Chatroom

[flourish]
 All Forums
 Marketplace
 Bulls and Semen FOR SALE (or barter or swap)
 Beaumont
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Topic
Page: of 4

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2014 :  2:27:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is a current photo of my bull Beaumont, with almost no trace of his horns that were removed two weeks ago.

MaryJane Butters, author of Milk Cow Kitchen ~ striving for the stoicism of a cow standing in the rain ~

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2014 :  8:53:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He is a handsome boy!

Loving life and family on our Idaho farm, Meadowlark Heritage Farm; A few Jersey cows; a few alpacas; a few more goats, and even more ducks and chickens
Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2014 :  3:47:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I shared on another thread the unfortunate veterinary news I received this past week from the WSU Veterinary Hospital. My young bull, Beaumont, has hip dysplasia and will be euthanized tomorrow, buried in a remote spot on our farm overlooking what we call "The Purple Place" (a meadow full of purple widow grass every spring). We are heartbroken.

Later today, I'll get all the details typed in so you can learn from my mistakes, the biggest one being that I bought semen that had been collected from a bull that was too young to have his semen collected for public distribution. Plus it wasn't CSS certified. And it's still for sale even though I've found out the bull was "burgered" soon after because, "He had a bad back and just fell apart." I suspect I'm not the only unsuspecting owner of his offspring who have a health nightmare on their hands.

In the next photo you can see the patch on his neck where his hair was shaved to allow for his anesthesia port in preparation for the CAT scan that determined he had hip dysplasia as evidenced in his screen shots below.

In thinking about this further and going over some of what I know about the operation where his sire’s semen was collected, a health problem like this could be overlooked, not indefinitely, but for a few months beyond Beaumont’s diagnosis at five months of age. How much longer I don’t know, but for some people I suppose, as long as a bull can get up to eat and drink and is confined in a small space, you might think he was merely “stiff” from inactivity or weight gain (bulls put weight on quickly when young). And not everyone would have an animal show symptoms and get an expensive CAT scan done within two weeks time.

Hip dysplasia in dogs is well documented. Dog registries have stepped-up their disclosure requirements and testing in order to eliminate it, but it also occurs in horses, pigs and ruminants. It’s a malformation of the acetabulum with secondary joint lesions that develop over time, probably a result of inbreeding. You know what they say, "It's called line breeding when it works, and inbreeding when it doesn't." It is generally agreed that the condition is hereditary and the onset of symptoms is influenced by either high physical activity, rapid growth, or poor muscle mass development. Hip dysplasia in cattle has been reported exclusively in male animals, although my vet pointed out one report of hip dysplasia-like lesions in a three-year-old Belgian blue cow presented to the Ghent University for clinical lameness of the hind legs. The cow had been kept inside with limited free movement for approx. five months prior. The cow was stiff and had difficulty standing, and was brought in because it slipped and fell one day and was unwilling afterward to stand up. As the cow was living in severe pain and was suffering, it was euthanized by Ghent. A postmortem examination revealed dysplasia in both hip joints.

In bulls, affected animals are not clinically lame from birth, but become lame after a few months to three years. Many severely affected calves are culled before they are one year old. In less severe cases of hip dysplasia, young bulls are likely to show an inability to mount and serve but obviously, in my case, the bull was able to have his semen collected.

I bought Beaumont’s dam (Miss Daisy, $5,000 plus transportation costs) and his sire's semen ($75/straw/4 straws plus $130 shipping) from the same breeder in Colorado. After nosing around a little bit the last few days, the bull that she collected at a young age (because she wanted to be the first person to offer A2A2 miniature Jersey semen [non-CSS certified] was “burgered” prematurely (at around two years of age) because he "fell apart and had back problems." That's what I thought at first when Beaumont started acting "stiff." In fact, I had my chiropractor come out to work on him after a physical examination by my vets revealed mere head shaking. But I’m very connected to my animals and I persisted because I knew something wasn’t right.

After my vets had access to his CAT scan, they were very stern about the fact that "he must not be used for breeding ... he's living in pain and it will only get worse ... he MUST be euthanized as soon as possible … it’s the humane thing to do ... there is nothing that can be done surgically."

As a public service to people (and of course cattle) who may have already been affected by the same semen I purchased and also the fact that his semen is still for sale, here’s a link to the breeder and specifically the bull, Sure Shot Ambassador, http://www.sureshotcattle.com/Bulls.html

To complicate matters, there isn't a genetic test that can be done at this point to test for hip dysplasia other than using semen from a bull that is well past two years of age (ideally three and still very vital) in order to enable the symptoms to fully show up. And full disclosure. And a high-end registry with genetically verified parentage like I'm trying to establish. Now I have another reason why it's absolutely critical that standards be established and followed. When I purchased the semen, I was naïve and vulnerable. The miniature Jersey world has been problematic for vulnerable people throughout its entire existence.

I feel especially bad given I was buying the semen because I wanted a smaller animal (ideally a bull) with a lot of "paint" white markings, which is exactly what I got (and people want), along with … a terrible health menace, not just for me but because his semen was sold publicly, his genetics are probably infecting the entire miniature Jersey world as we speak. In my experience, full disclosure isn’t part of its personality. I also thought the fact that he was A2A2 was a plus. I haven’t bought into the A1 threat yet (more research for me please) but people are asking for A2A2 cattle based on the book “The Devil in the Milk.”

I suppose I could call myself a breeder, although I’ve only sold two animals (bulls) in all this time. I’ve struggled to sell animals for reasons that haven’t been clear to me, but this incidence brings my feelings into focus. Given the kind of loving, hands-on environment I provide, the collaboration between buyer and seller isn’t there yet for me. Buyers dream of the perfect cow, especially first-time buyers. For those of you who’ve raised children, are there perfect children? Can I buy one? Of course not. Are there perfect cows? Of course not. In my mind, that’s the beauty of cattle (once you know them). Their personalities are as wonderfully diverse as the personalities and traits of children. And so are their genetics.

As a breeder, the task has felt daunting at times—raising/breeding the “perfect” cow or bull. I spoke with a breeder recently who said, “I’m done. Done. I’m not selling any more cows. I get so tired of people calling with only two questions. Do you have an A2A2 cow and what’s the cost?”

By the time I graph out all the variables, polled, udder size, body size, A2A2, coloration, temperament, white-tipped tail or black-tipped tail, white socks or black socks, fawn-colored face as opposed to a dark-colored face, not prone to mastitis, B/B and A/A genetic variants for milk volume and milk fat for cheese making, and the long wait from inception to fruition (ideally a three-year old that has successfully calved once and her milk content/volume is known), I feel like I’ll never be able to answer, “Yes, I have the perfect cow for you.” Because now we factor in the YOU part of the equation. You only have this much experience, this much money.

The woman, Sara Haas (SureShotCattle.com), who sold me Miss Daisy, and also semen from her bull, Sure Shot Ambassador, has probably, I’m guessing, adapted her operation to the YOU in us. She moves a lot of cattle, buying and selling dozens every year, with some amount of breeding thrown in (most of those she does raise herself are bottle fed). Telling people what they want to hear is unfortunately a common adaptation that occurs when trying to give people what they’re asking for. Pretty soon, a breeder might be tempted to say, “Yes, I have the perfect cow for you. I can ship her out today if you’d like?” My challenge has been me wanting to say, “Maybe. Let me write a book for you first. And can you come for an entire week to make sure I’ve got the dots connected properly on the YOU and HER components of the equation? And, AND, my investment to date is three zeroes beyond a 12.

The visit would go something like this: “Welcome! Etta Jane paws the dirt like a bull. It’s menacing but she’s harmless, although she doesn’t like little children or small dogs and acts like she might charge them … Maizy is a sweetheart but she’ll pin you against the wall when you spray the mud off her feet unless you do it specifically this way … Sweetheart will kick you but a simple flank rope nips that behavior in the bud … Sally O’Mally likes to moan but I think it’s endearing … Miss Daisy has a large lump on her neck, the result of another cow hitting her with its head and breaking a bone … One of Eliza Belle’s teats is smaller that the other three … Which perfect cow are you interested in getting to know?”

Guess I’m headed in the direction of an adoption service (including all the scrutiny an adoption entails) as opposed to a dollar figure on a hang tag.

Because I don’t really know (trust) the background I’ve been given on Miss Daisy, I’ll hold back any bulls she births until they’re either three years old or one year old and scanned for dysplasia. (Research to date doesn’t point to Miss Daisy as the culprit/carrier in Beaumont’s hip dysplasia).

Feel free to ask me any questions or pitch in your two cents worth. I’ve been long winded but I had a lot to get off my chest this morning. I‘m loving/needing the companionship I’m finding here my friends, especially now. Many thanks!

MaryJane Butters, author of Milk Cow Kitchen ~ striving for the stoicism of a cow standing in the rain ~
Go to Top of Page

Ron

4666 Posts
Ronnie
Peever SD
USA

Posted - Sep 22 2014 :  4:13:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Elaine and I can only offer our heartfelt support. So sorry you and Nick and the Family have to deal with such a heart breaking situation. The little guy is a very lucky Bull to have you folks as owners. So many in the world would not be so humane.

With a moo moo here and a moo moo there, here a moo, there a moo, everywhere a moo moo.
Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2014 :  6:05:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My heart goes out to you and your entire family. These little guys and gals become a part of our family and we grow so close to them. I'm so sorry for your loss. It's heartbreaking. Even though this turned out the way it did, Beaumont gave you wisdom. You now know what not to do. Great little guy while he was here. We are all thinking of you.
Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2014 :  9:39:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You are in my thoughts, MaryJane. So sorry for your heartbreaking news and for the hard decisions that you and Nick have had to make. You have given Beaumont the best care possible. Take care.

Loving life and family on our Idaho farm, Meadowlark Heritage Farm; A few Jersey cows; a few alpacas; a few more goats, and even more ducks and chickens
Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2014 :  04:49:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys. Truly.

Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2014 :  05:22:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's a bit more info on the semen (I might add that Foundation Pure Miniature Jersey means absolutely nothing. It's a term in the miniature Jersey world that says, "We don't know who the sire or dam for this animal was and have no record so the sire/dam was "Foundation Pure Miniature Jersey." Sounds official, right?):

*****NEW SEMEN AVAILABLE*****
Miniature Jersey A2A2 Beta-Casein Semen

Here it is! What you have all been waiting for....Frozen Semen from Ambassador A2A2. Scroll down to order this semen and for bull information. Click to order!

Features of Sure Shot A2A2 Ambassador:

•Very small bull- measured 21 inches at birth.
•Should mature 42 inches or less. Veterinary Certified 37 1/2 inches at 22 months of age at the hook bone.
•Foundation Pure Registration Pending Until 3 Years Old.
•Beta-Casein Type A2/A2
•High Altitude Certified.
•Dam has very well attached udder with nice sized teats for hand milking.
•Triple registered with American Miniature Jersey Association, International Miniature Cattle Breeders Society and Miniature Jersey Herdbook & Registry.
•Excellent Temperament.
•Negative for Chondroplasia.

Foundation Pure Miniature Jersey

Riverview Bobby AMJ001

Foundation Pure Miniature Jersey

Pedigree: Sire: Sure Shot Captain Morgan

Foundation Pure Ralph Martin

Riverview Diane AMJ018

Registered Standard Jersey

Fyn Lemvig-ET

Mason Lemvig Jacinto-ET

Mason Delco June

Dam: Sure Shot Charlotte-Midsize 45 inches

Registered Mid-Size Jersey

Docheff's 6101- Registered Mid-Size Jersey

Registered Mid-Size Jersey

Frozen Semen available $75/straw. Quantity Discount Available.

Click here to purchase Sure Shot Ambassador A2A2 Semen. Once I have received your payment, I will contact you. At that point, you will be given the telephone number of the bull stud where the semen is housed. You will still need to pay for shipping of the semen to your location. It will cost you approximately $100 for shipping of the semen which includes: Container rental, postage to your location and return shipping on the container.

Go to Top of Page

Ron

4666 Posts
Ronnie
Peever SD
USA

Posted - Sep 23 2014 :  06:05:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another hard lesson learned. Just a Shame and hard to ever know for sure but still that you Nick and the kids Nd grandkids got to go through in loosing a loving friend. I have as yet had to put down a cow/ bull and hope I never have to. Thank you for the heads up on the line. I will stay away from that.

With a moo moo here and a moo moo there, here a moo, there a moo, everywhere a moo moo.
Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2014 :  06:46:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have no clue as to A2A2, A1A2 or whatever other kinds of A's there are out there. I know Nellie is from good stock, the semen I AI'd her with was from certified facility. I know I love her more than words can say, so I guess I'm not hung up on all the other stuff. Love goes beyond labels or problems. We want to prevent them if we can. I'm not a breeder, so the A2A2 isn't big on my "must have" cow list. Perhaps I shouldn't be a member because I just want a sweet dairy cow. I'm many years old so if there is something in the milk of one cow that is not as healthy as some type from another, I doubt I'm going to be bothered by it this late in the game. I might be concerned if I were younger, but I guess I just don't get it. I know my milk is healthier than anything you buy that's pasteurized. (MY OPINION) Maybe I should look deeper into Nellie's lineage. All I have is her certificate of registration in the American Jersey Cattle Association. Don't know much else about her, but thankful I was able to obtain her. (I looked for a couple of years and couldn't get a Jersey heifer calf.) Sienna, I bought from a dairyman a few miles from here. All I know about her is she is part Holstein Friesian and part Jersey(bred to Jersey, certified facility) As long as I have them just to milk for ourselves it probably don't matter that much. Breeding is extremely difficult I'm thinking.
Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2014 :  06:54:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All sounds perfect in your little bit of heaven, Janet, cow-wise and otherwise. I'm with you this morning, let the world go by.

Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2014 :  08:08:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have lots to learn I admit that time and again. I just contacted the guy who's bull semen I used for Nellie. He wrote back and said that Belles King is A2A2. First time I've ever wanted to check. I have no idea what Nellie is. But like Tim, quote "I'm skeptical when there are claims of something being the cause (or cure for) everything imaginable." Knowing this doesn't change my feelings for Nellie or Sienna, or there milk. Naive I may be, cautious too, but I'm willing to learn. If were not willing to learn, then what's left?
Go to Top of Page

Ron

4666 Posts
Ronnie
Peever SD
USA

Posted - Sep 23 2014 :  11:11:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Important to some Janet but I agree with you. We did the A2A2 thing based on some experiences that others have had and the preference of some customers. At the end of the day if each person is happy with their barnyards/pasture friends who's business is it but theirs. Always nice to know what you have and where it came from, but individual happiness is what it is all about!
And for crying out loud you definatly belong here. You and folks like you are the real deal and the only reason I am here myself. Folks like you selflessly give to others and when the cows come home nothing else will matter!

Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2014 :  11:33:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I guess I would weigh in on the A2A2 thing once I'd been drinking that kind of milk to see if there was any benefit I notice. I don't know if there is scientific proof or facts about this or if it's still just theory. I will have to read that "Devils in the Milk" book I guess and see what others are saying about it. I just never thought to look further into it because I never even heard of such a thing until I read about somewhere here in the chatroom. Maybe under the heading A1 vs A2, all the rage. Until here I didn't know about it. So it's up to me to look into it. But right now, satisfied, willing to learn more.
Go to Top of Page

Ron

4666 Posts
Ronnie
Peever SD
USA

Posted - Sep 23 2014 :  11:42:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There you go. One can never learn too much but sometimes it all hurts my head. :)

Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2014 :  1:27:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
NellieBelle, you most definitely belong here! This chatroom is mainly for those of us with very loved backyard cows...I have learned a lot from you! You have great wisdom from all of your experiences. I also think that there needs to be more studies done on the A2A2 milk. All the studies quoted go back to one source down in New Zealand, I believe. It would be nice to hear about studies done in Europe that show the same results. And, I just feel like we are going in the right direction just having our sweet cows and their fresh milk. In time, I might change my mind... Love your comment, "But right now, satisfied, willing to learn more." That's something for all of us!

Ron, yes my head hurts too at times with all the learning going on!

Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2014 :  2:36:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks you guys. You can teach an old dog new tricks!
Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2014 :  06:28:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How great is it to get an email like this in from your vet on the day you're in the process of saying goodbye to your little guy?

"Thinking of you today.
So sorry about Beaumont's diagnosis. :-(

I wanted to send you flowers, but you already have flowers...... or some cougar gold, but you make your own cheese...... wine? Do you make that too?? You are a hard woman to shop for! :-)

All joking aside, you are in my thoughts and prayers.
Please take care."

Go to Top of Page

Ron

4666 Posts
Ronnie
Peever SD
USA

Posted - Sep 24 2014 :  06:35:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Totally wonderfull. Always find out who your friends sure. The subtle little things mean the most. How did the grand children fare through it all? Kids? I know you are heartbroken but keeping it together. We all thought of you guys yesterday, something we do not look forward to ever facing for sure.

Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2014 :  06:51:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Also, mid-morning, I got a call from WSU saying that because there isn't a lot of published literature on hip dysplasia in the dairy world and none on miniature Jerseys in particular, would I consider a necropsy (autopsy) that would include a medical write-up. Absolutely.

I said goodbye and left little Beaumont standing alone in a containment area near the parking lot, next to a full-size cow in another enclosure. As I drove away, he seemed so small and helpless. And alone. It's harder with the little ones because they're dependent on others at that age and you feel like you let them down. In his case, we did. Quite a few people did.

I hope that as I begin to ask for important background from all parties involved and seek information on other bulls produced from this particular sire, everyone will put public interest and animal welfare first and offer assistance and full disclosure. I want to stop the continued sale of the semen (I know there's a big investment when a bull is collected) and the sale of semen from any of his offspring.

Here's the update from his doctor after the necropsy was performed:

Beaumont had significant bilateral hip dysplasia accompanied with a lot of boney changes in both hip joints. He also had OCD (osteochondrosis dissecans) lesions in some of his other joints. The lesions were noticeable on the CT scan, but the necropsy showed us how severe the hip dysplasia really was. The final necropsy report will tell us more in a few days. We also submitted liver samples for a mineral panel."

Go to Top of Page

Ron

4666 Posts
Ronnie
Peever SD
USA

Posted - Sep 24 2014 :  06:55:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The poor animal would have been miserable in a very short time.

Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2014 :  07:07:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poor little guy. I know your heart was breaking yesterday. Very difficult to leave him I'm sure. You are helping us all learn a valuable lesson. Know where we get our bull semen and learn all we can before any breeding. Beaumont was a little hero and we will learn much from him. You didn't allow him to suffer. Hope each day you heal a bit more and look to brighter days. My heart goes out to you. Find strength in knowing we all care and will learn from this with you.
Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2014 :  08:40:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The first thing I'm going to try to facilitate is to have all the people who bought Ambassador's semen contacted.

Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2014 :  09:14:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for sharing Beaumont's story and letting others learn from your experiences.

Go to Top of Page

Ron

4666 Posts
Ronnie
Peever SD
USA

Posted - Sep 24 2014 :  09:17:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Elaine said that is the way to go! Hate to see anyone go through what you went through.

Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2014 :  09:21:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
His mother bellowed all night and still is this morning. She's much more vocal than during weaning because when I wean, I keep the calves on the other side of a fence so they're still "present." I've been pampering her but nothing seems to console her. It's going to be a long work day for everyone here because a bellowing cow is so upsetting, especially given the circumstances. I feel so bad for her.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: