Bottle-fed vs. Teat-fed
 Ester's bottle-fed set-up
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Topic  

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2015 :  2:11:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's how I've ended up bottle-feeding Ester. She's exactly one week old in this photo (happy b-day sweetie pie Ester).

The standard bottle and bracket found in feed stores works but I found it needed a few nipple adjustments. I had to widen/cut the criss-cross slashes in the tip and then I had to drill the air-hole using a 1/16" drill bit so that it would actually let air into the bottle. The first time she latched on, she was frustrated because her sucking sucked the sides of the bottle in until she let go and then the bottle would find air through the hole in the nipple. I had merely pricked the hole they provide with an ice pick, but it basically closes up again. If you drill it open, you get a tiny air hole.

I use a 13-inch bungey cord that wraps around the bottle bracket and the rail to make the bottle stick out more horizontally. It's perfect. The bungey cord allows the bottle to move a little just like momma would. Plus, when Ester has the urge to head butt, she's butting air instead (it's kind of hilarious). She's able to latch on and drain the entire bottle with this set-up. I realize all this might change as she ages but it's been a good starting place for me.

MaryJane Butters, author of Milk Cow Kitchen ~ striving for the stoicism of a cow standing in the rain ~

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2015 :  2:51:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks good MaryJane! She's coming right along. What a cute photo.

To laugh is human but to moo is bovine. Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

farmlife

1413 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2015 :  4:57:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is that a mineral rock hanging, too?
Go to Top of Page

Ron

4666 Posts
Ronnie
Peever SD
USA

Posted - Apr 13 2015 :  5:05:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another fine piece of Idaho engineering

With a moo moo here and a moo moo there, here a moo, there a moo, everywhere a moo moo.
Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2015 :  5:17:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, it's a mineral red rock, kiddo size. I just fed her again and noticed that when she runs around (following me everywhere), you can hear the milk in her stomach sloshing around.

MaryJane Butters, author of Milk Cow Kitchen ~ striving for the stoicism of a cow standing in the rain ~
Go to Top of Page

Ron

4666 Posts
Ronnie
Peever SD
USA

Posted - Apr 13 2015 :  7:13:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Awwww...I thinks it love!

With a moo moo here and a moo moo there, here a moo, there a moo, everywhere a moo moo.
Go to Top of Page

farmlife

1413 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2015 :  7:17:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's funny!
Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2015 :  12:06:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We used to hear the milk sloshing in Clover's stomach too. Always made me want to make her stand still so I wouldn't get a stomach ache just listening to her!

Ester is darling. Does she like her mineral red rock? Does she lick it already?

Loving life and family on our Idaho farm, Meadowlark Heritage Farm; A few Jersey cows; a few alpacas; a few more goats, and even more ducks and chickens
Go to Top of Page

Sydney2015

1156 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2015 :  07:31:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
MaryJane, That's exactly what happened to AppleButter, I didn't think of using a drill to make the air hole bigger. Glad it worked out good!

A good laugh overcomes more difficulties and dissipates more dark clouds than any other one thing - Laura Ingalls Wilder

I live on a small farm of seventy acres called Green Forest Farm, with 10 horses, a donkey, 5 beef cows, 2 beef heifers, 3 Hereford heifers, around 60 chickens, 8 dogs, my amazing cow, AppleButter, and her little Jersey calf HoneyButter!
Go to Top of Page
  Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: