Week of August 20, 2018
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Topic  

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2018 :  05:03:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Happy Monday all!

Harvest dust and smoke are heavy in our air ... but the temps will be bearable this week. More eighties and less nineties thankfully!

Hope Cindy’s girls have a great start to their school year. We have one more week before school routines begin here but still getting a few last minute details worked out. I’m trying to figure out breakfasts I can make ahead of time so we can pull out individual servings from the fridge and simply reheat. Any ideas/recipes anyone wants to share?

Happy Monday and may you all have a great day! Off to milk Clover and Betsy!

Loving life and family on our Idaho farm, Meadowlark Heritage Farm; A few Jersey cows; a few alpacas; a few more goats, and even more ducks and chickens

txbikergirl

3197 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2018 :  06:32:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
good morning charlene, and the rest of you ladies! kids are at school, and hubby and i are back at home with relaxation and rest on the mind ;>

i am off today and tomorrow, but have errands to run so need to head out at some point... but just enjoying some coffee with the pugs, and the quiet. i swear the pugs have let out a little sigh of relaxation also, they love the girls but they are getting older (yoshi hits 10 next month) and they do so like to nap all day with the girls off at school.

we are hot and humid today charlene, hoping some of the cooler temperatures start to appear. we went back up into 98-99 this last week, with humidity on top of that.

i think i just got my last accommodation worked out for ireland, so feeling great about that. it is a bit of a challenge to find room for 7 of us, and given that 3 are kids we can't just stick them in their own room somewhere and let them roam the halls at night ;> although middle might find that quite entertaining....

good day ladies, take care. blessings from texas.

Firefly Hollow Farm , our little farmstead. Farmgirl living in the green piney woods of East Texas on 23 acres with a few jerseys, too many chickens, a pair of pugs and my Texan hubby (aka "lover boy")
Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2018 :  6:39:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We actually ordered four Bar Bar A Waterers today! I feel like it’s Christmas here and am over the mooo-n excited! Two will be for my cows and two will be for my goats and will arrive in about ten days which is just fine as we still have lots of trenching to do in preparation. I’m just so thankful and am looking forward to less work while caring for the farm critters! Gotta work smart.

Cindy, when do you head over to Ireland? What an experience!

Loving life and family on our Idaho farm, Meadowlark Heritage Farm; A few Jersey cows; a few alpacas; a few more goats, and even more ducks and chickens
Go to Top of Page

farmlife

1413 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2018 :  8:15:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is so cold here today! Crazy to think about, but we had 54 degrees and lots of rain today. It is hard to imagine that it's August. It's usually so hot and dry, so it's nice to have a break before things heat up again.

Charlene, any time we have pancakes/waffles we always freeze the extra. The kids put them in the toaster on the defrost setting with really good results before school. Also I'm seeing lots of hype about recipes like this:
https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/244251/no-cook-overnight-oatmeal/
I don't think my kids would be fans, but maybe you'll have better luck.
Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2018 :  8:47:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, we do freeze extra pancakes, waffles, and French toast ... easy and quick. I have a baked oatmeal dish that I make from time to time and thought about putting it into muffin tins. My youngest was not impressed ... he said he would manage the oatmeal maybe once or twice in the year! lol Guess I didn't train him up right. When I was growing up we had cream of rice or hot oatmeal several times a week. So I thought baked oatmeal with cinnamon and cloves would be a big treat ... guess it is only for me! :) But your recipe with Greek yogurt and blueberries sounds delicious. I'm going to try it, even if it is just for me! I'm making lots of Greek yogurt these days with all of Clover's milk. It is so good. Thanks for the recipe!

Tonight the wind came up and it was actually a tad bit on the chilly side. The range of temps still always gets me ... last week the temperature hit 111 degrees on our farm hill and then tonight as I was outside, I was wishing I had a sweater! Goodness!

Madly sorting more things before school routines hit us ... and hoping that everything we ordered for school arrives in time.

Good night all.

Go to Top of Page

farmlife

1413 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2018 :  8:51:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hear you Charlene. A few weeks ago we were putting up small square bales of alfalfa hay in 104-106 degree heat. You would think when it cooled off at night it would feel good, but I was freezing! It's funny what your body can get accustomed to.
Go to Top of Page

Boots&Flipflops

499 Posts
Darla

Posted - Aug 20 2018 :  11:45:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good Evening All,

What a day!!! I was awaken at 3:30 this morning by my daughter poking me in the shoulder. "Mom, I think the pump went out" Oh, lordy...Tom and I got up, went to the pool house where there is a monitor for the pump. Sure enough, it read "Motor Jam" Well, it was back to bed and an early phone call to the pump repair guys. After doing a test on our box it was determined the pump motor was dead. Pulled at all apart and a new motor was placed in and back in business by 3 p.m. Thank goodness we have a pool to grab buckets of water for the toilets and a 5 gallon water dispenser in the kitchen for coffee and tooth brushing.

Luckily all the animals had plenty of water, but should there been a delay in repairs, we would have been able to take barrels to the neighbors to get water.

Gotta love the country life, but when the pump to the well goes it is done gone, and you are reminded all over again about what we take for granted on a daily basis.

Just spent the last two weekends completely re-plumbing my Mom's 100+ year old house. Tore out all the old galvanized pipe and replaced everything with copper. Thank goodness for an old house with a good crawl space I told her there mom, you are good for another 50 years...LOL

Love seeing all the going on's here. Everyone is so busy with all the farm projects and back to school. Austin, Becky and I all start back at the JC on Monday.

It's been a long day.... Blessings to all

To Succeed In This Life You Need Three Things: A Backbone, A Wish Bone and a Funny Bone. As quoted by Reba McEntire
Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2018 :  06:35:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning. Anyone notice how much shorter the days are getting? It's messing with my routine.

Cindy, that is a crowd to plan for, seven. When you go, we hope you'll grab a few pics for us. You should plan a trip to the Isle of Jersey sometime. My people are from Wales. I'd love to go there and the Isle sometime.

Darla, years ago I installed a hand pump on my well just in case. But I like the idea of a dual purpose swimming pool, especially when it's over a 100 degrees here.

The Raes are flying home from their annual summer trip to Cape Cod today and then it's back to school for them too.

Here's what's happening here--trays and trays of raspberries going into our freezer. If I can't find Nick, I know where to look.

Maggie and calves have finally quit mooing and everyone seems to be settling into their new routine.

Maybelle on the right, O'Mally on the left (with straw hanging from his mouth) and Buttercup in the back (with straw for a hat). Snug as bugs.

MaryJane Butters, author of Milk Cow Kitchen ~ striving for the stoicism of a cow standing in the rain ~
Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2018 :  09:44:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So glad you got your pump replaced, Darla. We just did that a few weeks ago and I am still in awe that water comes through the faucet again! I like MaryJane’s idea for a hand pump. Took me a few years to get my bar bar A waterers so I suppose a hand pump will take a few more! My wish list never ends and as long as I’m content presently that’s ok. I also think it would be so cool to have a windmill. Probably just decor unless we built a pond and used a windmill for water circulation. See? I certainly don’t have trouble adding to the wish/someday list!

Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2018 :  2:42:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cow yoga in 2019 anyone?

Cow Yoga Calendar
Year-long amusement with this whimsical calendar depicting poses
like Downward Facing Bovine.
Calendars.com | $15
(800-366-3645)

Look at this link and you can see the back cover that shows all the poses (it looks like one of them is a Jersey):
https://www.calendars.com/Cows/Cow-Yoga-Wall-Calendar/prod201500000829/?categoryId=cat1100006&seoCatId=cat1100006

MaryJane Butters, author of Milk Cow Kitchen ~ striving for the stoicism of a cow standing in the rain ~
Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2018 :  3:16:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think you should create your own cow calendar, MaryJane. The yoga one is cute but a calendar of all Jerseys would be better ... just say-in’

Clover was in the doghouse this morning. She managed to squeeze her way into the milking shed, pushing the gate open, and eating the extra grain left there for milking time. I’m so thankful that we were getting close to empty so she didn’t have a chance to gorge! But she had to stand in the milking stanchion with no grain while I milked this morning. Consequences I told her!

Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2018 :  06:02:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know, a calendar would be fun. I think for now, I'll stick with the cards we make. Karina did take a couple of beautiful photos before she left that are calendar worthy.

What a rascal, that Clover. Sounds like something Daisy would do.

When I went down to start chores yesterday morning, Jamie--cow mom to Ester Lily, M'lady, and Sophie--who was here on vacation, was mucking our stalls, "Decided to get my day started right." It was fun to have a B&B guest who wanted to talk cows. And a little bull. She's interested in getting a bull or perhaps earmarking Ester Lily's bull calf (born at her farm) as a future bull, so she wanted to see my set-up for Ian.

Well, here's to another summer day. Wishing everyone a good one. (Meg and family arrived home a day late. They spent three hours on a plane marooned on the tarmac in Boston before they deplaned everyone and sent them to hotel rooms.)

Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2018 :  8:33:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nick harvested our onions today.

I discovered this variety last year and liked it so much, I didn't plant my usual varieties this year. It's called Redwing. I can't believe how perfect their flavor is; just right for eating raw, and perfect when sautéed or put into soups, etc. Not to mention I didn't lose a single one to mold during storage last year and we were still eating flawless onions this past May. Jamie said she craved caramelized onions when she was pregnant (4 children) so while she was here, she fixed herself a batch several times.

They're a nice size, 4 to 5 inches.

I laugh every time I see Daisy (who's in heat today) because of something Jamie said, "Wow, she looks like a dachshund with those short legs." So true!

Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2018 :  6:47:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Let me guess. Everyone was busy catching up from the week behind us in addition to heaping more than you could possibly do today onto your morning to-do list?

The weather was wonderfully cool today and overcast. Energizing.

One of the things I tackled were my grape arbors. After I got it all cleaned out inside, stray grapes vines tied up properly, and some unwanted grasses dug out, one of my chickens decided to take the promenade to my vintage Shasta. Won't that be a fun walk someday for a B&B guest arriving for the first time?

Ready for some cow cuteness? Jamie came bearing cow gifts. This is a little jar with push-on ceramic cow lid that's just the right size for a week's worth of coffee grounds.

Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2018 :  08:09:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning MaryJane and everyone! Love the photo of the onions lined up and your grape arbor, both a joy to see. What a delight to walk through the grape arbor. Pretty and lush. Cute little cow lid, cuteness indeed. So much happening that I wouldn't be able to relate it. 3rd Memorial ride yesterday. We cut out early so that I wouldn't get quite so ill from the heat and sun, Joe as well. Nellie was in heat Friday and so was AI'd Friday evening. Only have Darla to go, but no rush. Bees swarmed this past Weds. but I captured and hived them, adjoining a weak hive in the new Resource hive. I'll be curious to see how they do through winter. We finally received rain last week. 4.2" and this morning we are having little showers and thunderstorms. Would have been nice during the growing season, but still nice to have moisture. Enjoy your day and week everyone!

To laugh is human but to moo is bovine. Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2018 :  1:53:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Look what got delivered here this week!!

So this is what we did this weekend!

And all is well according to the excavator operator!

Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2018 :  1:55:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your grape arbor, MaryJane, has turned out so lovely. So fun that the chicken found it!

Go to Top of Page

farmlife

1413 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2018 :  7:27:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We ran water lines also this summer, Charlene. My oldest loved running Grandpa's excavator. I took a turn at filling in trenches with it after everything was in. It looked like too much fun not to give it a whirl. I learned it's a handy dandy machine to have, but it takes both sides of your brain to operate. Lots of concentration to control the blade and steer!

Same thing with our tractor. It's an older Belarus and we needed to get some hay baled the other day. Not a hard job, but it is just taking the time and figuring out what to do first. PTO controls, tractor controls, two clutches... driving without running over the windrows, while picking them up behind. Doable, but takes focus. I need to make a point to get more practice at all that kind of stuff. Next up, learning to drive the swather.
Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2018 :  4:57:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like you got a resource hive, Janet. So far, so good? I'm thinking of getting one for one of my newer hives that's struggling to fill in a hive body. I'm pretty sure I'll have to feed it honey from one of my other hives. Less space for them to keep warm would be good. Maybe I can rig up/fashion a divider???

So, Nellie and Millie hopefully pregnant. Only Darla to go. Hopefully your memorial ride was before you got so much rain. With as dry as it's been at your farm, I'll bet you could hear the ground sighing.

Happy day, Charlene. BarBarAs lined up and Owen lined out on the backhoe. It's a good life!

Keeley, good job on the Belarus!

Go to Top of Page
  Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: