New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Topic
Page: of 2

txbikergirl

3197 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2015 :  10:14:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got my book last year the day it came out. LOVE it! I have read it over and over the past year in anticipation of a cow in 2015. This weekend my hubby and I, for the first time, seriously sat down about a few cows up for sale and looking at calendars and thinking that this could be real... and thats when I realized I needed to start buying a few things to plan for the cow... and realized that although the information is in the book, it would be nice if there was one page that was a checklist for all the stuff related to feeding, milking, caring, illness, etc. there is a lovely checklist for cheesemaking stuff, and I think a similar thing for all the other bovine necessities would be a handy addition to the book.

I was thinking that since the book is geared toward us newbies this wouldn't be out of line with its educational purpose.

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2015 :  04:04:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm on it! Great idea. I've been compiling a list during the last couple of weeks so I can send people off with a starter kit when they adopt one of my cows. But I hadn't thought to put it here. Congrats on being so close to making a cow a part of your family.

MaryJane Butters, author of Milk Cow Kitchen ~ striving for the stoicism of a cow standing in the rain ~
Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2015 :  09:09:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great idea! And very exciting to start looking for a cow.

Loving life and family on our Idaho farm, Meadowlark Heritage Farm; A few Jersey cows; a few alpacas; a few more goats, and even more ducks and chickens
Go to Top of Page

txbikergirl

3197 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2015 :  5:19:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks CloversMum! I have been dreaming of my cow for 5 years. We bought our property 3 years ago and have been cow planning for all three. We even took a "cow class" two years ago and started learning how to improve out pastures, etc. In some ways it took forever to arrive at 2015, and in some ways it is faster than you can think... like a kid waiting for christmas.

Everyone here has been so generous with info, and I just love living vicariously through everyone else's experience until I can have a cow on this little piece of heavenly dirt we call home.
Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2015 :  8:05:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like you are very wise in all of your preparations! Good for you! I didn't "cow plan" and just had Clover plop into my lap...have loved it all, but am running to catch up and not sure I'll ever get ahead of everything! And now to have been blessed with sweet Betsy...I guess I am starting at the far end of things as I've yet to milk a cow (milk my goats, though).

Loving life and family on our Idaho farm, Meadowlark Heritage Farm; A few Jersey cows; a few alpacas; a few more goats, and even more ducks and chickens
Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2015 :  08:35:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Making my list and checking it twice. Thanks for your patience. Soon!!!!

MaryJane Butters, author of Milk Cow Kitchen ~ striving for the stoicism of a cow standing in the rain ~
Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2015 :  08:02:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How's the checklist coming? I still think this is a great idea!

Go to Top of Page

txbikergirl

3197 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2015 :  7:03:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
he he he charlene, great minds think alike. i wasn't going to ask mj until i am on her doorstep next month ;>

but i have started acquiring some of the necessities from the book and from everyone's posts around here. got my dynamint last week and that stuff smells good enough to eat! i have a few amazon boxes arriving each week! its cow christmas on the farmstead! lots of exclamation marks at the farmstead!! !! !!

Firefly Hollow Farm , our little farmstead. Farmgirl living in the green piney woods of East Texas on 23 acres with a few jerseys, too many chickens, a pair of pugs and my Texan hubby (aka "lover boy")
Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2015 :  9:06:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I plug away at my lists. I took photos today of my someday "bloat kit." (Not to be confused with me eating an entire bowl of popcorn.) I have pieces of kit ideas all over my desktop. I just need to pull them together. The problem is, the kits started some time ago to feel too much like "book" to me and those energies seem to be going into my bread book. When you turn 60 are there no longer deadlines in your life?:)

Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2015 :  08:51:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
By all means, put your energy into your bread book! And, I think no deadlines could be rather delightful ...

Go to Top of Page

GingerBKelly

274 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2015 :  06:44:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd like to know when this "checklist" is available, as well as the bread book. I love the Milk Cow Kitchen Book.

Cindy, all your preparations are paying off. New beginnings, New cows coming home. I'm so happy for you!

~Ginger Kelly, Kelly Homestead Apiary, Charlton, MA~

gingerbkelly@gmail.com
When a cow laughs, does milk come out her nose? ~Author Unknown

Check us out on FB: https://www.facebook.com/KellyHomesteadApiary/
Go to Top of Page

txbikergirl

3197 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2015 :  07:09:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi ginger. I made a good start on the supplies checklist using the MJF book and this forum, but it was really rough so MJ is going to edit and correct if needed before posting. But she might just have one or two other things in her life to accomplish first ;) I suppose having all her endeavors means it's not all sitting around with champagne and bonbons 24/7... go figure!

Firefly Hollow Farm , our little farmstead. Farmgirl living in the green piney woods of East Texas on 23 acres with a few jerseys, too many chickens, a pair of pugs and my Texan hubby (aka "lover boy")

Edited by - txbikergirl on Oct 01 2015 07:09:46 AM
Go to Top of Page

Andrea0509

155 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2015 :  8:12:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Mary Jane,
Will the supply list be posted here on this thread once it's complete? Just starting to look into everything that will be needed for milking even though it's a long ways off still....fun to plan ahead :)

Edited by - Andrea0509 on Nov 11 2015 8:14:46 PM
Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2015 :  10:42:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I will see what I can do. Cindy gave me her list. I'll quit being a fuss budget about it (photos, links, etc.) and put her list up tomorrow as a starting place and everyone here can add to it, rather than me find the time right now to turn it into a mini book. Too many lists started, too little time.

Just checked on Eliza Belle. All is well. Now that I know her AI didn't take and it was my bull I put her in with afterward that got her pregnant, her due date is this Sunday.

Go to Top of Page

Andrea0509

155 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2015 :  05:25:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like a plan, thanks Mary Jane. That's a good idea for everyone to contribute to the list as well. Will be a great resource for everyone!
Go to Top of Page

txbikergirl

3197 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2015 :  4:12:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i think the problem mary jane is that i didn't give you a presentable list, its just a long list on a spreadsheet... i had planned to keep updating it and send you a more refined copy... but i have obviously prefer to spend my time with my cows instead!

Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2015 :  12:47:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is Cindy's checklist: http://heritagejersey.org/images/chatroom/HJO-Check-List-Cindy.pdf

I am working on my version but Cindy's is a good start. If anyone wants to add to it, I'll keep track of your additions.
Thanks!

Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2015 :  2:52:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A lot of you go to the vets with your animals, but here I need a few extra things on hand, especially during dehorning and castration. I always keep Betadine surgical scrub on hand to wash up for myself and vet and animal. Some sort of Stop Bleed powder, scalpel, assorted forceps and tweezers, to remove the bleeders after dehorning (vet forgot his) I keep on hand, and plenty of Betadine, for umbilicus after calving and surgical castration or wounds. As some of you use the bands etc, probably wouldn't need these items.

To laugh is human but to moo is bovine. Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2015 :  05:44:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Janet. Anyone else with suggestions?

Go to Top of Page

Sydney2015

1156 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2015 :  09:37:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It would be nice to see one with the costs of hand milking versus machine milking. That way, you could compare the costs.

A good laugh overcomes more difficulties and dissipates more dark clouds than any other one thing - Laura Ingalls Wilder

I live on a small farm of seventy acres called Green Forest Farm, with 10 horses, a donkey, 5 beef cows, 2 beef heifers, 3 Hereford heifers, around 60 chickens, 8 dogs, my amazing cow, AppleButter, and her little Jersey calf HoneyButter!
Go to Top of Page

Andrea0509

155 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2015 :  10:51:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you SO much for posting this Cindy and Mary Jane! I'm a long ways off until milking begins, but I'm starting to look at milk machines (liking the sounds of the EZ!) and compiling a list of things to get before then. You guys are great, thanks!
Go to Top of Page

txbikergirl

3197 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2015 :  11:47:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
looking forward to hearing about your journey andrea! if i could only have a few things in my milking parlor, along with the Udderly EZ I would add the siderail and the super duper milkmaid stool. those three make easy work of everything to be done.

i also love dr sarah's essentials that i am using as teat cream, post milk teat dip, etc.

Go to Top of Page

Andrea0509

155 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2015 :  12:37:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Cindy, good to know! I went and liked Dr. Sarah's Facebook page and checked out her website when I first heard you recommend her products. And that milkmaid seat looks amazing that you have!
Go to Top of Page

Andrea0509

155 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2016 :  12:24:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cindy, I have a few questions as I'm going through your supply list:
1) What is the liquifan soap used for, and where can it be purchased? Or something similar to it?
2) What do you use the large stainless steel bowls for? You listed 6 qt., how many of these do you use?
3) The pre and post teat dip - what one(s) do you use? I see Dr. Sarah's milking comfort teat dip is listed?
4) What type of containers do you use for milk storage? Large mason jars with the screw-on lids? Or the smaller milk bottles with lids?
Sorry if these are dumb questions! ;) Thank you again for this wonderful resource!!

Hobby farming with my husband & two kids in beautiful Michigan ~ 1 Jersey; Miss Persimmon, 2 Olde English Southdown ewes; Lula & Clementine, and chickens to come Spring 2016. Loving the adventure!
Go to Top of Page

Sydney2015

1156 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2016 :  4:11:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have one more suggestion.(If you started making lists, MaryJane) this is a lot like I said earlier, one for hand milking. I know you don't need to much extra, but it would be nice. Thanks!

A good laugh overcomes more difficulties and dissipates more dark clouds than any other one thing - Laura Ingalls Wilder

I live on a small farm of seventy acres called Green Forest Farm, with 10 horses, a donkey, 5 beef cows, 2 beef heifers, 3 Hereford heifers, around 60 chickens, 8 dogs, my amazing cow, AppleButter, and her little Jersey calf HoneyButter!
Go to Top of Page

txbikergirl

3197 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2016 :  5:13:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Andrea. all good questions.

The liquipfan soap is a specialized soap to cut milk fat. and especially for hand washing your stuff. there are other specialized soaps if you are running milk lines and such, but this one cuts the fats and cleans things wonderfully. got it at hamby http://hambydairysupply.com/xcart/product.php?productid=18068

mary jane taught me this one, she puts her ez milker bottles in the stainless steel bowl so they never sit on the floor of the parlor. i got larger ones than hers, and use it to move the ez milk bottles and hoses to/from my kitchen each day. i line it with a few of my parlor towels to keep it all clean. i may change this over time, but they are a nice size and i can essentially hold it against my hip with one arm and carry a lot in it to/from house.

I use the Teat-Kote from Hamby for pre-milking teat dip as found here http://hambydairysupply.com/xcart/product.php?productid=199&page=1
and also use the Dr. Sarah's milking comfort teat dip like you but for post-milking teat dip. Note that Dr Sarah's specifically says it is for POST milking teat dip.

I went with true milk bottles. Lover boy was pushing for them, and I'm glad he did as we just love them - makes it all feel "real" to us. We use both the half gallon and the short pint. and the plastic lids. the lids are reuseable, i put them through the dishwasher but don't use the "sanitize" feature for that load. we do have half gallon mason jars with screw on lids for when needed, like if i want a quick fix to skim cream off. but honestly i just pour off the cream off any milk bottle i want to get the cream i want. and a sharpy marker is great on them to mark the date - a scrubber sponge will take that off with a little warm water when you wash the bottles. we use these bottles http://www.redhillgeneralstore.com/housewares/kitchen/kitacc/Glass-Milk-Bottles.htm

i have learned most of this either on HJO or by reading MCK.

Edited by - txbikergirl on Feb 05 2016 5:13:56 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: