Entremanureship
 Entrepreneurship Ideas
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Topic  

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2014 :  9:49:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I haven't done anything with Jersey cows yet...but I did start a goat milk soap business using the raw milk from my goats. A few years ago, we bought two goats with the intention to use the milk for our family as our daughter has allergies to cows' milk. I ended up with extra milk from my dairy goats and started to look for ways to use the excess. One way that popped up was to make soap. I started creating soap, friends and family loved it and encouraged me to start selling my soaps. It has been a fun home business! Our kids help with it and my mom helps with it as well...truly a family affair! I thoroughly enjoy creating new kinds...I use a lot of essential oils in my soaps and create new blends with different combinations of oils. And, most importantly, everyone in our family uses the soap and likes it. In fact, my daughter has extremely sensitive skin and my goat milk soap has helped with healing her skin. It is the only soap that she uses now. Goat milk has many healing properties and is extremely moisturizing. Just today I made enough soap for 160 bars...it is still in the molds and I will cut it in a day or two. Makes my mudroom smell delightful!

Loving life and family on our Idaho farm, Meadowlark Heritage Farm; A few Jersey cows; a few alpacas; a few more goats, and even more ducks and chickens

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2014 :  9:16:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your soaps are beautiful. I've picked them up before at Essence and Spence. Great marketing by the way!

MaryJane Butters, author of Milk Cow Kitchen ~ striving for the stoicism of a cow standing in the rain ~
Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2014 :  9:30:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you, MaryJane! I appreciate your comments!

As we get to milk our Jerseys, I am just looking forward to using the milk for my family and making butter, cheese, and yogurt out of it. I suppose that wouldn't be as entrepreneurial; but, it will cut down on our needs from the grocery store and be healthier, too! I love that and cannot wait!

Loving life and family on our Idaho farm, Meadowlark Heritage Farm; A few Jersey cows; a few alpacas; a few more goats, and even more ducks and chickens
Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2014 :  09:32:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We make lots of cheese with our Jersey milk. We use it whole rather than skim the cream off because the cheeses, like Parmesan, are creamier and more flavorful. Right now I have five large wheels of Parmesan aging in my cheese cellar (a converted refrigerator that I keep at 55 degrees). And we make yogurt and things like sour cream routinely. Next week I want to experiment with adding dried crushed red chili peppers to a wheel of cheese and then age it for two months.

MaryJane Butters, author of Milk Cow Kitchen ~ striving for the stoicism of a cow standing in the rain ~
Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2014 :  2:41:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I really am looking forward to making cheese with our Jersey milk. Does your new book have cheese recipes and descriptions on how to go about it? I hope so! Cannot wait for the book! Adding red chili peppers to a wheel of cheese sounds delicious!

Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2014 :  4:39:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, I have 15 cheese recipes in my book. Here's a photo of my cheese cellar fridge.

Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2014 :  9:26:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My mouth is watering just looking at your beautiful cheeses. It will be so exciting to try my hand at making cheeses...and your idea of using a refrigerator as your cheese cellar is wonderful. Just opening the door would make me happy seeing all those gorgeous cheese rounds. Thank you for sharing your photo with us! Now, if only you could share cheese samples via the computer!

Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2014 :  01:02:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's a great feeling to make cheese for your family's needs. I especially love the way my grand kids gobble it up.
Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2014 :  9:02:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just read an article on msnbc.com that listed ten or eleven grocery items that were going to dramatically increase in price...milk and cheese were two of them! Makes having a Jersey even more important, not to mention how much more nutritious home-grown or home-made food can be. Still looking forward to making my own cheese! Where do you get your rennet?

Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2014 :  10:46:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I get both my animal and vegetable rennet from CulturesForHealth.com.
Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2014 :  9:38:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Where do you get your other cheese making supplies?

Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2014 :  07:02:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I get them from several places: CulturesForHealth.com, BobWhiteSystems.com, Lehmans.com, and Amazon.com. All the equipment and supplies we use are listed out all neat and tidy in my book as to what you buy where. I daresn't condense it here because that section of my book took my DIL and me 2.5 years to complete!

Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2014 :  12:10:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cannot wait for the book!! Is June still the scheduled release date?

Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2014 :  10:46:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, according to Amazon BUT my publisher told me the books will be in their SLC warehouse on May 1, so it can't possibly take a month for them to be distributed. With my last book, it did in fact come out sooner than they'd said.

Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2014 :  8:41:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh good...I. cannot. wait. :-)

Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2014 :  10:16:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another entrepreneur idea that my mom and I added to our local farmers market booth this past weekend...Holiday gift baskets! My mom hand embroiders kitchen towels and I make the soaps and lotions. So we combined them into a basket: kitchen towel, goat milk soap/wooden soap dish, and a jar of goat milk crème. So fun to package them up and decorate it! I had fun...

Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2014 :  10:43:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very beautifully done! Nothing better than that personal touch, and knowing it natural.
Go to Top of Page

Ron

4666 Posts
Ronnie
Peever SD
USA

Posted - Sep 22 2014 :  1:45:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow. Very nice! Do they ship ups ? Lol

With a moo moo here and a moo moo there, here a moo, there a moo, everywhere a moo moo.
Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2014 :  9:48:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you!

And, yes, we have shipped all over the US and even internationally! :-)

Go to Top of Page
  Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: