New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Topic
Page: of 3

txbikergirl

3197 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2016 :  5:28:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wanted to start a new thread on the adventures of Miss Sally O'Mally and myself, so that i don't keep posting to the "for sale" thread and get the hopes up of cow momma wannabes that might believe she is up for sale ;>

if you want to follow the initial "for sale" posting by Mary Jane and the eventual sale to us in Texas, then start here https://heritagejersey.org/chatroom/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=752

if you want to read about two new cow owners trucking a cow from Idaho to Texas and the effort it involves then go search the daily posts for September 25 2015 - October 5 2015 and see all the fun and glory involved.

miss sally o'mally in texas enjoying the good life

Firefly Hollow Farm , our little farmstead. Farmgirl living in the green piney woods of East Texas on 23 acres with a few jerseys, too many chickens, a pair of pugs and my Texan hubby (aka "lover boy")

Edited by - txbikergirl on Jan 16 2016 6:27:02 PM

txbikergirl

3197 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2016 :  5:42:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the bonding with sally o'mally continues, and the changes in her are interesting.

two things that have been fun to see in the last few weeks:
- one day when bringing elsa down to the pasture after sally, sally came over to lick on elsa for a moment before i put elsa in her paddock. for the first time ever, while sally licked on elsa i also stayed and loved on elsa. up until this point, whenever elsa was with sally that was NOT allowed - sally essentially had the opinion that i was not to be involved in sally/elsa time, she just shook her head at me and wanted me to leave them... but not anymore. i am now allowed in the herd ;>
- another day when bringing elsa down to the pasture after sally, sally came over and completely ignored elsa and came over and started licking me. so while i loved on elsa, sally loved on me. it was so very sweet. this has happened several times now.

we did have one negative thing which was an eye opener for me. about a week after the above events, in the evening i decided to take both cows back to the barn together. keep in mind that at this point i haven't seen either one since that morning when i moved them to the pasture separately. i said hi to sally, then went past her to get elsa and brought elsa out into sally's paddock so that i could lead both out. sally started jumping and kicking and came right toward us to ram us, so out of the blue and out of character... i thought she was after me at first, then i realized she was going after elsa - she was jealous of elsa and wanted elsa away from me. once she got elsa out of the way, sally went over to the gate by me and waited for me to come take her to the barn. she was patient and put her head down for me to put her halter on, and she walked patiently back to the barn for me... because at that point i decided i would not attempt to take both back at the same time. i always try to be very aware around the cows to ensure i don't get hurt or blindsided, but there are some things you just can't foresee. and i have taken them both to/from the barn together many times prior without incident.... but this was during the first month of sally really bonding to me, and i think she was overcome with jealousy. this has not happened since, but i am being careful. i have had them both together since then, and trying to make sure it is positive relationships all around.

in the last week she has calmed down, as if she is now secure with the relationship. when i first started the intense bonding with her and really trying to love on her regularly she started to get really needy. that is when she started stopping outside the milking parlor post milking for a 10 minute petting session, and then on the way back to the pasture stopping for several more sessions. it was all good fun, but she was really needy about it. now whenever i come around she is sweet and loving and we enjoy a lot of scratching and loving, but we can do a few minutes here and there and i can go about my business around her without her getting upset and demanding.

i believe the sequence of the events isn't coincidence. sally is moving to bond with me, to move from mom to friend with elsa, and as she moved toward bonding more with me she was then jealous of elsa. but now that she has moved more into a secure space i think we are really getting to where we need to be.

also, the halter training is amazing. she literally just comes up to me each morning when i go to the gate and grab her halter and lead, and she leans her head into me and on the halter goes. and then i reward her with scratches all over.

Firefly Hollow Farm , our little farmstead. Farmgirl living in the green piney woods of East Texas on 23 acres with a few jerseys, too many chickens, a pair of pugs and my Texan hubby (aka "lover boy")

Edited by - txbikergirl on Jan 15 2016 5:59:38 PM
Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2016 :  6:34:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is such important work. And the telling of it is perhaps even more important. Giving Sally her own thread is a good idea. Now I know what I'm going to tune into regularly, the Sally O'Mally hour. It'll be the best soapie on prime time. Awesome work, Cindy! I hope your serial drama continues, 'cause I'm lovin' it as much as Sally does:)

MaryJane Butters, author of Milk Cow Kitchen ~ striving for the stoicism of a cow standing in the rain ~
Go to Top of Page

txbikergirl

3197 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2016 :  6:48:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks mary jane, i appreciate that. i think about you every day when i am with sally, physically and mentally she is just doing great here in texas and that warms my heart every day.

and i got the most adorable sally o'mally labels from my fairy godmother in idaho - thank you! just arrived today, haven't even had a chance to share with lover boy yet.

you know, with all my animals (pugs and sally) i am the THIRD owner. with the dogs that always gave me pause, as it seemed no matter if they come from good circumstances or bad... once they are onto the third caretaker/owner i think they cling for bonding, but are somewhat hesitant at the same time. i wonder if that was also part of what sally was going through, should she commit to me and buy into this new relationship - or would she just have to move on again later. thats why i wonder if my niece coming just shocked her as she thought i was already sending her on her way... something to ponder. i know you put so much into bonding with the animals you acquire. its such a commitment. and so rewarding.

Edited by - txbikergirl on Jan 15 2016 6:49:04 PM
Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2016 :  8:47:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm in a constant state of ponder when it comes to the cows I live with. I, too, thrive on break-through moments like you describe. But I have to say that for whatever reason, they aren't as readily accessible as say Jasper is. I assume size has something to do with it. And access. Jasper is in the house with me a good deal of time. In my more out there moments, I've pondered how to have, say, Ester Lily inside for cuddle time. Or Sweet William. What would I learn then? A great deal more, I think.

There was a full house here today and lots of action. People were scurrying all over, moving things, staging photos, laughing, cooking food, eating. Both Meg and Kristi said separately something like, "Jasper is in quite the mood today." Life of the party he was! He'd hide and then jump out as someone passed. He'd dash across the room, tossing a paw in your way and then run as if his life depended on it. He jumped on desks, scattering paper everywhere. He hopped sideways and arched his back--our own personal feline Gene Kelly! Tonight he's exhausted. He could barely keep his head out of his bowl when he ate his dinner. Clearly, he was joyful today. And happy. And content. I would love to be a participant in bringing more joy into the lives of my cows.

MaryJane Butters, author of Milk Cow Kitchen ~ striving for the stoicism of a cow standing in the rain ~
Go to Top of Page

txbikergirl

3197 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2016 :  06:53:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well stated. i have pondered that if i had the time with the cows that i had with the pugs, how much faster and deeper the relationship would evolve. especially with a young calf like elsa, she hasn't had as much worry in the world and is so open to everything - she would just be part of the pug pack if we could let her inside. lover boy already told me last week, "don't even think about it". the lack of potty training is an issue!

Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2016 :  06:59:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Elsa was like an open book for me also. Like Karina said, "She just walks up to you and gives you her head." She had zero reservations about humans. When they're little, we give them lots of cuddle time here. I curled up and slept with her a few times, both of us covered in a comforter I keep nearby in a Rubbermaid tub.

Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2016 :  07:02:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tell Lover Boy what I threaten on occasion--me moving in with my cows. When I was a young teenager, I moved into our family's chicken coop, sleeping on a cot.

Go to Top of Page

txbikergirl

3197 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2016 :  09:26:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i don't want your name to become a curse word around here ;> right now you are a positive force on the thompson farmstead!

but i do already have the cot picked out on amazon for the barn. no joke. i took notice of your little calf waiting periods the last few years and knew i needed one... and then when elsa got sick the first month she was here it furthered the commitment. right now i just go sit on the straw with elsa once in awhile late at night when she is bedded down. come to think of it, i haven't done that the past month and now that sally is bonding to me i think i need to go spend some cuddle time with her at night too...

Go to Top of Page

txbikergirl

3197 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2016 :  6:25:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"hi y'all. miss you mary jane!"

you can see we are finally having a few freezing evenings that are taking care of some of the pasture...

Edited by - txbikergirl on Jan 16 2016 6:28:43 PM
Go to Top of Page

farmlife

1413 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2016 :  7:44:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've seen a lot of pictures of Sally, but this one is my favorite. She looks so content!
Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2016 :  03:27:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice!

To laugh is human but to moo is bovine. Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

txbikergirl

3197 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2016 :  11:30:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks janet and keeley, its so nice to have fellow cow lovers to tell us how purdy our cows are!

Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2016 :  1:40:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
An ideal photo of Sally ... she looks peaceful and full of contentment. Great pose too in a beautiful setting!

Loving life and family on our Idaho farm, Meadowlark Heritage Farm; A few Jersey cows; a few alpacas; a few more goats, and even more ducks and chickens
Go to Top of Page

Sydney2015

1156 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2016 :  9:26:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sally looks beautiful!

A good laugh overcomes more difficulties and dissipates more dark clouds than any other one thing - Laura Ingalls Wilder

I live on a small farm of seventy acres called Green Forest Farm, with 10 horses, a donkey, 5 beef cows, 2 beef heifers, 3 Hereford heifers, around 60 chickens, 8 dogs, my amazing cow, AppleButter, and her little Jersey calf HoneyButter!
Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2016 :  08:14:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sally says: A contented heart is the beginning of greatness. I'm lovin' my new home, lovin' being a milk cow, and lovin' what's next. Stay tuned! More great things to come.

Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2016 :  10:26:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think, too, that Sally is allowing us all to see what a wonderful, insightful cow person Cindy is becoming.

Loving life and family on our Idaho farm, Meadowlark Heritage Farm; A few Jersey cows; a few alpacas; a few more goats, and even more ducks and chickens
Go to Top of Page

txbikergirl

3197 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2016 :  6:32:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks charlene! i have to admit that having cows is everything i knew it would be in my heart... i don't know exactly when i decided i needed cows, or why, but i knew it would be an extension of our family and an important step. and now it seems like i have had cows for decades... yes i can still be a bit clueless, but it seems natural. its my life now. and my heart. and its lovely.

Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2016 :  6:48:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beautifully said, Cindy. I'm grateful to be able to see this all unfold here in the chat room.

Go to Top of Page

txbikergirl

3197 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2016 :  2:22:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sally and elsa in the pasture today. sally has been a bit needy again the past few days, especially if i give elsa attention. so i am trying to give sally what she needs/wants . .. pregnancy hormones out of control? can't we all relate?

it looks all sweetness in the photo, but elsa appears to be wanting to dominate everyone and everything during her terrible two phase right now so before and after this photo mom was putting her in her place. its nice to have mommy cow doing this as well as us, some repetition for the sweet calf ;>

Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2016 :  4:29:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beautiful photo of Sally and Elsa.

To laugh is human but to moo is bovine. Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2016 :  4:33:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pretty picture of your girls! Thanks for the explanation, though, as you can see Elsa's ears are back while Sally's are forward ... both not having the same feeling at the same time! Sally looks like she is watching Cindy while Elsa has her eyes on Sally, waiting for her move. It makes me smile.

Go to Top of Page

txbikergirl

3197 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2016 :  4:55:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
very observant charlene! i am trying to spend more time each day with both of them together out in the pasture, trying to see how the dynamic goes. elsa is definitely trying to dominate sally right now, and was pushing lover boy and me with the head butting recently, but sally just the past three days has decided she is NOT happy with me giving elsa any attention. any. she is so content each morning when i stop in to see her and love on her, until i move on to feed and pet elsa, and then when i return immediately to sally she is shaking her head at me and being difficult... its all fascinating.

Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2016 :  5:05:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cow relationships ... You could write a book, Cindy, in your spare time. I have fun watching my animals and how they relate and respond to one another. If you are quiet, you can really watch and make some fascinating observations.

Go to Top of Page

txbikergirl

3197 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2016 :  5:46:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

so my sally o'mally is doing really well and i thought i would update y'all.

there are subtle things that have changed since our relationship has evolved and she has decided she will deign to embrace me and accept my love and attention.

things like she lets me mess with her food now, while she is eating. in the milking parlor, normally i come along during milking and try to pull some of the food she has pushed into the corners out into the middle of her box so she can access it - she used to push me around with her head, like i was trying to take her food. now she lets me stick my dustpan into her box and push the food around and doesn't mess with me. its like she knows i am helping her, not stealing her food.

she also lets me mess with her udder and teats when outside the milking parlor. she is so easy in the milking parlor, that it was a shock to me one day when i tried to check something out in her corral and she lifted her foot to brush me off - i was watching so no harm done, but it was like she would only allow my attention in the parlor, nowhere else. now it is different, she lets me check things out wherever she is, she no longer restricts my access.

and she comes to me freely for her harness on each morning. i worked with her to let me put it on and take off each morning and evening, and now i have trained her that it takes place in one corner of the corral each morning. i would say it goes well 5 out of 7 days, the other 2 she has attitude and it takes a bit of work ;> i walk over to the corner and grab her harness and lead, and she comes over. sometimes she just puts her head up and i slip on the harness, sometimes she plays around a bit and i wait for her to hold her head up to slip it on. but 5 out of 7 days it goes smoothly and we are off to the milking parlor. the 2 problem days she decides to go to the gate instead and put her butt to me... and then i just stand in the corner and tell her we aren't going anywhere without the harness. i won't go to her, she has to comply. if she turns around and puts her head toward me then i will step forward and put the harness on, as she knows she is complying and she met me half way ... but if she stays turned away from me i won't budge as i am not going to let her win. so far she has always eventually turned around to me and put her head near me so that i could put the harness on.

i am taking my training exercises as if i was training my dogs. it is working so well. when training my pugs i quickly transitioned from treats to rewards to love as rewards, and so with sally i am using affection and scratching/love as her reward. when she comes to me, i love her all over and scratch her favorite parts. just like the dogs, i find this is truly the best reward as it not only rewards them - but the reward is something that deepens the bond between both of you, which is more important. treats tend to get in the way as a reward after a bit as they just want the food, and start to ignore you if you don't have it - so they aren't bonding to you, they just want the treat.

at this point i don't know what the next step in training is. i am just working on this every day and ensuring that the current foundation is solid before moving forward. i also want the trust as deep as possible before the calf is born so we can have as good a situation as possible when that occurs as i am sure it will be complex given momma's new hormones.

one cute thing, i have found that when walking from the parlor to the pasture in the morning if i sing and chat with her she never tries to check out grass or distractions - she just follows me along and we arrive without a hitch. whereas if i am silent she will find things to try to wander off the path to.

Edited by - txbikergirl on Mar 02 2016 6:07:00 PM
Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2016 :  7:37:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And, you can see her baby tummy on the right side in your last photo! How fun!

Thank you for all of your updates ... love all the time you invest in Sally and Elsa. I also appreciate your perspective and experiences.

Well done.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: