Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Topic
Page: of 2

Shaina

32 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2016 :  11:03:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello,
About 2 and a half months ago I purchased an 11 month old jersey heifer. I had plans of having her bred at around 15 months. Well, about 3 weeks ago I notice that she is developing an udder. As I look at her more closely, I am noticing a difference in the size of her belly, and what some call "springing" (swelling of the vulva). From what I have read online, a jersey heifer should not develop an udder unless she is bred.
As this is all new to me, I am having a hard time determining how far along she may be. I will attach some pictures, so feel free to let me know what you think!
Thanks!

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2016 :  08:24:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am very much a newbie at most of this; however, can you get a vet to come out and check her? I'm wondering if the vet can determine pregnancy and then determine approximate gestation? That would be important and perhaps the vet could let you what you could do for premium nutrition since your heifer is still so young herself. But, wow, you could end up with two cows very soon! How do you feel about that?

Loving life and family on our Idaho farm, Meadowlark Heritage Farm; A few Jersey cows; a few alpacas; a few more goats, and even more ducks and chickens
Go to Top of Page

txbikergirl

3197 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2016 :  12:51:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
as someone that has a 10 month old heifer i would say that udder is sure developing. it amazes me how small it is until they get pregnant.

perhaps this is a great blessing for you ;>

Firefly Hollow Farm , our little farmstead. Farmgirl living in the green piney woods of East Texas on 23 acres with a few jerseys, too many chickens, a pair of pugs and my Texan hubby (aka "lover boy")
Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2016 :  03:40:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shaina, if you know how to do a blood draw from her tail, you can send off a sample to determine pregnancy. A vet examination seems in order at this point. I've heard many stories of young heifers doing just fine with an early pregnancy. You might be milking sooner than you'd planned:)

MaryJane Butters, author of Milk Cow Kitchen ~ striving for the stoicism of a cow standing in the rain ~
Go to Top of Page

Shaina

32 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2016 :  08:55:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I read about the blood test for pregnancy in The Milk Cow Kitchen book. I looked it up online and it will only cost $2.75 plus the cost of container and shipping. Much cheaper than having a vet out. We don't have a large animal vet in town. I have been told that a farm call from another town will be costly. My husband says, "why bother with a pregnancy test, time will tell."
It would be nice to have someone look at her. There is a gal in town that I have talked to and would help if we need it. She is the "go-to-gal" around here for cows, because she has owned cows her whole life and has lots of experience.
I have been looking into calf pulling, and the correct way to help birthing. Being Cinnamon's first calving, I am worried that the calf might be too big. She was most likely bred to her dad. A large Jersey bull. As far as I can tell, Cinnamon's body weight scores somewhere between an 3 and 4. So we will try and maintain a healthy weight and hope calving goes alright.
I will check into any supplements she might need at this point (whatever point this may be, late pregnancy?).
Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2016 :  10:33:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Trying to keep her condition up and healthy is good. I hope all goes well for you Shaina.

To laugh is human but to moo is bovine. Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2016 :  7:36:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good job in finding out what resources are available to you, Shaina. Use them as needed! I just thought having a vet come give an assessment might allow you to be better prepared. I always feel better when I've tried to be ready and know a little about what is coming. But, yes, time will give you answer no matter what ... pregnant or not ... calf or not ... milking now or later. :)

I second Janet's comment "to try to keep her condition up!".

Please keep us posted!

Loving life and family on our Idaho farm, Meadowlark Heritage Farm; A few Jersey cows; a few alpacas; a few more goats, and even more ducks and chickens
Go to Top of Page

Sydney2015

1156 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2016 :  3:02:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, keep us posted!

A good laugh overcomes more difficulties and dissipates more dark clouds than any other one thing - Laura Ingalls Wilder

I live on a small farm of seventy acres called Green Forest Farm, with 10 horses, a donkey, 5 beef cows, 2 beef heifers, 3 Hereford heifers, around 60 chickens, 8 dogs, my amazing cow, AppleButter, and her little Jersey calf HoneyButter!
Go to Top of Page

Shaina

32 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2016 :  08:16:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My goodness things have been moving right along with Cinnamon! Her udder has filled to the size of a basketball and two days ago she started dripping discharge. I am assuming it is her mucus plug (blocks the opening to the cervix). I have read that they can loose it up to 2 weeks before delivery. Her ligaments feel normal and tight. She does seem more uncomfortable while laying down. Her breathing is heavier, and she looks bothered.

I am very excited, but nervous as well. She is just so young! She is fairly large for her age. She measures 47 inches to the wither, and she is only 14 months old. That puts her in the "large Jersey" category. I can't help but question her age.

I contacted the man we purchased her from and he told me that he weaned and separated her from the herd in September, and she shouldn't have been old enough to be cycling while with the bull (her sire) and cows. She was born in February, that would put her at 7 months in September. I have been told that Jerseys have been known to cycle as early as 6 months.

We weren't expecting to have a calf and be milking for another year... I don't even have a milk pail! Unexpected, but as long as the birth goes okay, we will be thrilled to have fresh milk!! And a Jersey calf!

I would love to have a vet take a look at her. Better yet have a local vet that could zip out here if we need him for delivery. The cost is the only drawback at this point. I will call a nearby vet today, and discuss our situation with him. I can get his opinion and let him know that we might need his assistance. I'm not sure why I haven't already done that...

Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2016 :  08:53:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, definitely get a vet on board. When they're bred that young, their hip bones aren't fully developed yet and it increases the likelihood of a difficult birth. And make sure she's getting excellent nutrition. She's going to need it. For the record, I've had heifers start estrus as young as three and four months of age.

MaryJane Butters, author of Milk Cow Kitchen ~ striving for the stoicism of a cow standing in the rain ~
Go to Top of Page

Shaina

32 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2016 :  09:26:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you everyone for your input! I didn't know about the hip development in young heifers. That scares me.
Does anyone have any suggestions for nutritional supplements? Should I pick up a grain mix or vitamin supplement?
Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2016 :  11:14:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What is she getting currently? If hay only, what is it? Just grass or is it grass mixed with alfalfa? Any minerals or maybe a salt lick or mineral lick?

Go to Top of Page

Shaina

32 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2016 :  11:38:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Currently she is getting Alfalfa/Grass hay, as much as she will consume without wasting. She has a bloat block, but I'm going to pick up a selenium block today. About a cup of DE per week. And some chunks of clay from a natural "deer lick" area. Some of it tastes salty. I have been told to put her on straight grass hay, but think she might need the extra nutrients from the alfalfa. She doesn't seem to be over weight.
Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2016 :  11:41:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One way to prevent milk fever is to deprive her of calcium 10-14 days prior to delivery. Alfalfa is high in calcium. I think some organic dairy grain that isn't high in calcium would be good at this point. Do you have any straight grass hay?

Here's a topic that might be helpful:

https://www.heritagejersey.org/chatroom/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5222

Go to Top of Page

Shaina

32 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2016 :  4:36:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you MaryJane! That was a helpful article. Yes, I do have straight grass hay. We will start her on it, and I will look for low calcium grain tomorrow. Wow, milk fever sounds terrible!

I hope to hear from the vet tomorrow.
Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2016 :  4:53:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's what I use. I thought it might help you sort through the labels you're going to see locally. Ask your vet what they recommend for a concentrate. She/he might think straight grass hay would be best at this stage of the game rather than start her on something new.

Organic Soy-Free Dairy Livestock Pellets #5046 (http://modestomilling.com/livestock.html )
Organic corn, organic wheat millrun, organic peas, organic wheat, organic stabilized rice bran, limestone, Redmond conditioner (clay), Zeolite, Redmond salt, vitamin & trace mineral premix

Go to Top of Page

farmlife

1413 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2016 :  6:45:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shaina, I thought this topic might be of interest to you. https://www.heritagejersey.org/chatroom/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=417 Early breeding has happened to others in this chatroom, even at 5 months. If Cinnamon is on the large end of the Jersey spectrum you will want to watch her body condition very closely. I found my full sized girl, Elli, looked pretty good up until she calved and then we've struggled to maintain her body condition since. She has a tendency to put all her energy into making milk, which she does beautifully, but she definitely needs grain as a supplement. Be careful not to give too much grain, though, you don't want the calf to get too big for her to birth successfully.
Go to Top of Page

farmlife

1413 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2016 :  6:57:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just want to throw this one out there, too, Shaina. Here is my documentation of Elli's birth preparation. You may find it helpful as a reference. Janet added pictures of her cow, Nellie, just before birth as well. https://www.heritagejersey.org/chatroom/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=838
She eventually had her calf on April 29th of 2015. I think I started the post in March. I can't even count the times I thought she must be ready because of the mucus discharge. Pretty much when I thought her udder couldn't possibly get any bigger she went another 2 weeks. In the meantime, bond with Cinnamon as much as you can. You will need to have a great relationship with her for all the excitement that lies ahead. Brushing her is an excellent start. Rub dynamint cream on her udder if she will let you.
Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2016 :  05:38:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great links Keeley!!!!

Go to Top of Page

Shaina

32 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2016 :  10:19:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Keeley: Great pictures! I have been looking for some good reference pictures such as those. It is amazing how fast their udders can develop. Cinnamon's udder just became noticeably larger about a month ago. Now we have a calf.

Cinnamon started dripping a water type fluid yesterday around 2:00. Her water broke this morning at about 8:00, and by 9:40 we had a heifer calf. She came quickly, front feet and nose first. :) Unfortunately she will not stand or suckle. We are wondering if she may have been born a bit early, or maybe just didn't get the required nutrients. Calving in April puts Cinnamon's breeding age at about 5 months. Poor girl.

We talked to the vet. He gave us a Vitamin A and D, and a Bose shot for the calf. A feeding tube, and we purchased some colostrum. Cinnamon isn't letting her colostrum down for me. I keep trying, but the most she has given me is about half a pint. We took the calf from Cinnamon, afraid she was going to step on her, and she seems to be very temperature sensitive. We are tube feeding her and turning and moving her body and legs regularly. With the calf not standing we want to keep her blood circulating. I'm not sure if it is necessary, but it can't hurt.

Cinnamon seems to be doing fine. She still has not passed her afterbirth. The vet told us to call if she hasn't passed it by Friday. Her appetite is good and she is drinking plenty of water. She was pretty upset when we took her calf, but after about 4 hours she settled down a bit. I don't know how to get more colostrum from her. Her udder is tight, but she just wont let it down for me. I tried washing her with warm water and milking her 4 times today with no more than 1.5 pints total.

For now we will just keep trying to milk Cinnamon out, and keep her calf warm and fed. She is sleeping in our living room tonight, and probably will be for a while. Like I mentioned earlier, she seems very temperature sensitive. Can't help but wonder if she was born a tad bit early.

Go to Top of Page

txbikergirl

3197 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2016 :  06:44:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well, its a GREAT photo and the calf is adorable. the calf does look very small to me, but honestly what do i know?!

my cow will have her calf in two weeks shaina, a first for us but not her. now is the time you will REALLY get busy here on HJO as every week will bring a new question/observation about the cow/calf and you'll get so much practical advice and knowledge here, as well as support.

its great that you are so hands on with the calf, our calf came to us that way and it has made all the difference in the world - we handle her every day and treat her more like a dog than a cow, in order to get her to be our future milk cow.

best of luck, looking forward to updates. blessings from texas for calf health!

Firefly Hollow Farm , our little farmstead. Farmgirl living in the green piney woods of East Texas on 23 acres with a few jerseys, too many chickens, a pair of pugs and my Texan hubby (aka "lover boy")
Go to Top of Page

txbikergirl

3197 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2016 :  06:45:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
oh, and you know a cow will eat its afterbirth, right? just in case you don't see it - she may have passed it and consumed it already.

Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2016 :  08:01:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hoping the very best for you Shaina, and Cinnamon and her little calf. Pretty little thing. I never tire of seeing the doe like features on little Jersey calves. Sometimes putting the calf near the momma will help them let down their colostrum/milk. If you are near by and can watch the calf/cow together. I will be thinking of you and your journey. Keep us posted.

To laugh is human but to moo is bovine. Author Unknown

Edited by - NellieBelle on Apr 21 2016 08:02:49 AM
Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2016 :  08:23:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh my goodness Shaina. The pic of them together is so precious.

The problem with cows and let-down is that it ties in with anxiety. So like Janet said, maybe you can put the calf near her. The warm water was a good idea. Once that tiny calf gets a quart or so of colostrum down her, she's fine on that front. Some calves take longer than others before they stand. I've had calves get up immediately and some wanted (needed?) to sleep for a couple of hours first. Charlene thinks her calf didn't nurse for something like 20 hours. Remember, you have 24 hours for her to get colostrum. As the clock ticks, the absorption of it diminishes (early on is best) but up until then you're okay.

Do you have a calf jacket? It can really stop the shivers. I put a coat on all my calves so they don't have to put so much energy into staying warm.

Good job on all fronts!!!!!

Go to Top of Page

farmlife

1413 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2016 :  7:44:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It sounds like everyone gave you great advice, Shaina. I think the hardest part of being a cow owner is breathing through the hard times.
Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2016 :  8:00:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Darling photo and congratulations on a new calf! She does look small. Yes, our calf last fall did not nurse (at least so we could see) for about 20 hours like MaryJane said. We just took turns watching and observing. Massaging her udder and warm clothes is a very good idea.

Wow, your learning curve just steepened a bit! :) but everyone here is so helpful so please keep asking questions. And do keep breathing and trying to sleep ... this hard time will pass and get better. It truly will.

So happy to hear you got a BoSe shot and those vitamin shots ... incredibly important.

Keep us posted!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: