I can cross cheese off of my grocery list! My daughter has made the same comment about goat milk as your daughter did regarding cow milk. Fresh milk from our backyard critters just tastes so much better.

Loving life and family on our Idaho farm, Meadowlark Heritage Farm; A few Jersey cows; a few alpacas; a few more goats, and even more ducks and chickens
Go to Top of Page

Ashley

167 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2014 :  2:20:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It does! In all fairness, it's tough to compete with fresh, unadulterated milk!

Ashley (MaryJane's DIL)
MaryJanesFarm Food Guru
Go to Top of Page

farmlife

1413 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2015 :  8:58:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay, it's my turn with the mozzarella questions. I've made 4 batches now and I think batch number 5 is going to be a total success. When I cool it in the ice water it seems to take on some of the water and alters the flavor a little (as in "Why is my mozzarella so wet?"). Is it okay to put it back in the whey for storing once the whey is cool again?
Go to Top of Page

Ashley

167 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2015 :  1:32:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Keeley,
You're right, since the mozzarella is soft, it wants to absorb some of the water it's stored in, which can lead to a little sogginess, especially in the outer layers. This might be useful to you: https://www.heritagejersey.org/chatroom/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=171
The mozzarella will still absorb some of the whey, but it shouldn't get soggy as quickly.

Ashley (MaryJane's DIL)
MaryJanesFarm Food Guru
Go to Top of Page

farmlife

1413 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2015 :  8:17:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Ashley! I've read all these before, but until I've actually made the cheese it doesn't always make sense. In real life if you will. It makes perfect sense now.
Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2015 :  8:23:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The last couple of days Ashley has made bone broth using our garden veggies and bones I had in the freezer. The flavor is incredible. I could live on that stuff. I couldn't figure out why it tastes so different than mine when I make it. Ashley's secret? Rind from a Parmesan wheel tossed into the crockpot. Save those rinds for soup!

MaryJane Butters, author of Milk Cow Kitchen ~ striving for the stoicism of a cow standing in the rain ~
Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2015 :  9:37:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Such a good tip regarding the cheese rinds. Can a person store them in the freezer until needed for bone broth?

I will be making some more chicken broth soon from some our many roosters that keep seemingly appearing out of nowhere. Guess I need to figure out parmesan cheese making very quickly!

Loving life and family on our Idaho farm, Meadowlark Heritage Farm; A few Jersey cows; a few alpacas; a few more goats, and even more ducks and chickens
Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2015 :  02:49:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I could easily see where that would impart great flavor. I'm with you on the bone soup, any soup for that matter. I just think soup is about the healthiest thing you can eat with all the vegetables and bone broth is suppose to be quite nutritional. Thanks for sharing Ashley's secret. Now, fire up the wood stove and let it simmer. :)

Go to Top of Page

Ashley

167 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2015 :  07:43:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It seems like the rinds could be stored in the freezer until you want to use them. I have been using the hard rinds from Parmesan, worried that if they are softer, they might melt into the broth. Since I let it all simmer in the crock-pot without stirring and strain the solids, I suppose it wouldn't really matter either way. I have a batch in the fridge I made yesterday that I'm going to boil with some fresh tortellini today. :)

Ashley (MaryJane's DIL)
MaryJanesFarm Food Guru
Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2015 :  07:49:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds delicious. You are just too far away Ashley. Thank you for the cheese rind in the broth/soup.

Go to Top of Page

GingerBKelly

274 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2015 :  08:49:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh my Lord, such great things in this thread. I LOVE the photos of Adria with Lacy Lou. She is such a sweet little girl, both of them! Children are wonderful, aren't they?

Ashley, I love the comment, "We have good milk at home, don't we momma?" (children are so honest)

Ya'll make me want to pull out some bone broth out of the freezer and veggies out of the garden and whip up some of that good stuff for supper (wondering if Romano cheese rind would work)! I think I shall....yummie!

~Ginger Kelly, Kelly Homestead Apiary, Charlton, MA~

gingerbkelly@gmail.com
When a cow laughs, does milk come out her nose? ~Author Unknown

Check us out on FB: https://www.facebook.com/KellyHomesteadApiary/
Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2015 :  12:12:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I definitely would try Romano cheese rind! Next week I need to set aside time to start making cheese. This is really making me hungry!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: