Birth and Delivery
 One more month
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Topic  

SLynn

25 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2021 :  01:47:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone! Our heifer is due March 20th, and we are pretty excited. Her udder is slowly starting to fill. I have heard that heifers can bag up later than seasoned cows. Her vulva is getting a bit loose, so she's making progress there. Her calf is active.
Per her genomic testing results, she is slated to be a low producing girl. Would that affect her udder development at this stage?
Hope you are all doing well!

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2021 :  07:11:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My girls' symptoms and production are always more pronounced the second time around. I've learned to have a wait and see approach to it all the first time and not over-think it. Ha, or second guess myself. She's just getting her feet wet this time.

It looks like she has black velvet ears. How wonderfully unique. None of my girls have ever shown that feature. Also, I love her white eyeliner eyes. What a beauty.

MaryJane Butters, author of Milk Cow Kitchen ~ striving for the stoicism of a cow standing in the rain ~
Go to Top of Page

SLynn

25 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2021 :  11:22:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you, MaryJane. Yes, she does have black velvet ears. They add so much to her facial features. We are happy she's newly on your registry (Buttercup Lady Stella)!

She has very little edema thus far, and hoping she stays that way throughout her last month. She walks all around the pasture, which I'm sure helps.

I will be sure to share pictures when the big day arrives. Thanks again.

~Sarah
Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2021 :  05:47:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
First-time heifer edema is unfortunate, but it's never showed up the second time around in my experience. Exercise is good. I wonder if the time of year when a heifer delivers makes a difference? I'd never thought of that. Cows are fairly sedentary any time of year, which is what I love about a cow; they get up every day, stretch, provide manure, eat, mill around a bit, and then go back down for dreamy, cud-chewing naps. Always content.

MaryJane Butters, author of Milk Cow Kitchen ~ striving for the stoicism of a cow standing in the rain ~
Go to Top of Page
  Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: