New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Topic
Page: of 2

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2015 :  08:17:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Clover seems to be doing well...knock on wood. Yes, traveling over to MaryJane's Farm was getting to be routine. I remember Clover running to greet all of her cow friends after we brought her back a week or so ago...pretty funny to watch. It was as if Clover was running over, greeting her Beau and then running down to talk to the "girls" over the back fence...catching up on the latest news.

Clover moo-ed to greet us this morning, but not the nonstop mooing she was doing before. But this is early so that just may start up again. I'll go and brush her out again and take her for a walk today.

"Fun youthfulness" is just the right description of Clover as she dances and prances out in the field. I suspect she'll mature just like my goats have. Giving birth for the first time really settles my youthful goats down as well. So I will enjoy this time with Clover...

Although, I am eagerly waiting to see what her babe will look like and start milking Clover!

Loving life and family on our Idaho farm, Meadowlark Heritage Farm; A few Jersey cows; a few alpacas; a few more goats, and even more ducks and chickens
Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2015 :  4:39:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Clover's mooing has increased all day long...but this time I know she's pregnant so I cannot be tricked. I think she really is lonely, even though she has a horse right over the fence and can see five of the neighbor's horses. I've gone out and talked with her several times today.

Loving life and family on our Idaho farm, Meadowlark Heritage Farm; A few Jersey cows; a few alpacas; a few more goats, and even more ducks and chickens
Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2015 :  5:51:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Charlene, when I bought my first little calf, the dairyman told me, "you will want to get a companion for her because they are a social animal." They form friendships. So if Clover just got home, she is probably missing the cow/bull friends she made. I bought two more calves to be with my first calf and they were inseparable. Now Nellie and Sienna don't want to be apart either. I have horses but they don't form friendships with the horses.

To laugh is human but to moo is bovine. Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2015 :  8:00:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So...I need a companion for Clover before her calf is born? What would be best for her? Good to know that the cows will not form friendships with horses. I did not known that. So would a calf be a good companion or another full grown cow? Will having no companions until her calf is born be damaging to Clover? Could the stress be bad for the pregnancy?

Go to Top of Page

Ron

4666 Posts
Ronnie
Peever SD
USA

Posted - Jan 12 2015 :  8:08:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Guernsey therapy?

With a moo moo here and a moo moo there, here a moo, there a moo, everywhere a moo moo.
Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2015 :  8:38:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I didn't mean that all cows may not form friendships with horses, I'm saying my cows don't form friendships with our horses. The cows stay together and the horses stay together, separately. It's rare if you seem them all together for any length of time. No, I doubt if will be stressful for Clover without a companion, but cows like company is all I'm saying. I don't believe it will effect her pregnancy at all. She will be fine. She has you and your family.

To laugh is human but to moo is bovine. Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

Ron

4666 Posts
Ronnie
Peever SD
USA

Posted - Jan 12 2015 :  8:41:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Harriet mooed allot when I took Her home from the dairy but after a couple weeks Shecsettled right in. Clover will be fine as long as She has you Char!

With a moo moo here and a moo moo there, here a moo, there a moo, everywhere a moo moo.
Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2015 :  9:14:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We've all been giving Clover lots of love! And will continue to do so... It was amusing to watch her today. I would come out on the front porch and she would see me from the top of the pasture (pasture is on a hill). She'd start mooing and cow-trotting down to "talk" with me. My son who was home from the farm today said that she would settle down and then see me, immediately start mooing and coming down the hill, every time. My son fed her pellets this afternoon and loved on Clover so she is very much a spoiled, well-loved cow.

Hopefully in a few days she'll settle in. I will make sure I spend extra time with her...her tail sure looks beautiful now!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: