Printer Friendly
Author Topic  

chives

313 Posts
Victoria
Shelton WA
usa

Posted - Oct 23 2014 :  8:47:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
At what age does a calf get horns? Is it different ages? Little Annie will be three months on the 27th and I have not felt anything. Vicki

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2014 :  04:16:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can only give you information on my own experience here. All of the calves I've had that developed horns, I noticed them at 3-5 weeks old and had them removed early on. Or at least when you could notice them. I felt them first. Hard little nubbins. I don't care to go through the dehorning process but if they have them, well here, we have them removed. I'm sure there are others on the chatroom that could give you answers to your question.
Go to Top of Page

Ron

4666 Posts
Ronnie
Peever SD
USA

Posted - Oct 24 2014 :  04:31:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No Vicki. Should be feeling some little nubs by now. Did mom or dad have horns?

With a moo moo here and a moo moo there, here a moo, there a moo, everywhere a moo moo.
Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2014 :  04:37:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Vicki,
On mine that are genetically predisposed to horns, they've always made their presence known before three months.

MaryJane Butters, author of Milk Cow Kitchen ~ striving for the stoicism of a cow standing in the rain ~
Go to Top of Page

chives

313 Posts
Victoria
Shelton WA
usa

Posted - Oct 24 2014 :  10:26:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

The dad had horns. The mom did not have them. She said it would be 50/50. Vicki
Go to Top of Page

Ron

4666 Posts
Ronnie
Peever SD
USA

Posted - Oct 25 2014 :  04:45:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like maybe you will not have to deal with it. :)

With a moo moo here and a moo moo there, here a moo, there a moo, everywhere a moo moo.
Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2014 :  06:29:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
With that kind of luck you better go pick up a lottery ticket.

MaryJane Butters, author of Milk Cow Kitchen ~ striving for the stoicism of a cow standing in the rain ~
Go to Top of Page

chives

313 Posts
Victoria
Shelton WA
usa

Posted - Oct 26 2014 :  2:19:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like I won't have to worry about de horning her. Wahoo. I was a bit nervous about it. That has to hurt, maybe I will get a lottery ticket. Vicki
Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2014 :  09:02:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And, if you go buy a lottery ticket...maybe you should buy one for the rest of us too! :-)

So nice not to have to dehorn her! Half of my goat kids this year were naturally polled and I loved not having to go through the dehorning process.

Loving life and family on our Idaho farm, Meadowlark Heritage Farm; A few Jersey cows; a few alpacas; a few more goats, and even more ducks and chickens
Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2014 :  10:45:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just thought I would let you know that Autumn Cider is only two weeks old and his little horn nubbins are up and it will be a couple/three weeks yet and we will have them removed along with the other surgical procedure that poor little bull calves have to go through. I dread it. At least it will be cool and I won't have to worry about flies.
Go to Top of Page
  Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: