Chit Chat and Daily Weather Report
 with November comes hungry wildlife
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Topic  

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2021 :  07:14:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Momma and baby pausing after eating breakfast, compliments one of my heirloom apple trees I've been bringing back to fruition after it almost died of old age. Lucas cut off a major part of its trunk (that was dead and hollow) last year and then I watered it all summer. I'm happy to report that we got nice big FLAVORFUL apples off of it and so did our resident moose family. Our deck (also new) sits atop the original homestead
rock-walled root cellar built in 1901.

MaryJane Butters, author of Milk Cow Kitchen ~ striving for the stoicism of a cow standing in the rain ~

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2021 :  1:34:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is so cool MaryJane. Moose eating off of your saved apple tree and standing atop of your root cellar. I've had deer, rut season, and they've been bedding down in my grove. But no moose. Planted 17 trees Saturday and two more on Sunday. I ordered Bur oak and Shagbark hickory trees from State Forest Nursery. 50 trees all together, but I know I won't be able to get them all in the ground this fall. May heel some in until spring. Not able to go like I use to, but still going. Colors of trees still magnificent. Some trees completely bare. I have one oak tree that has leaves that are absolutely huge. Fun kicking through them on the way to and from the barn. Had company over for supper Friday evening. I made Tourte Milanese, chili, and of course a raspberry swiss roll. Raspberries galore. Have a great week!

To laugh is human but to moo is bovine. Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2021 :  06:18:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your cooking is getting more and more exotic/gourmet Janet. Why do I think that? I have to google what you bake anymore--Tourte Milanese for example. Sure do wish I lived next door.

More trees. You're going to have an arboretum next thing you know.

We're going to try AI again on Rosetta this morning at 8 am, our 5th try. This time, the woman who has been AIing Rosetta is going to bring someone who has a reputation for getting heifers pregnant. Now I know why I kept a bull for so many years.

I think we're finally ready for winter. In fact, I started sorting and cleaning in my attic yesterday, a sure sign I'm not chasing around outside attending to a million things.

MaryJane Butters, author of Milk Cow Kitchen ~ striving for the stoicism of a cow standing in the rain ~
Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2021 :  09:00:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hopeful for Rosetta. It would be easier with a bull I'm sure. We've AI'd Nellie and Estella so far, and waiting and thinking on the other two gals, Millie and Darla. Weaned Grady and now milking Darla and Estella. Two steers going to sale barn tomorrow. Butchers can't take until April so... Freezers are full and just don't need meat right now. I'm so tickled because my Bird Of Paradise bloomed. I've been waiting and waiting and finally this morning it opened up. As did some of the orchids, but this is a first for the Bird of Paradise. Just stunning. I never tire of flowers. And the other night I was up anyway so took some pictures of the lunar eclipse. Froze my tail off at 22 degrees, but worth it. Toward morning the sky was hazy and I couldn't get a clear shot. Probably won't see another. Just came in from pruning all the roses and getting them ready for winter sleep. Kittens moved to outside building and not much else for now. Loading the steers up this afternoon. All the cows and calves coming along well. Picked my last rose today. Greenhouse is vibrant with geraniums in bloom and greens a plenty. Enjoy the week!

Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2021 :  5:42:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your Bird of Paradise is quite the accomplishment, Janet. Congrats. And as usual, your orchids are lovely. I miss keeping orchids so I brought one home from the grocery store recently, a white one with yellow centers. I'm loving it sitting next to me during tea breaks.

Stella and Mia have a telescope I've been learning how to use. Your eclipse moment was obviously worth the cold.

Another Thanksgiving; still enjoying leftovers.

Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2021 :  01:54:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, a flowering plant or green houseplant, they seem to cheer me. Yesterday afternoon I decided to take a drive to a greenhouse I frequent because they were having a $1.00 houseplant sale. I was in my element. I won't tell you how many plants I came home with, but let's just say I'm still figuring out where to put them all. I could have bare minimum furniture and live among the plants just fine. Had to get some more pots too. Nellie sort of came into heat and sorta not. She wanted to mount the other cows but they wanted nothing to do with her. So once again a conundrum. I guess I will wait another month and see how she behaves. With the leftover turkey I thought I would make the Turkey Noodle Casserole in your Oct.-Nov. 2020 issue of MaryJanesFarm to finish up. I did Julia Child's deconstructed turkey again because it makes the juiciest and tastiest turkey. It's more preparation but worth it. 63 degrees yesterday and a warm November week ahead.

Go to Top of Page
  Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: