New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Topic
Page: of 2

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2015 :  6:01:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
MaryJane, in your book under Cheese (Fridge) Cellar you mention you mounted the unit (A419 Digital Thermostat) on the side of the fridge with adhesive. Do you possible know what kind or name of the adhesive you used to accomplish this. Have everything done but attaching it to the fridge. No hurry, if you get time. Will just lay it on top of fridge for now. Thank you.

To laugh is human but to moo is bovine. Author Unknown

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2015 :  9:44:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I will check in the a.m. for you, Janet. I can't remember exactly. I think maybe it's hanging on two short sheet rock screws drilled into the fridge skin with caulking around the temperature probe. Or maybe it's held on with some of those adhesive foam-type strips. I can take a few close-up pics in the a.m. Soon, you'll have a care-free cheese cellar!

Ashley harvested some Monterey Jack from ours today and divvied it up. VERY sharp and awesome creamy. I sent a wheel of soft Parmesan home with Carol.

MaryJane Butters, author of Milk Cow Kitchen ~ striving for the stoicism of a cow standing in the rain ~
Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2015 :  03:39:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you MaryJane. Yes, I'm glad we have cellar fridge, "just about finished". Only problem is I'm running out or room. I keep using the cheese but it keeps multiplying. :) A nice problem. I just took Asiago out of brine at 9:00 last night. Thank you again for checking on how the unit is attached to fridge. I'll be finishing that up today.

Go to Top of Page

Ron

4666 Posts
Ronnie
Peever SD
USA

Posted - Jan 23 2015 :  05:57:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The only cheese around here is the cheesy grin on my face thinking about all you guys make. I keep thinking that if them guys can do it I know I can do it!

Behind every successful man is a woman with great ideas telling Him " you can do it"
Or around here behind every successful Rancher is a wife with a job in town.

With a moo moo here and a moo moo there, here a moo, there a moo, everywhere a moo moo.
Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2015 :  06:29:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I ask Joe a question, he says, "I don't know anything about it" So I tell him what to do. :) So just have Elaine guide you through Ron. Success!

Go to Top of Page

Ron

4666 Posts
Ronnie
Peever SD
USA

Posted - Jan 23 2015 :  07:47:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Too late, she has been bossing....ooppppsss. I mean guiding me for 25 years come April.

With a moo moo here and a moo moo there, here a moo, there a moo, everywhere a moo moo.
Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2015 :  08:05:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's really wonderful. And trust me Ron, me making anything even slightly resembling cheese is a milestone. You saw how my first attempts looked. Sad, sad, sad. I hope you don't have any of the problems I had. Mine was all to do with the culture I used to make the buttermilk and yogurt. Once I changed that everything has been working out fine. So be sure and post photos. You should be up to your neck in milk by now. :) If you don't use it all to bathe. ;)

Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2015 :  10:31:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karina is snapping a few photos for you Janet. The self-tapping sheet metal screws are short, like 1/2 inch but you don't really need to do it that way. Some adhesive foam strips or Velcro would also work. You have to be careful when using screws because all fridges are different and some have the coils right under the skin. Caulk around the probe. The photos will help. Coming soon!

MaryJane Butters, author of Milk Cow Kitchen ~ striving for the stoicism of a cow standing in the rain ~
Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2015 :  10:49:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you MaryJane. I caulked around the probe, but still need to mount the unit and then it will be completed. Photos will be helpful. Thank you. Nothing hanging loose then. Thank Karina for me too. Appreciate you both helping me get this all put together.

Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2015 :  10:54:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2015 :  11:41:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you MaryJane. I will try and find information on this refrigerator to see if there are any coils where I want to put screw holes. It's a Whirlpool Limited Edition, model: ET18NKXRNR4 I will try and Google it and see what comes up. Maybe it will show me where the coils are. Thanks again.

Go to Top of Page

Ron

4666 Posts
Ronnie
Peever SD
USA

Posted - Jan 23 2015 :  12:49:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmmmmmm all this technical stuff. Brain too small here to soak it all up. I guess the days of wrapping my cheese in the saddle blanket and rolling up for the trail is gone?😊

Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2015 :  1:06:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Never, sounds down right wonderful. Have to make the cheese first, age it, then wrap it in saddle blanket for the trail. Yum! I couldn't find any information on that model of refrigerator so, I will either chance it or find some self adhesive velcro I guess. Can't find out if there are any coils just under the skin of fridge or not. So probably better just use the velcro.

Go to Top of Page

farmlife

1413 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2015 :  4:03:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Before you put the sticky velcro on clean the area with rubbing alcohol and let it dry. If there is any residue it might not adhere.
Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2015 :  4:33:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the tip Keeley.

Go to Top of Page

GingerBKelly

274 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2015 :  08:04:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is this a "regular" consumer-type refrigerator, used to age cheese?

~Ginger Kelly, Kelly Homestead Apiary, Charlton, MA~

gingerbkelly@gmail.com
When a cow laughs, does milk come out her nose? ~Author Unknown

Check us out on FB: https://www.facebook.com/KellyHomesteadApiary/
Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2015 :  08:17:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, a regular 'ol refrigerator.

Loving life and family on our Idaho farm, Meadowlark Heritage Farm; A few Jersey cows; a few alpacas; a few more goats, and even more ducks and chickens
Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2015 :  08:19:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes. Mine is a older Whirlpool refrigerator that I added the digital thermostat and it's been doing an excellent job. All described in MaryJane's "Milk Cow Kitchen" book. I'm telling you, if it's something you need to know it's in her book. :) You can see the probe in the upper right side of the refrigerator. That's what regulates the digital thermostat to keep the cheese at the correct temperature. MaryJane explains how to convert a regular refrigerator into a cheese cellar.

Go to Top of Page

GingerBKelly

274 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2015 :  08:32:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OMG, NellieBelle! I am so happy to know this! I will order MaryJane's "Milk Cow Kitchen" book, asap! Thank you so much. I can't wait to show my husband Ken this wonderful wonderful idea! We both love saving money and this is probably the best, most cost-effective, solution for not having a root cellar I've seen yet. I'm sooo excited.

gingerbkelly@gmail.com

Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2015 :  08:32:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Janet, all your cheeses look amazing in your "cheese cellar." Well done!

Loving life and family on our Idaho farm, Meadowlark Heritage Farm; A few Jersey cows; a few alpacas; a few more goats, and even more ducks and chickens
Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2015 :  08:36:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning Charlene, soon-to-be cow nanny. I mean heifer:)

Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2015 :  08:50:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Charlene, and Ginger. That will be what both your fridge cheese cellar will look like soon enough. Even better I'm sure. Holding all the cheese wheels that you make for your family. I'm excited for both of you. Miss Clover is soooooo close. Hang in there Charlene.

Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2015 :  09:04:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, Clover is getting close and I'm getting beyond excited ... and nervous! I so hope all goes well!

Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2015 :  09:12:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Try to stay calm. It's nearly impossible, but Clover will pick up on that nervousness and excitement. So stay internally excited and nervous, and calm on the outside, don't let it show. :) We're all hoping good things for Clover and her firstborn calf. I can show my excitement and nervousness because she can't see it.

Go to Top of Page

GingerBKelly

274 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2015 :  07:31:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great! I just ordered the Milk Cow Kitchen book and it's on it's way to our Homestead. This will be great. I can't wait to see Clover and her calf, too. So exciting! :)

gingerbkelly@gmail.com

Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2015 :  4:35:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Janet, you are right and I've been staying calm with Clover. I guess I just let me nervousness come out in the chatroom. :-) I think it is pretty cool that Clover is having her baby on the same farm where she herself was born!

Kelly, you'll need to post pictures of your cheese cellar when you get it up and running. I'd love to see it.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: