She’s all mine!
 Meet MaryJanesFarm Noble Fanci
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Topic  

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2014 :  09:50:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's a photo (taken last summer) of the newest addition to my herd, Firgrove Noble Fanci, or as we've been calling her, Fanci Free, Miss Fanci Pants, Fanci Chanci, and Fanci Nanci (big thanks to my fellow cow lovers for all the name ideas!).

Fanci as in BIG. She's bigger than my biggest bull and is the most docile animal I've ever owned. I think I've found the cow we can saddle up and ride:) I'm looking for production milk with this gal. Reportedly, she'll give me 8 gallons when she freshens. I'll get her measured today, take some current photos of her with her winter coat on (it's a good thing, it's C-O-L-D here), and put her with my bull, Samson.

I'll also write up the protocol I went through before bringing her here. And I have her scheduled for a hoof trim later this week.

I'm in love!

MaryJane Butters, author of Milk Cow Kitchen ~ striving for the stoicism of a cow standing in the rain ~

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2014 :  10:02:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow MaryJane she is large! I can see why she could give 8 gallons of milk when she freshens. What beautiful markings she has and isn't it wonderful she is such a sweet girl. Especially with her size. Now how on earth could you not fall in love with her. Happy for you and the newest member to your cow family. She is lovely MaryJane. Can't wait to see her in her winter coat. (nice looking udder in the photo)

Edited by - NellieBelle on Dec 01 2014 10:03:51 AM
Go to Top of Page

farmlife

1413 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2014 :  12:06:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
She looks to be a total sweetheart. Congratulations, MaryJane!
Go to Top of Page

Ron

4666 Posts
Ronnie
Peever SD
USA

Posted - Dec 01 2014 :  1:51:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Boy She sure looked related to Harriet! Very nice looking Cow! When She calves you better have new seals for the Milker. :)

With a moo moo here and a moo moo there, here a moo, there a moo, everywhere a moo moo.
Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2014 :  2:13:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We put Samson in with her and it isn't just the usual, maybe, or call me later, it's NO. For now. Just you wait little Miss Fanci pants. And yes, she does look like Harriett. I'm partial to the paint on a Jersey which probably dates back to when Guernseys and Jerseys were one and the same. Looking forward to replacing my milk seals:) Stand back!!!! I'm MILKING. Seriously.

MaryJane Butters, author of Milk Cow Kitchen ~ striving for the stoicism of a cow standing in the rain ~
Go to Top of Page

Mike

1667 Posts
Mike
Argyle WI
United States of America

Posted - Dec 01 2014 :  2:51:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yup, it looks like this is your Big Chance~
Go to Top of Page

Mike

1667 Posts
Mike
Argyle WI
United States of America

Posted - Dec 01 2014 :  2:52:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like Samson is going to need stilts.
Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2014 :  3:28:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's chanci, this big girl Fanci but where there's a will ...

Go to Top of Page

chives

313 Posts
Victoria
Shelton WA
usa

Posted - Dec 01 2014 :  3:35:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
She has beautiful markings. Samson is just trying to figure out how he is going to go about this. lol. Will you milk her twice a day?

A cow is the heart of a farm
Go to Top of Page

Ron

4666 Posts
Ronnie
Peever SD
USA

Posted - Dec 01 2014 :  3:53:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love that black mask. Now that's a milk cow if I ever seen one ! Looks like a decent sized bull to me, I think he is up to it! I'll bet two pails of milk on Samson.

With a moo moo here and a moo moo there, here a moo, there a moo, everywhere a moo moo.

Edited by - Ron on Dec 01 2014 3:55:28 PM
Go to Top of Page

farmlife

1413 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2014 :  7:50:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I bet you are right, Ron. Samson's not going to let a little thing like size intimidate him. The dynamics of the two of them getting to know each other has got to be fun to watch.
Go to Top of Page

Ron

4666 Posts
Ronnie
Peever SD
USA

Posted - Dec 01 2014 :  9:34:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No kidding. One of the best parts of owning cows to me has always been the live mount breeding. It is just so nice to watch the animals bond. Last breeding here was Angelo and Speckles and Rocky the bull calf was with them. Everyone was one big family, no hassles no problems. I guess that is why I let Speckles go, they had to agree to the whole family or none.

Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2014 :  04:23:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, "natural" seems so much nicer than the AI, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do. From the picture Samson looks to be relatively good size next to Fanci but he may be back in the photo a ways. No worries. MaryJane wouldn't put them together if she didn't think it was a right fit. We are all so well off to have such gorgeous animals to love and care for. Just love seeing them all.
Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2014 :  08:26:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was privileged to get a peek at Fanci when I got to visit Clover on Monday. Wow...Fanci is even bigger than the photos show! But she is also so beautiful! And calm...but I can tell you that I would need to work up to that kind of size for sure. I thought Clover was big compared to my goats, but my goodness, Clover is a petite little thing after seeing Fanci. Fanci's markings are really pretty and her udder looks big even now when she's dried up! MaryJane will surely have lots of milk for anything she wants!

Loving life and family on our Idaho farm, Meadowlark Heritage Farm; A few Jersey cows; a few alpacas; a few more goats, and even more ducks and chickens
Go to Top of Page
  Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: