Printer Friendly
Author Topic  

chives

313 Posts
Victoria
Shelton WA
usa

Posted - Apr 29 2015 :  6:36:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Annabelle had her first heat. I saw some clear goo, it was thick. Is that the first day of coming in heat? She didn't moo that much. and didn't act any different than normal.

A cow is the heart of a farm

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2015 :  6:52:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, the little gal is growing up. I always went by how they behaved. Both my girls behavior changes. They moo, Nellie likes to walk around the fence line. Sienna is just oversexed, likes to mount everything. Have to keep an eye on that one. Sounds like Harriet may be a bit that way also.

To laugh is human but to moo is bovine. Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

Ron

4666 Posts
Ronnie
Peever SD
USA

Posted - Apr 29 2015 :  7:02:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah, yeah! Harriet is a real hussy....

With a moo moo here and a moo moo there, here a moo, there a moo, everywhere a moo moo.
Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2015 :  7:38:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Victoria, write it on your calendar. If the same symptoms happen again in 20 to 21ish days, you've called it correctly. It seems every cow acts differently. If you had another cow around, it might be easier to detect because they get rather chummy.

MaryJane Butters, author of Milk Cow Kitchen ~ striving for the stoicism of a cow standing in the rain ~
Go to Top of Page

chives

313 Posts
Victoria
Shelton WA
usa

Posted - Apr 29 2015 :  7:59:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you. I will write it down and really watch her next month. She is not a baby anymore.

A cow is the heart of a farm
Go to Top of Page

farmlife

1413 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2015 :  8:03:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They grow up so fast!
Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2015 :  9:40:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do chart the days...Last December I kept thinking Clover was back in heat and not bred as she would moo constantly up in a corner of her pasture on the hill. We still call it "Clover's Point"; however, she was actually not going into heat, but rather making her point that she would like a companion. MaryJane was so patient with me as we hauled Clover over to her farm more than once thinking that she was in heat and we wanted her bred to Beau Vine. Come to find out, Clover was already pregnant!! I am hoping this next fall will be easier to tell my cows' heat cycles since we now have sweet Betsy, too.

Loving life and family on our Idaho farm, Meadowlark Heritage Farm; A few Jersey cows; a few alpacas; a few more goats, and even more ducks and chickens
Go to Top of Page
  Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: