New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Topic
Page: of 2

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2015 :  2:28:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Betsy is 1 year and 1 week old today! She's a sweetheart as well. Ron, Harriet sure delivered a great little heifer! Betsy is a beauty and gets compliments frequently.

The night little Humble was born, she and Clover kept talking to each other back and forth for hours. Then, after Humble was up walking around, Clover led him around to the shared fence line (we had Betsy and Clover separated in preparation for Clover's delivery). It appeared as though Clover was showing Betsy her new baby and asking for approval! Betsy most definitely gave it. In the morning, little Humble had wandered through the fence and was by Betsy who was okay with being his babysitter! Clover was keeping a close eye on him but I think she approved of Betsy's care.

This fall I hope to breed Betsy. We will see what happens ... lots of milk in our future I do believe!

Loving life and family on our Idaho farm, Meadowlark Heritage Farm; A few Jersey cows; a few alpacas; a few more goats, and even more ducks and chickens

Ron

4666 Posts
Ronnie
Peever SD
USA

Posted - Sep 01 2015 :  4:10:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Adorable...She is turning out very well...just how I pictured it...family farm, loving family...that's what she needed and deserved. That one should make you a good cow as well..milk year round if you stagger breeding.

With a moo moo here and a moo moo there, here a moo, there a moo, everywhere a moo moo.
Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2015 :  4:50:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Betsy is sure a beauty. Glad all worked out so well. Can't wait to see a little calf from Betsy. All in good time.

To laugh is human but to moo is bovine. Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

Sydney2015

1156 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2015 :  6:21:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love Betsy. She is so cute!

A good laugh overcomes more difficulties and dissipates more dark clouds than any other one thing - Laura Ingalls Wilder

I live on a small farm of seventy acres called Green Forest Farm, with 10 horses, a donkey, 5 beef cows, 2 beef heifers, 3 Hereford heifers, around 60 chickens, 8 dogs, my amazing cow, AppleButter, and her little Jersey calf HoneyButter!
Go to Top of Page

GingerBKelly

274 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2015 :  06:49:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Happy Birthday Betsy. You are so fine and Betsy is a great name for you.

~Ginger Kelly, Kelly Homestead Apiary, Charlton, MA~

gingerbkelly@gmail.com
When a cow laughs, does milk come out her nose? ~Author Unknown

Check us out on FB: https://www.facebook.com/KellyHomesteadApiary/
Go to Top of Page

Ron

4666 Posts
Ronnie
Peever SD
USA

Posted - Sep 02 2015 :  07:49:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Guernsey makes a good cow...mid sized but very docile and good to work with...I know Betsy is a little spry but at the end of the day She will do fine..

With a moo moo here and a moo moo there, here a moo, there a moo, everywhere a moo moo.
Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2015 :  6:46:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Today she was following us through the pasture as we were taking stock of what needs to be done this fall as far as our pasture quality is concerned. Betsy was so funny ... wanting to be close to us and curious as to what we were doing but then acting nonchalant when we glanced her way. She ate some handpicked grass ... don't you know it tastes better that way? But the entire time she was within six feet of us, following us back and forth as we were talking and walking. So she may be shy but definitely wants to be with people. I think, no I KNOW, she'll take more work and training but it will come just like Ron said. A person just melts when looking into her eyes. The Primeland guy asked what breed she was ... I told him that she was a Guernsey. He said, no way as she most definitely has some Ayrshire in her! That's the second time someone has told me that ... but I don't really care as I absolutely love her appearance and her milk will be A2/A2 if anyone wants it. Are Ayrshires, Jerseys, and Guernseys related at all? He also told me that Guernseys usually have a pink nose and Betsy's is more brown like a Jersey. Ron, what color is Betsy's mom's nose? Just curious ... absolutely doesn't change anything. I don't think Betsy's markings or coloring could be any prettier! Can't wait to taste her milk in another year ...

Loving life and family on our Idaho farm, Meadowlark Heritage Farm; A few Jersey cows; a few alpacas; a few more goats, and even more ducks and chickens
Go to Top of Page

Ron

4666 Posts
Ronnie
Peever SD
USA

Posted - Sep 02 2015 :  8:04:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Betty's Mom

Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2015 :  9:24:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Betsy does look more Jersey than Guernsey. Do you have mail men out there Ron?

MaryJane Butters, author of Milk Cow Kitchen ~ striving for the stoicism of a cow standing in the rain ~
Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2015 :  9:29:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Harriet is a beauty too! And, isn't that little Betsy hiding behind her? I recognize her tail, Ron! :-) I was thinking, too, that Guernseys are rarer around here so perhaps people try to fit them into a category or breed that they already know. I'd like to learn more about the history of all these breeds to see how they are related, if they are. Some day when I have absolutely nothing to do! It will be fun to see what Betsy's calves look like.

Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2015 :  9:31:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ayrshires, Guernseys, and Jerseys all descend from the same breed, way back when.

MaryJane Butters, author of Milk Cow Kitchen ~ striving for the stoicism of a cow standing in the rain ~
Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2015 :  9:34:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From what I've read, different locales in the UK started breeding for certain traits to create distinct breeds and today we have Ayrshire, Jerseys, and Guernseys from that area of the world. It's called marketing I think:) To this day, breeders dream up (create) new breeds all the time. Some catch on, most don't.

Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2015 :  9:35:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And, MaryJane has solved the mystery and saved me from searching it out at some future date when I have nothing else going on! They are all related which is why there are some similarities.

Regardless, I feel very blessed to have two beautiful cows out in my pasture with little Humble added to their mix. It truly is a beautiful sight and Clover & Betsy compliment each other beautifully.

Go to Top of Page

Ron

4666 Posts
Ronnie
Peever SD
USA

Posted - Sep 03 2015 :  06:50:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Being they are registered Charlene the Guernsey Association can help you trace genealogy and even might have some pictures on file of sires and dams in her background ....

Mail Men Mary Jane? We have a contracted rural carrier...does that count?

Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2015 :  11:10:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wouldn't that be fun to actually have photos of Betsy's extended cow family? Maybe a project for this winter while in front of the woodstove! :-)

Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2015 :  4:16:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

My Betsy under the big blue sky!

Go to Top of Page

Sydney2015

1156 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2015 :  6:39:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Betsy is so sweet! Reminds me of AppleButter.

A good laugh overcomes more difficulties and dissipates more dark clouds than any other one thing - Laura Ingalls Wilder

I live on a small farm of seventy acres called Green Forest Farm, with 10 horses, a donkey, 5 beef cows, 2 beef heifers, 3 Hereford heifers, around 60 chickens, 8 dogs, my amazing cow, AppleButter, and her little Jersey calf HoneyButter!
Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2015 :  5:50:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Don't they make a lovely pair? Their coloring is so very similar!

Go to Top of Page

txbikergirl

3197 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2015 :  6:04:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
they really do make a lovely pair!

Firefly Hollow Farm , our little farmstead. Farmgirl living in the green piney woods of East Texas on 23 acres with a few jerseys, too many chickens, a pair of pugs and my Texan hubby (aka "lover boy")
Go to Top of Page

farmlife

1413 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2015 :  7:28:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They are going to make beautiful babies together!
Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2015 :  08:28:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can't wait to see the calves from Betsy and Tony!

To laugh is human but to moo is bovine. Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

Ron

4666 Posts
Ronnie
Peever SD
USA

Posted - Oct 09 2015 :  08:59:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Charlene. This is just all I ever wanted for this cow. A loving home on a family farm. As it should be.

Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2015 :  4:05:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's hoping Betsy comes into heat the several days. We think she should be since we think she was in heat 20 days ago.

Ron, I'm so looking forward to her milk and think she looks especially contented with Mr. Tony. Love, love, love having cows on our little farmstead!

Go to Top of Page

Ron

4666 Posts
Ronnie
Peever SD
USA

Posted - Oct 09 2015 :  5:13:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
She will serve you well for many years Charlene. I don't know what milk goes for there but milk off the farm ( whole not skimmed ) goes for $10.00 a gallon here. Harriet once freshend is good for 6 to 8 gallons a day. Leaving Her with the bull is best chance of a heifer calf. Harriet has only calved heifers every calf....see how it goes for Betsy.

Edited by - Ron on Oct 09 2015 5:14:20 PM
Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2015 :  8:44:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wouldn't that be cool if Betsy had a heifer too! I'd sure like it if she took after Harriet ...

Clover is nursing Humble and still giving us 1-2 gallons per day ... I cannot imagine 6-8 gallons in addition, but I'd love it! Our family goes through the milk for sure and I love having extra to share with extended family and friends.

Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2016 :  8:45:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So Betsy was due to come back into heat end of last week ... no signs. Fingers are crossed for a pregnancy. We will have a vet come at the end of the month to do a few pregnancy tests on the farm to confirm.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: