Dehorning
 Dehorning Cattle/Veterinarian
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Topic  

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2015 :  09:37:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's ideal to get horns removed before fly season. Just make sure that whoever does it numbs the area first and is good at getting them adequately burned off (requires attention to detail), otherwise you'll end up with scurs (stunted horns) that are problematic because they aren't completely hooked on all the way around but continue to grow somewhat.

MaryJane Butters, author of Milk Cow Kitchen ~ striving for the stoicism of a cow standing in the rain ~

Sydney2015

1156 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2015 :  09:49:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
MaryJane, when do you think AppleButter will be old enough to get her dehorned?

A good laugh overcomes more difficulties and dissipates more dark clouds than any other one thing - Laura Ingalls Wilder

I live on a small farm of seventy acres called Green Forest Farm, with 10 horses, a donkey, 5 beef cows, 2 beef heifers, 3 Hereford heifers, around 60 chickens, 8 dogs, my amazing cow, AppleButter, and her little Jersey calf HoneyButter!
Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2015 :  10:07:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How old is she again?

MaryJane Butters, author of Milk Cow Kitchen ~ striving for the stoicism of a cow standing in the rain ~
Go to Top of Page

Sydney2015

1156 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2015 :  12:07:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
She is 2 months.

A good laugh overcomes more difficulties and dissipates more dark clouds than any other one thing - Laura Ingalls Wilder

I live on a small farm of seventy acres called Green Forest Farm, with 10 horses, a donkey, 5 beef cows, 2 beef heifers, 3 Hereford heifers, around 60 chickens, 8 dogs, my amazing cow, AppleButter, and her little Jersey calf HoneyButter!
Go to Top of Page
  Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: