Author Topic
Page: of 4

Ron

4666 Posts
Ronnie
Peever SD
USA

Posted - Oct 03 2015 :  05:22:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now your talking....don't you just love to see men work ? Especially when it's on your stuff! Forgot to ask...what colors you going with?

With a moo moo here and a moo moo there, here a moo, there a moo, everywhere a moo moo.
Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2015 :  2:19:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I definitely love seeing something happen! I was just slightly bummed to realize all that busy activity happened the one day my daughter had medical appointments out of town and I missed it all! But life happens and I'll be able to see the rest of the construction.

We are going with a very traditional red barn, complete with a weathervane on top of a cupola. Eventually, this will be just the chicken barn and we'll have a second goat/cow barn ... all part of the grant.

Loving life and family on our Idaho farm, Meadowlark Heritage Farm; A few Jersey cows; a few alpacas; a few more goats, and even more ducks and chickens
Go to Top of Page

Ron

4666 Posts
Ronnie
Peever SD
USA

Posted - Oct 03 2015 :  5:02:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just how things should go...always seems to come together...always

With a moo moo here and a moo moo there, here a moo, there a moo, everywhere a moo moo.
Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2015 :  08:29:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, Ron, I would have never imagined all of this happening late last spring, that's for sure! It has made me so very grateful to be able to stay here on our little farm.

Good news ... we had some wind over the weekend and my barn trusses and sheeting are still intact! (For those who don't know ... we had a start of a barn a few years ago that the trusses all blew down during a ferocious windstorm and that set us back quite a bit.) I think our contractor is a bit over cautious as our trusses are probably only 18-24" apart but that should make for a very sturdy roof and barn! Learn from our mistakes! Onward and upward!

Loving life and family on our Idaho farm, Meadowlark Heritage Farm; A few Jersey cows; a few alpacas; a few more goats, and even more ducks and chickens
Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2015 :  5:32:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

More progress and it is starting to look like a barn!

Go to Top of Page

txbikergirl

3197 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2015 :  6:03:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
wow! it is taking shape, what a GREAT feeling for you!

Firefly Hollow Farm , our little farmstead. Farmgirl living in the green piney woods of East Texas on 23 acres with a few jerseys, too many chickens, a pair of pugs and my Texan hubby (aka "lover boy")
Go to Top of Page

chives

313 Posts
Victoria
Shelton WA
usa

Posted - Oct 08 2015 :  7:35:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Its looking great. Your getting there.

A cow is the heart of a farm
Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2015 :  04:05:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, you are going to look out your window one of these times and "presto" there will be a barn there and you will wonder about how you thought about it taking shape all those months. Congrats to you Charlene and family.

To laugh is human but to moo is bovine. Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

GingerBKelly

274 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2015 :  06:57:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, all these barns and stuff going up. It's an encouraging and beautiful sight. Congratulations, Charlene. Sorry I didn't see this post a bit sooner. It's wonderful!

~Ginger Kelly, Kelly Homestead Apiary, Charlton, MA~

gingerbkelly@gmail.com
When a cow laughs, does milk come out her nose? ~Author Unknown

Check us out on FB: https://www.facebook.com/KellyHomesteadApiary/
Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2015 :  4:12:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, "Presto" did not happen today... I was gone at a conference most of the day and was expecting to see huge progress when I came home. (Note to self: get rid of barn expectations) When I drove up our driveway, the barn was LESS done than it was the day before! Yikes! I quickly texted our contractor and he said that some of the framing was done wrong and had to be redone. To be honest, I was really disappointed. But can't be for long ... this really will not matter in the weeks and months to come. I'm glad the mistake was found now before more framing went up. And, the guys working on it seem to be making better progress this past hour.

Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2015 :  5:48:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Progress made today! And my boys are helping!

Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2015 :  5:50:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From the main road when I drove by today, it looks fabulous!!!!

MaryJane Butters, author of Milk Cow Kitchen ~ striving for the stoicism of a cow standing in the rain ~
Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2015 :  5:50:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, my younger one enjoys climbing all around and using the scissor lift! He handed a few tools to the guys working but was more of a monkey than anything else!

Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2015 :  5:59:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks MaryJane!

Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2015 :  03:03:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks huge, especially with the picture of your son in the scissor lift. It's really up there. Progressing forward. Things are moving along. Thank you for taking time to share photos with us.

Go to Top of Page

txbikergirl

3197 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2015 :  6:38:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
charlene it is just beautiful!

Firefly Hollow Farm , our little farmstead. Farmgirl living in the green piney woods of East Texas on 23 acres with a few jerseys, too many chickens, a pair of pugs and my Texan hubby (aka "lover boy")
Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2015 :  10:16:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks everyone. Progress is continuing; of course, it never is as fast as I'd like but so far the weather is cooperating and next year I'll forget how anxious I was to get it done.

We ordered a stainless steel sink with an attached drainboard to install in my incubation room. It should arrive in the next couple of days ... never mind that I don't even have walls up yet! I'm also looking for the best price for outside exterior lights. I don't want anything fancy ... this is practical.

Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2015 :  7:49:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And more progress was made today! We had a great team of workers here, working hard all day long.

The best part? It was watching my youngest son (who had the day off from school) help my older son who is working for our contractor! Owen held tools or ran and got things ... and watched everything that went on. I was concerned that he might be in the way and Ethan reassured me, saying, "Actually, he is really a good help, Mom."

Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2015 :  7:52:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Really taking shape Charlene. Very nice. Rewarding and heartwarming to hear your two sons working together. Thank you for sharing the photos and update.

Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2015 :  08:44:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We're all living our barn dreams vicariously through you Charlene!! Looking good!!

MaryJane Butters, author of Milk Cow Kitchen ~ striving for the stoicism of a cow standing in the rain ~
Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2015 :  7:39:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm still just amazed that we are actually getting a real barn. I just love the shape of it, too! Dreams becoming reality can be a bit scary at times, too. Feels a bit fragile but I'm stepping out and moving forward.

Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2015 :  10:57:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, folks, it has to be a good sign when your contractor asks for the weathervane that will be attached to the cupola! Seriously, it will still be another week or two. It is hard not to be antsy waiting for the completion.

Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2015 :  8:19:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And, we have a framed cupola with a weathervane! Everything is framed ... now for some red metal siding.

And, a sweet friend stopped by with this ...

She took pictures of all my animals and used some that I had taken myself and made a collage which she laminated, along with a prayer by Saint Francis, the patron saint of animals. This will be hung in the barn ... and I will cherish it always. What an amazing gift! She couldn't wait for the barn to be completed so gave it to me early!

Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2015 :  8:31:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What a wonderful gift, Charlene!!!! So precious.

Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2015 :  03:00:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice additions to your barn Charlene. The framed photos is an endearing added touch and one that will help you reflect back on the start of your Goat/milk cow/barn adventure. And your cute little weathervane to persevere in all sorts of weather. Thank you for sharing.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: