October
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Topic  

laurelhaven

11 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2020 :  09:06:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone!
So my name is Alice, I bought a jersey cow back in February that is named Bridget she is three years old, and has become my best friend! I've wanted a milk cow ever since I can remember and through 'Milk Cow Kitchen', and advice from Shaye Elliott @the_elliott_home my dream finally came true! Thank you Maryjane for inspiring me more than you'll ever know! I'll look forward to talking with other milkmaids here! God bless, Alice

@laurel_haven_farm
Ohio
Bridget the milk cow
#raiseyourownfood
#beselfsufficient
#farmlifebestlife

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2020 :  12:22:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for supporting my efforts! I'm just so very pleased to hear from you and to know you've found a lovely cow to make your dream come true.

I was just out letting my three girls onto pasture. My newest one, 5 months old, kicked up her heels and went for it with abandon. That just never fails to put a smile on my face.

MaryJane Butters, author of Milk Cow Kitchen ~ striving for the stoicism of a cow standing in the rain ~
Go to Top of Page

Boots&Flipflops

499 Posts
Darla

Posted - Oct 03 2020 :  11:17:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Happy October Everyone.

Welcome to HJO Alice, it is very nice to meet you. Congratulations on you "Jersey Girl" as they are such loves. Hope you enjoy this community MaryJane has built here. I love what she has done. I am not much of a TV watcher, so I spend many evenings going back through posts and topics.

Today was a busy day as I had two giant stacks of hay delivered. Each stack has 88 bales. One is staight alfalfa and the other is a grass hay mix. It is my winter stash. If I didn't get it now, it might not be available. Better safe than sorry.
Also, Lacy Lou, and Peaches had pedicures today. I was unable to get a picture (darn it) as I had set my phone down back on the patio table. Any how, both girls were dream cows for the hoof trimmer.

No cow pictures, but these I took a couple of days ago. How can a weed be so pretty?

Blessings to all for a Wonderful and Healthy month of October.

To Succeed In This Life You Need Three Things: A Backbone, A Wish Bone and a Funny Bone. As quoted by Reba McEntire
Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2020 :  8:11:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I never get tired of sunflowers, especially when they're a surprise. I had a bunch of volunteers throughout my garden this summer that I kept until they got ragged looking. I clipped the heads off and let them fall to the ground for the birds and for seed for next year.

That's what I feed my girls, straight alfalfa bales and grass hay bales.

Miss Daisy was so enthralled with her organic grain pellets tonight, she just would not quit licking her chops long enough to look pretty as a picture.

Meg and I processed that last of our MANY peaches today, both dried and frozen. Tomorrow, we'll tackle plums.

We've having a string of gorgeous sunny days, temps in the high 70s.

Stella made donuts today and Meg cooked a garden dinner, one of Jamie Oliver's "VEG" recipes. Yummers. Zucchini, 'maters, pesto, olives, mozzarella, and rice w/a side of barbecued chickens thighs.

Alice, we'd LOVE some photos of Bridget.

MaryJane Butters, author of Milk Cow Kitchen ~ striving for the stoicism of a cow standing in the rain ~
Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2020 :  03:51:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On Wednesday, Buttercup was artificially inseminated. I'll know if it took in another 22 day, her normal cycle. The woman who performed the AI said the timing seemed perfect, "Her cervix was wide open."

Go to Top of Page
  Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: