Getting her pregnant
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Topic  

laurelhaven

11 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2020 :  08:22:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well hi everyone!
I thought I might find some advice or tips on here....so Bridget (3 yr. old jersey) has been coming in heat every 21 days this entire summer, she has been Artificially inseminated twice, and been bred with live cover twice this summer and every time she has come up 'open'.
The last time we bred her was with live cover and I know that the bull
'did his job', but still she'll come up not pregnant. So as you can imagine I'm pretty upset with her! Ever since I got her she has been on a best diet possible with alfalfa pellets, non- GMO feed, daily ACV, and weekly garlic and natural herbs and de-wormers. She has been on the pasture the entire summer as well. If anyone has any advice or tips please let me know! I'm getting her checked out with the vet to make sure she's completely healthy. Do I sell her while she's still producing milk, or do I keep her and see what I can do with her? Thanks, Alice.

@laurel_haven_farm
Ohio
Bridget the milk cow
#raiseyourownfood
#beselfsufficient
#farmlifebestlife

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2020 :  09:36:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is a head scratcher. Janet, who has posted here extensively for several years is the most patient breeder I know. Sometimes it takes her 5 to 6 times to get one of her girls pregnant via AI (I don't think she's ever tried live cover, which generally works better than AI).

Having the vet check her over is a good idea. I've done that before. Your vet might suggest the use of hormones prior to AI, something I've resorted to a couple of times (until lately, I've almost always had a resident bull to do the job), but I'm able to track heats very well (sounds like you have a handle on that). I did have one girl long ago that wasn't born here that the vet said "should" get pregnant but I never could get her bred (we put her in our freezer eventually).

Do you know any details about her last birth? Were there complications?

MaryJane Butters, author of Milk Cow Kitchen ~ striving for the stoicism of a cow standing in the rain ~
Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2020 :  08:01:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't have much time to write, but just wanted to pop in and say that there may not be anything wrong with your cow. I've had a couple of times when we had to AI 5 times before it took, but I was going by what my AI guy was telling me. Finally I told him that Nellie doesn't follow the same time period as the other cows. When I got him to come when I thought she was ready, (earlier than AI man wants to come) she took the first time. With Nellie, she needs bred as soon as you see signs of heat. The others are able to wait the 8-18 hour period that my AI guy suggests, but Nellie is different. I've tried to tell him that more than once, but he always puts me off. No more if I have anything to do with it. Many times my AI guy isn't able to come when I suggest and we go ahead when he is available, but it usually doesn't work then. A good exam doesn't do any harm, and you may find something like a cyst or something that is preventing her from getting pregnant. But it could be her heat/breeding time isn't the same as others. The vet did exam on Nellie and all was fine, so timing is the thing with Nell.

To laugh is human but to moo is bovine. Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2020 :  10:00:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nellie had her calf, one week early. Heifer. Named Hannah!

To laugh is human but to moo is bovine. Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

laurelhaven

11 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2020 :  1:53:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for all your advice! I'll probably try a couple more times with AI and MaryJane I will definitely check into using hormones to bring her into a planned heat!
As for details on her last birth they (previous owner) said that she gave birth 4 months early which the calf didn't survive, they claimed it was due to coyotes chasing her in the field, which didn't really make sense.

@laurel_haven_farm
Ohio
Bridget the milk cow
#raiseyourownfood
#beselfsufficient
#farmlifebestlife
Go to Top of Page

Boots&Flipflops

499 Posts
Darla

Posted - Oct 12 2020 :  9:50:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't give up on her just yet. There could be a multitude of reasons she has not taken. Having her checked out is a great first step. Your vet will be able to tell if she has any cysts or abnormalities on her ovaries and such. A CIDR and hormone shot may help.

Secondly, Was the semen used for the AI from the same bull? Has it tested? A quick look under the microscope by your vet, will tell count, mobiltiy and if any of the sperm are irregular in shape and etc.

My new cow (first time heifer) was quite the pill when it came to conceiving. 4 attempts at AI and 2 cycles with live cover before she took. Some cows just have their own darn schedule. Likes humans sometimes. Since calving, the whole south end of the county knows when she is in heat. She has got quite the voice

To Succeed In This Life You Need Three Things: A Backbone, A Wish Bone and a Funny Bone. As quoted by Reba McEntire
Go to Top of Page
  Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: