New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Topic
Page: of 2

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2019 :  07:30:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So amazingly beautiful, Janet. I know all the digging is hard, but so stunningly beautiful. What a place to be. Just think of all the seasonal changes and hard times your trees and you have been through together.

We're getting snow again right now but nothing like you have. Temps are in the 20s. I stayed up half the night getting caught up. Time for a second cup of tea.

Milk delivery today. More bookkeeping. I made Adria her requested b-day dinner Friday night: mashed potatoes, roasted chicken, white gravy, and broccoli. For dessert we dined on frozen raspberries, blueberries, and sliced peaches topped with cream and a hint of maple syrup. Afterward, we played a board game. Such sweet girls they are!

Mia's choir competed again in our local Jazz Festival. They took first place. I think there are 36 children in her choir--all of them singing their hearts out.

MaryJane Butters, author of Milk Cow Kitchen ~ striving for the stoicism of a cow standing in the rain ~
Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2019 :  07:43:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Janet, I know you'll love this. Meg has a good friend in Kansas whose son was jumping for joy this past week because he was given a beekeeping scholarship. He had to go through several interviews and testing first. I'm waiting to hear more, but he gets a local mentor called a BeeElder. And he gets equipment that piece by piece he's allowed to keep every time he gives a local presentation. Here's the really sweet part; he's only eleven.

Meg and I are going to send him small jars of our spring honey and also our darker, late-summer honey.

MaryJane Butters, author of Milk Cow Kitchen ~ striving for the stoicism of a cow standing in the rain ~
Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2019 :  08:26:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Adria's birthday meal makes me hungry. Congrats on Mia's choir placing first. What a joy to see. The young man who is being mentored and given a beekeeping scholarship. How cool is that? That is such happy news. It's great when young folks get involved in such meaningful and rewarding work. I'm sure he will bee thrilled to get the honey. My hives are well insulated at the moment. Just think a couple of days ago they were out making cleansing flights, carrying out dead bees and spotting the snow covered landscape with bees. Winds picking up again. 50 mile per hour they say. More drifting. Someone doesn't mind all of the snow.

To laugh is human but to moo is bovine. Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

farmlife

1413 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2019 :  12:53:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I haven't been on HJO for quite some time, but thought I would check in. Charlene, we AIed Elli 7 times once, although 2 of those straws went in the same heat cycle. We have come to the conclusion that for Miss Elli it is better to be dried off to get bred. When she is in milk she just doesn't keep enough body condition to breed up. In fact lately we started feeding her straight alfalfa hay instead of an alfalfa grass mix. It's been really cold here for a long stretch and we thought she would need the extra boost. She hasn't added any extra weight, but she immediately increased her milk production by a quart. It's what she does. As a result she is a 6 and a half year old cow who has had three calves. If I remember right Betsy is pretty wooly. She might be hiding how skinny she is under her winter coat.
Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2019 :  07:24:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Snow, snow, snow. Shovel, shovel, shovel. Keeley, I bet you're getting all the same storms we're getting. Thanks for your important input on the needs of a high-production cow.

Go to Top of Page

farmlife

1413 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2019 :  12:38:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, we got a break yesterday and today, but expecting more snow and frigid temps through the weekend. If we can make it through Tuesday things should start looking up. It should be in the 20s. . . above zero! Dare we say spring is just around the corner? Fingers crossed!
Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2019 :  3:26:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you, Keeley, for your suggestions and encouragement. Both Betsy and Clover are actually in good body condition. I truly believe the barn has played a big part in that as they've been able to be protected from the worst of the weather. Both are in better condition than last year! phew... But I did increase their alfalfa quota which they, of course, love! Silly girls.

Loving life and family on our Idaho farm, Meadowlark Heritage Farm; A few Jersey cows; a few alpacas; a few more goats, and even more ducks and chickens
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: