Milking
 Versatility of a milking machine
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Topic  

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2014 :  9:03:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This may be a strange question; however, can the same machine be used between goats and Jersey cows? I think eventually I would like a machine to help with milking as I currently milk by hand. But I would like to see if I could use the same machine for both kinds of animals so I wouldn't need to purchase two separate systems.

Loving life and family on our Idaho farm, Meadowlark Heritage Farm; A few Jersey cows; a few alpacas; a few more goats, and even more ducks and chickens

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2014 :  9:11:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Call Hamby Dairy Supply and ask for Suzanne. Super helpful and knowledgeable. She loves to problem solve.

MaryJane Butters, author of Milk Cow Kitchen ~ striving for the stoicism of a cow standing in the rain ~
Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2014 :  9:16:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you! Great resource!

Loving life and family on our Idaho farm, Meadowlark Heritage Farm; A few Jersey cows; a few alpacas; a few more goats, and even more ducks and chickens
Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2014 :  8:54:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Found one at Hamby Dairy Supply! I will be saving up for this machine and I will be able to use it both for my goats and Jerseys. I just need to order different inflators for my goats. So my future milk room will be for both goats and cows...so excited and pleased.

Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2014 :  2:39:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was just down cleaning my milking parlor. It helps that I love it and take pride in it. It makes me look forward to being in it every day. Mine even has curtains!
Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2014 :  10:36:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Many Friday nights are family movie nights at our house...tonight was no exception. But our movie selection was a bit more of an exception. We found a DVD called "Chore Time, Milking made easier by planning ahead". Some people would have found it extremely dry and boring, but all of us were watching and learning a ton about milk house design, milk parlor (they had no curtains, but a beautiful stained glass window in one wall), and the process of milking. It was a fun evening and my second grader asked to watch it again! So, we are gathering ideas and actually started writing and sketching out plans! Love how it brings our whole family together!

Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - May 04 2014 :  4:59:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Has anyone tried the udderlyez.com milking machines? One is manual but the Ultimate EZ Milker has a small electric pump. Here's a video: http://www.udderlyez.com/ultimate_ez_milker.php

MaryJane Butters, author of Milk Cow Kitchen ~ striving for the stoicism of a cow standing in the rain ~
Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - May 04 2014 :  5:29:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We watched the video...like the price, for sure. But, I am wondering can a person clean this unit and sanitize it successfully? Those bottle that were being used for the cow looked like it would be almost impossible to clean due to their shape. What do you think of using plastic bottles? Also, which method is better for the cows and goats...the continuous suction or the pulsating suction on other models? Personally, I would think the pulsating would be better as it is more like nature? What is your opinion, MaryJane?

Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - May 04 2014 :  8:07:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm thinking it would be nice if it worked. I have a mini-Jersey right now that I'm milking by hand because her two back teats are so small and I haven't wanted to subject her to my big machine yet.

When I milk her two back teats, I milk them from behind so their machine could work. Maybe I should try one so I'd know for sure because the price is certainly attractive. I've wondered about the sanitation also with the shape of those bottles. They do sell a special brush for cleaning them. I'll call them tomorrow and ask some questions. I'm curious as to how one would sanitize the tubing, etc. on a daily basis.

Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - May 04 2014 :  8:25:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Let us know what they say! I also questioned their how-to video which was on-line as no one wore latex gloves while milking or touching the milking machine...even when they were adjusting the suction, they covered both cups with bare hands! All I could think when I saw that was about what could possibly fall off their hands into the milk bottles or what germs were being allowed to enter into the milk. But I do really like the portability of the unit. So, I will be interested to hear what you learn, MaryJane!

Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - May 16 2014 :  04:43:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's on its way. I will let you know. It's a family operation. Super helpful. I did ask about cleanliness, so she's sending me some cleaning brushes and extra bottles. I actually traded her my book for extra bottles! I'm hopeful I can customize how I use it to accommodate a more sterile approach to handling the machine parts and the milk.

The other day I watched a video of a blogger showing how she milks her cow. She grabbed/touched all kinds of things around the barn, touched the cow, etc. and then proceeded to milk her cow by hand without even washing her hands first. She merely wiped the teats off with a wet towel that she'd brought to the barn--draped over a railing before use. The cow was standing in a solid coating of very wet manure on a concrete pad. I counted 10 ways in which contamination could occur.

As a small-scale producer, I want us to be able to sell raw milk legally so I'm on a mission to clean up how we clean up. I hope my book helps in that regard. We need to think of it the same way we think of cleanliness when we can our produce. People used to get sick and of course die from home-canned goods but through education and the help of extension offices in the 50s and 60s, the protocol for canning is fairly standard and people follow it now. Who isn't aware of and afraid of botulism? I'm equally nervous about Campylobacter, Listeria, Mycobacterium bovis, Salmonella, E. coli, Shigella, Streptococcus pyogenes, and Yersinia enterocolitica ... to name a few nasties that can incubate in milk when certain cleaning protocols aren't followed. Why take the risk when it's so darn easy not to?

I spoke with a woman who ended up in the ICU (at home now slowly recovering) from Campylobacter that she contracted during a weekend AI (artificial insemination) workshop in which they weren't paying close enough attention to hand washing, etc. Yikes! I'll bet they have a new cleaning protocol now!

Go to Top of Page
  Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: