New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Topic
Page: of 3

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2020 :  07:48:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Early this morning I went out with a flashlight to check on Millie, as today is her due date. Millie was resting and Nellie and Darla (calf Hoss), were eating hay. When it was light, about 45 minutes later, I went out to start chores, and I looked down in the pasture and saw a cow with a newborn calf on the ground. I assumed it was Millie, but was surprised to find it was Nellie. I'm pleased to say that Sweet Nellie, after 5 bull calves, finally has ended her "bull run." She had a little heifer calf, we named her Hannah. It's 59 degrees this morning, the calf was shivering, so we moved her into the barn. Nellie followed politely. All is well it seems. Nellie had no signs of milk fever this time, which I attribute to the Animate supplement. I did give her one tube of calcium post-delivery. Now they are both resting inside in a stall. Nellie wasn't suppose to be due until Oct. 20th. Surprise!

To laugh is human but to moo is bovine. Author Unknown

Edited by - NellieBelle on Oct 11 2020 08:02:54 AM

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2020 :  10:32:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This just makes my day, Janet. I was beginning to think this day would never come. Sweet, sweet Hannah, thank you. Now we have a second "Nellie" in the world.

MaryJane Butters, author of Milk Cow Kitchen ~ striving for the stoicism of a cow standing in the rain ~
Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2020 :  10:36:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Janet, the last time I tried to figure out the Animate, the only thing I could come up with was OmniGen-AF. Is that what you feed your cows? From a 50# sack? Also, I couldn't find a way to get it around here. Where do you get yours?

MaryJane Butters, author of Milk Cow Kitchen ~ striving for the stoicism of a cow standing in the rain ~
Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2020 :  10:39:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
https://www.animate-dairy.com/resource/benefits/ MaryJane, our local elevator ordered it for us. 50lb. bag.

Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2020 :  1:09:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nellie's little heifer is not doing well. Weak calf. Hasn't stood up yet. Made a few attempts but unable. I did get a full bottle of colostrum down her and she took it without difficulty, but hasn't improved. I figured this is what would happen. Wait this many years for a little heifer and then probably won't survive. Such is life. No guarantees. Nellie seems to be doing fine so far.

Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2020 :  3:35:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Vet is coming to see if he can do anything to rouse the calf around. Doesn't look promising, but will not give up hope yet.

Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2020 :  7:25:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's sad news, Janet. Let us know the outcome.

Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2020 :  7:38:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It occurred to me to point out that female calves aren't as rambunctious as male. I've had female calves that take as long as six hours to stand up. And now that she has a belly full of colostrum, she's going to sleep like she's drugged.

Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2020 :  08:55:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Update. Things haven't changed much. Hannah seems a bit perkier, but still can't get up and stand.The vet was here last evening. He checked her vitals, everything is normal or "perfect" as he put it. She is taking the bottle without hesitation, passing her meconium stool, and now the colostrum, bright mustard stool is passing. I let Nellie in to love on her, encourage her, but then I turn her out as there isn't anything she can do. The vet gave Hannah some Selenium&E, some vitamins/minerals, something else and I can't remember for the life of me. I gave Vit. B gel twice. She is such a little darling but can't stand. She has made attempts today, but not successful. I stayed with her last evening and read to her from John Burroughs, Way of Nature, until late, then I went back down this early morning at 4:30 and fed her. I visited with the vet again this morning. We are going to see how things go today. We haven't given any antibiotic or steroids as it doesn't seem warranted at this time. He is going to do some research and see if he comes up with anything. Until then he told me to keep doing what I'm doing. I've been working her legs when I visit her so they don't get stiff. I guess hurry up and wait. Sweet little thing. Millie hasn't calved yet. Whew!

Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2020 :  2:22:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What a sweet image, you reading Way of Nature to her. All my fingers are crossed for our little Hannah. Massaging her legs is an excellent idea. Come on Hannah. You can do it.

Go to Top of Page

Boots&Flipflops

499 Posts
Darla

Posted - Oct 12 2020 :  9:17:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Janet,

Congratulations on such a darling little heifer. I am sorry to hear of the issues she is having. Will pray she comes around and be just fine. Good that she is eating and passing normal stool.

I have to be honest, I stress when the cows are due. I don't sleep worth a hoot at all. Watching the cameras and out to the barn constantly. Mine have all been past their due dates.

Since Nellie was not due until the 20th and her delivery was unattended, is it possible that little Hannah landed on her head or neck and is having a bit of nuerological issues? I always worry about that when the cow is standing and gives birth. Those little wet calves fall to the ground pretty hard.

Best Wishes for a good outcome.

To Succeed In This Life You Need Three Things: A Backbone, A Wish Bone and a Funny Bone. As quoted by Reba McEntire
Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2020 :  07:48:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Darla! Thank you, we think she is sweet. Unfortunately, she still can't stand on her own, and it is taking a lot of time working with her, and she may never come out of it. The vet came again last evening with steroid and antibiotic. I really don't care using either, but at this point, maybe it will help. I go down and work with her every two hours. Work her leg muscles and help her try to stand. Bear a little weight, but she is not strong enough, and she is too heavy for me to lift both ends. Joe and I carry her outside using a towel under her middle and seeing if she can bear some weight that way. (I have a sling coming). I want her to have some sunshine and grounding. It's cool so I have to keep an eye on her so she doesn't get too chilled. She loves her bottle. That's one thing she has going for her. Appetite is good and so far she doesn't seem depressed. Yes, I was surprised with Nellie's early delivery. When I checked at 4:30a.m. she was eating hay and fine, 35-45 minutes later, a calf on the ground and I don't know how she came out. If Nellie was standing or laying down at the time. ? I guess time will tell. Until then I have my work cut out for me. Nellie doesn't understand and keeps coaxing her little one, and little Hannah tries, but just falls over. Nellie loves on her, cleans her and wants her to follow her, but she can't. It's heartbreaking to watch.

Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2020 :  07:45:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How is Hannah this morning? I've been hoping to hear good news and picturing her up and running.

Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2020 :  08:19:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning MaryJane! Well, I've been working around the clock on Miss Hannah. Right now we are at this point: I've been going down every two hours, sometimes oftener and getting her up on her feet. This isn't easy for me as she is heavy. But now she is helping a bit with her back legs and we are standing. She is still wobbly, but gaining some coordination. She doesn't seem to know what to do next, so I'm working on moving her legs to encourage walking. She either falls down when tired or I put her down after a while of strength training. This may take a few days. She is still taking Nellie's milk by bottle, good appetite. She has to be encouraged to urinate. She likes to stand for that and number two, understandable, which has me going down in-between times so she can empty her bladder. I don't know if she will come through this or not, but I'm not ready to give up on her just yet. I thought Millie was going to deliver last evening, but I stayed up for nothing as she didn't have her calf. This is just 3rd day over due date. I turned her back outside this morning, and just watching her.

Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2020 :  08:59:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yay, progress. She's lucky to have you as her angel. I'll keep my fingers crossed. Mainly, thank you! for the update. I have her and you on my mind.

Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2020 :  06:16:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning! Busy night. Millie started fussing about at 1:30a.m. I went to the barn and sat in Hannah's stall and waited. At 4:30 Millie had a bull calf. (Hank). He has been up and tried to nurse but I don't think he has been successful yet. I would try to give him some colostrum, but Millie won't let me near him and tried to take me down this morning. So he is on his own. I am happy to report Hannah is running around her pen this morning. I carried her outside twice yesterday so she could get fresh air and sunshine. She still has difficulty getting up on her own but I have seen her do it twice and I think she will be strong enough eventually. When she walked to me yesterday it was like seeing your child take it's first steps. Brought tears to my eyes I was so happy for her. Millie and Hank.

Edited by - NellieBelle on Oct 15 2020 06:17:20 AM
Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2020 :  07:22:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have the BIGGEST smile on my face right now. This is SUCH great news, Janet. What a testament to your fortitude and perseverance.

Sorry to hear about Millie. Seems like she's been cantankerous from the beginning. Will you be able to milk her?

Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2020 :  07:31:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello MaryJane! I waited and watched and Hank tried to nurse but I don't think he was getting anything, and we know how important the colostrum is, so before Joe left for work I had him help me get her into the stanchion. She doesn't care for Joe at all, so I had him stand back while I hooked her in. When I put the first bottle on her she kicked and was a fright. Front legs kicking, raring up, she's something else. I got one quart of colostrum and quit. Fed it to the calf and put Millie back with him. Done for now. It's not going to be fun. Quite dangerous. She won't be staying here I'm afraid. Don't know why she is such a pill. Darla (Millie's momma) is so sweet and gentle, and Millie is something quite different. I'm wore out but not defeated. :)

Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2020 :  08:53:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Was Millie's father perhaps a bull you haven't used before?

I'm just so very happy about Hannah!!!!!!!

Go to Top of Page

Boots&Flipflops

499 Posts
Darla

Posted - Oct 15 2020 :  09:10:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good Morning,

Janet, when I read that Hannah was up, I will admit my eyes watered!!! Between your determination and her will I am hopeful for a wonderful outcome.
Bless both of your hearts Hannah having a good appetite is also a good sign.

Hank is a cutie, but Millie? Is it maternal instinct or is she always a pill? The agression towards you and Joe is unnerving. I know they are smaller, but one of my Dorper ewes that weigh more than I do was just an agressor. She was constantly trying to dominate the other ewes and myself. After trying and trying to get her to come around she went to the sale barn. I found that I could not trust her with my back turned, and to have her take out one of my knees or hip, just wasn't in the cards. It was so hard when I unloaded her from the trailer, but it had to be. The whole atmosphere with the others became so much more peaceful after she was gone. That helped confirm I made the right decision.

I know with your continued love and hard work, your little gal will get better with each passing day.

Blessings for a Wonderful Day

To Succeed In This Life You Need Three Things: A Backbone, A Wish Bone and a Funny Bone. As quoted by Reba McEntire
Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2020 :  10:32:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you MaryJane. The sire of Millie was Zorro-PP-ET I've used his semen before and haven't had a problem with aggression in the others, so I don't know why Millie is the way she is. Too bad. I have decided to dry her up and bottle feed the calf. I have a call into our vet. It's not worth one of us getting hurt, and it could easily happen. I don't worry about myself so much, but Joe doesn't move very fast and it could end badly for either of us. I really hate to do it, but I don't see any other safe option. Don't need the added work, but rather be busy than laid up. Thank you too Darla. You have a wonderful day also!

Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2020 :  03:21:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good decision Janet. Hope Hannah's legs are getting stronger every day. You sure do have your hands full right now.

Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2020 :  10:43:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello MaryJane! Well, let me put it this way, I don't have to look for things to do. Seems like something new develops every other minute. This morning, I couldn't find Millie's calf. I looked everywhere. We have new fencing but the little guy somehow got under the fence into the hay field and sleeping curled up by some large round bales. He is a bit bigger than Hannah and I had a time getting him back under the fence. Trying to hold the lower fence wire up while I pushed him back into the barn pasture. No gym membership needed here. Hannah didn't do well at all this morning and I was saddened. She has one back leg that is giving out on her. I think I'm going to have to splint it. I'm using a kids pool noodle, cut and wrapped with ace bandage which seems to give her some support. I got her up at noon again and she literally tried to run across the parlor floor. I had her outside too, anything to strengthen her legs. I took the noodle off and just used the ace wrap and I think it may be enough. Time will tell. Just needs lots of physical therapy.

Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2020 :  10:04:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Update. Hannah is walking and running. Weak legs, but getting stronger everyday. She still has difficulty getting herself up, so needs lifted up and or assisted in getting up. I'm hopeful this will improve with each passing day. Leg stretches every two hours. Appetite remains good. It thrills me to see her turn and try and run. It's a bit awkward but she is enthusiastic.

Edited by - NellieBelle on Oct 20 2020 10:07:45 AM
Go to Top of Page

laurelhaven

11 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2020 :  5:09:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Such great news!! I'm so happy for you! Hannah and Hank how adorable! I'm so glad little Hannah is doing so much better for you.

@laurel_haven_farm
Ohio
Bridget the milk cow
#raiseyourownfood
#beselfsufficient
#farmlifebestlife
Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2020 :  09:11:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning all! Another update. I am happy to report that Hannah is running, playing and getting up on her own. I still believe she has some issues, but I'm hoping in time they will all work out. The weather is wet and cold. We've had snow, and now we are getting much rain. So little Hannah is having to stay indoors yet, but she is getting plenty of exercise. As for Millie and Hank, they appear to be doing fine. We are not milking Millie but she seems to be getting along well and without complications. Hope all is going well for everyone and you are able to enjoy the day.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: