Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Topic
Page: of 3

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2015 :  2:31:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
SOLD to Texas.

I am proud to offer for sale Tumbleweed Sally O’Mally (48.50 inches at the withers), currently pregnant with her third calf (sired by Sir Charles). She is the mother of my bull, Beau Vine.

Sir Charles, https://www.heritagejersey.org/chatroom/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=155

Samson (foreground) and Sir Charles

Tumbleweed Sally O’Mally is from Kansas, purchased by me on 8/20/2011 (born 4/7/2011, A2A2, naturally polled/hornless) and is in milk currently, giving me close to 2 gallons per day, once per day milking. Her due date is June 15, 2015. She’ll need to be dried up by April 15 and should be transported sooner rather than later in her pregnancy. She gives birth easily and quickly and without complications. She’s also easily bred, first try all three times.

All the animals in my herd are tested annually at the WSU Veterinary Hospital for disease as well as annual diagnostic testing for parasites and essential trace minerals. Sally O’Mally tests negative for TB, Brucellosis, Q fever, Johne’s, BLV, and BVD. My bulls are trichomoniasis-free. She is Bang’s vaccinated. She is current on all her vaccinations and her hooves were trimmed late last fall. Paperwork available to verify all of the above.

Sally O’Mally has a firm udder that can easily be milked by hand …

although I prefer using an Ultimate EZ Milker on her because the orifices on her front two teats are small.

Because she has a tendency to shift and lift her back feet, she’s used to having one of her rear legs strapped during milking.

She’s never had any trace of mastitis and has never been ill.

Sally O’Mally is an easily haltered and trained-to-lead, productive milk cow who is a great mother. $5,750 firm. Buyers will be screened (think of this more as an adoption).

Sally O’Mally deserves a loving, long-term home where she can provide milk and calves every year for another dozen years plus.

Below are photos of her last calf, Sir Anthony (Samson sired)

Sir Anthony

sire: Samson

and her first calf, Beau Vine (Milky Way sired).

Beau Vine

sire: Milky Way

Email me and we can set up a time to visit over the phone:
cattle@maryjanesfarm.org
Serious buyers only, please.

MaryJane Butters, author of Milk Cow Kitchen ~ striving for the stoicism of a cow standing in the rain ~

tcboweevil

338 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2015 :  2:50:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh, MaryJane. She is beautiful. I am putting her on my wish list!!!

But seriously. I hope your beautiful girls are adopted by the best.
Go to Top of Page

Udder Chaos

30 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2015 :  3:01:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh I'm in love! She sounds perfect for us! she is even from Kansas too! I am going to show this to my hubby tonight and get back to you.

Edited by - Udder Chaos on Feb 11 2015 7:44:24 PM
Go to Top of Page

Mike

1667 Posts
Mike
Argyle WI
United States of America

Posted - Feb 10 2015 :  3:25:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
She's a beauty. Perfect height too. And the covergirl of the website. And....a good price!!!
Go to Top of Page

tcboweevil

338 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2015 :  7:00:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If I am reading the registry right, she is heavy bred to Sir Charles who is homozygous polled a2/a2 and she is a2/a2. Sir Charles is 37.5" and she is 47.25". She is a doll and that calf will have absolutely awesome bloodlines. If a heifer, polled A2/A2 and probably 40-45 inches. Just perfect! If a bull, would be an awesome breeder potential. Again, family sized and A2/A2.

MaryJane, did I read that right? I know your heart must be heavy, but I think I read you have 4 more calves coming and a farmer has to make these tough choices.

Udder Chaos, I hope your hubby says yes. Really, Really.

I would be there by the weekend if I could buy her and if I were approved for adoption. I'll shut up now and cheer you on silently.
Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2015 :  7:15:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't say that Sally O'Mally has the ultimate in udders as you can see in the photos. She's perfect for providing milk for a family. Sir Charles mother, Sweetheart, doesn't have a nice big udder either, but again fine for providing milk. I think it's VERY important going forward to get people to truly disclose what it is they know about the cows they sell. I think Etta Jane has fantastic genetics. Her udder is fabulous, teats are great for both hand and machine milking (plenty of milk for her size when she freshens) and her height is miniature if that's what you're looking for.

MaryJane Butters, author of Milk Cow Kitchen ~ striving for the stoicism of a cow standing in the rain ~
Go to Top of Page

txbikergirl

3197 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2015 :  9:19:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Questions from the wannabe milkmaid, and hoping perhaps these help out others not quite in the bovine know yet:

1. How late is too late to transport a pregnant cow due June 15th? 60 days prior, 90?? Just wondering...

2. Do you use sexed semen ? Have been reading up on it in the quest for all knowledge cow related and it seems expensive and iffy (as in pregnancy rate isn't quite up there).

3. When you have a calf with these great bloodlines, if it is male is there someone out there that would appreciate the bloodlines - instead of making him a steer? We want our cow as a family milk cow, so will be breeding ongoing for that, but would keep any heifers for future milk cows also... I'm not trying to find a cash flow source for potential male calves, just trying to be sensitive to future of the bloodlines and wanting to know if my thought that it is a crime to convert them to beef is right on.

4. What is the life expectancy of one of these heritage jersey girls? And should we plan conservatively on a new calf every 1.5 years or every 2 years?

5. Are they trained to electric fences? I know you talk about using them in your book but don't want to assume anything. We are in the process of fixing the fences for our south pasture, but may need one side of it to be electrical for a few months.

6. Would it be best to have another cow for company ASAP, or just wait for calving to happen? We are planning for 2-3 cows to have a happy herd long-term, just wasn't sure of immediacy.

Thanks for your patience MJ and everyone, I have always appreciated your willingness to share your information.

Take care, and happy President's Day to y'all!

Firefly Hollow Farm , our little farmstead. Farmgirl living in the green piney woods of East Texas on 23 acres with a few jerseys, too many chickens, a pair of pugs and my Texan hubby (aka "lover boy")
Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2015 :  05:33:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Answers coming as soon as I have more than a few seconds! Good questions. Love that you're doing your homework first.

Go to Top of Page

txbikergirl

3197 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2015 :  06:28:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
By all means take your time. I am a little cow crazed and I am sure you can understand and appreciate that ;> My only haste is trying to find the right cow in 2015 and to make a good match for all involved, and that means not sitting around waiting for the cow to just jump into my lap without any effort on my part...

I think I came up with the most important question, and it has nothing to do with my needs/wants/desires:

Is it safe to transport a pregnant cow 31 hours south from Idaho to Texas? Mentally and physically? Obviously if not yet dried off we have a milking need, but there has to be a window where it just isn't smart to push the cow to meet the human demands.

And we have warm and humid summers, but lots of healthy pasture and fresh air. Just don't want to do harm shocking a pregnant cow into the bible belt from the cool northwest - although we aren't really hot until mid-July.

quote:
Originally posted by maryjane

Answers coming as soon as I have more than a few seconds! Good questions. Love that you're doing your homework first.

Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2015 :  07:20:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This should help answer your question about a companion animal for Sally O'Mally:
https://www.heritagejersey.org/chatroom/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=181

Go to Top of Page

txbikergirl

3197 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2015 :  10:38:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks! one concern alleviated ;> I also performed the obviously late task of searching the chatrooms for all things "Sally O'Mally" and enjoyed reading more about her.

this is the perfect day for this activity; a storm of freezing rain is blowing in, so a rare day off from farm chores in which to sit by a roaring fire and satisfy my bovine obsession with some light reading. thanks again.

quote:
Originally posted by maryjane

This should help answer your question about a companion animal for Sally O'Mally:
https://www.heritagejersey.org/chatroom/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=181

Firefly Hollow Farm , our little farmstead. Farmgirl living in the green piney woods of East Texas on 23 acres with a few jerseys, too many chickens, a pair of pugs and my Texan hubby (aka "lover boy")
Go to Top of Page

Ron

4666 Posts
Ronnie
Peever SD
USA

Posted - Feb 16 2015 :  11:48:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Udderly delightful looking Cow!

With a moo moo here and a moo moo there, here a moo, there a moo, everywhere a moo moo.
Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2015 :  12:25:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here are the answers to your questions.

1. How late is too late to transport a pregnant cow due June 15th? 60 days prior, 90?? Just wondering...

I need to dry her up by the first of April or April 15 at the latest so she has good reserves for giving birth June 15. I have a call in to my vet to confirm what I’m thinking but I’m going to say she could be transported that far sometime before mid-March, a month from now. I transported a pregnant cow 24 hours when she was close to 7 months pregnant and had no complications. I could dry Sally O’Mally up in advance so she doesn’t have to be milked en route. Although wouldn’t that be cute to see someone milking a cow in a truck stop? I would be happy to include a milking machine, either an Ultimate EZ milker (electric) or a Quik Milker (foot pedal), your choice, along with everything else you’d need to milk her along the way as well as once you arrive home. (I would just worry less if I knew you were totally set up.) It might be easier all around to dry her up and be totally ready once she freshens, although she's been giving me more and more the last week, up to two gallons a few days ago. She was giving me close to 3 gallons after she freshened last summer but I traveled to NYC in December so I put her calf on her full-time until I weaned him a few weeks ago and began milking her again. In my experience, that always diminishes the amount of milk a cow will give because they don’t always nurse on all four teats evenly like when we milk a cow.

2. Do you use sexed semen ? Have been reading up on it in the quest for all knowledge cow related and it seems expensive and iffy (as in pregnancy rate isn't quite up there).

No, I haven’t used sexed semen yet. The AI percentage is already 60-70% and drops even lower for sexed semen. Also, when I took Samson in to be collected last year, they told me that coming up we’d see new technology that would increase the percentage pregnancy rate for sexed semen, so I opted out for now until that’s in place.

3. When you have a calf with these great bloodlines, if it is male is there someone out there that would appreciate the bloodlines - instead of making him a steer? We want our cow as a family milk cow, so will be breeding ongoing for that, but would keep any heifers for future milk cows also... I'm not trying to find a cash flow source for potential male calves, just trying to be sensitive to future of the bloodlines and wanting to know if my thought that it is a crime to convert them to beef is right on.

I think more and more people are getting comfortable keeping a bull on the premises. Having a bull handy makes the whole process easier. At least, it has for me. What I hope I’m accomplishing is a better process for how we disclose what we know about our animals. When you come across a breeder (I speak from experience) who says things like: Dam had nice-size teats, good udder, etc. they should provide photos. It’s one thing to tell people what they want to hear, it’s another thing to prove it. There’s a whole lotta bull going on in the breeder world. As an aside, have you priced steers lately? The going rate is the highest it’s been in quite a while around here.

4. What is the life expectancy of one of these heritage jersey girls? And should we plan conservatively on a new calf every 1.5 years or every 2 years?

We had someone on the chatroom say she had her cow for 17 years. I know of that going as high as 24. Yes, you can keep those calves coming, year after year. I recently bought a cow (a very big, over-sized mainstream dairy cow) that was milked for six years without any pregnancies (because they wanted less, not more milk). By the time she was dried up, she was still giving 2 gallons/day, down from 8 when she freshened.) Like, Ron said, my Fanci is a one-cow dairy, https://www.heritagejersey.org/chatroom/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=757

5. Are they trained to electric fences? I know you talk about using them in your book but don't want to assume anything. We are in the process of fixing the fences for our south pasture, but may need one side of it to be electrical for a few months.

All of my cows are trained to honor electric fencing and never give me any problems. Sometimes we forget to turn it back on after we’ve moved manure or something and none of my gals have ever challenged it, even for days at a time--handy trait during power outages.

Also, you might like to know that my daughter and I wrote a children’s book that we received from the printer on Saturday, starring none other than the glamorous Sally O’Mally. I’ll get a photo of the book loaded here shortly.

Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2015 :  12:58:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2015 :  1:00:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like Congratulations are in order for txbikergirl, MaryJane and Sally O'Mally. How lovely things are working out the way they are. Happy for you all!

To laugh is human but to moo is bovine. Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

txbikergirl

3197 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2015 :  5:25:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks nelliebellie, its still premature but we are in the "dating but seriously interested" phase.

i honestly think my hubby might be feeling better if I had told him i was pregnant... with triplets... he's a little overwhelmed... back in 2013 the "2015 year of the cow" didn't seem so close I guess. time to wake up and smell the hay.

quote:
Originally posted by NellieBelle

Looks like Congratulations are in order for txbikergirl, MaryJane and Sally O'Mally. How lovely things are working out the way they are. Happy for you all!

Go to Top of Page

txbikergirl

3197 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2015 :  5:29:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks Miss Mary Jane, I'll email you with my number. we can be considered a "serious inquiry/potential buyer" at this point.... we are excited but a bit overwhelmed

Go to Top of Page

Ron

4666 Posts
Ronnie
Peever SD
USA

Posted - Feb 16 2015 :  5:32:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A2A2 quality cow will pay you back in calfs alone in no time. Not to mention the training and breeding that went into this Girl. If nothing else a great use of the cash for a quality animal!

With a moo moo here and a moo moo there, here a moo, there a moo, everywhere a moo moo.
Go to Top of Page

txbikergirl

3197 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2015 :  6:54:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks ron. its thanks to your sage advice that i have been patient the last 6 months and waited for a pregnant cow instead of starting with a young heifer like your betsy girl. and i kept an open mind regarding guernsey or jersey, because i can always have one of each later on ;>
Go to Top of Page

Ron

4666 Posts
Ronnie
Peever SD
USA

Posted - Feb 16 2015 :  7:15:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One of each? Lol..Jersey and Guernsey? There is a good maket for good cows and good milk. Not to mention they are just plain fun. Lol..

Sally looks like a good one from here. Might be a little far from you but I can say I have gone further for less.
Wouldn't mind one like Her myself but I doubt I could pass the screening process! Lol..

Go to Top of Page

mszabo

21 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2015 :  1:20:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Mary Jane,

I am new to this forum, and very excited to find all of the wealth of knowledge here, as we are new to cows, and researching and looking for the right milk cow for our family.

Is Tumbleweed still available?

We are in Colorado..how would we go about getting her here? My husband could possibly drive part way.

Thank you for your time!
Megan and the Szabo Family

Edited by - mszabo on Feb 18 2015 1:21:58 PM
Go to Top of Page

Mike

1667 Posts
Mike
Argyle WI
United States of America

Posted - Feb 18 2015 :  3:48:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sally is a jewel. Getting two critters at one time (preggy mom cow) is the best of all possible worlds for the home milker You will soon have a fresh cow, you can get the amount of milk you need by sharing with the calf, and if it is a heifer calf you just started your herd. Such a deal:)

I am probably going to use up the Fairview semen I have and then start getting sexed semen from Maryjane.
I am also going to get a bull for cleanup, probably a Jersey bull, even though they have a reputation for hurting folks. There are several pure Jersey milking herds around here, within twenty miles. I will talk to them about putting my girls in their herds for a couple months to get a sure breeding and then bring them home. One of the herd owners is okay with that. I just pay for the pasture time and they get bred.

This year we are also starting to put this farm back into pastures, thus my enthusiasm about Newman Turner and his work. We have 151 acres to work with.

Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2015 :  3:53:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Megan, so nice to greet newcomers. Welcome. You will love meeting the folks in this chatroom. Great people and so knowledgable. Great place to gain information and insight to so many things.

To laugh is human but to moo is bovine. Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2015 :  08:38:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome Megan!!!! It would be nice if you told us a bit more about yourself over in our Welcome category here:

https://www.heritagejersey.org/chatroom/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=2

where it says: "Are you new to the Heritage Jersey Organization chatroom? Find out how it works and introduce yourself! We’re anxious to get to know you."

Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2015 :  09:51:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hopefully, I've answered all your questions regarding travel and pregnant cows here:

https://www.heritagejersey.org/chatroom/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=780

Go to Top of Page

Ron

4666 Posts
Ronnie
Peever SD
USA

Posted - Feb 19 2015 :  2:32:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This pretty girl sold yet?

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: