Chit Chat and Daily Weather Report
 Goblins and Wands and ....
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Topic  

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2019 :  5:18:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Happy Halloween! With an abundance of pumpkins from our garden, even Jasper got one.

Stella and Mia ready for some tricks and treats.

Complete with glow-in-the-dark matching skeleton earrings.

MaryJane Butters, author of Milk Cow Kitchen ~ striving for the stoicism of a cow standing in the rain ~

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2019 :  12:49:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Creative pumpkin carving! And glow in the dark earrings! I just imagined the girls with Harry Potter theme. Quiet here today. So nice. Carpenter was here on the high roof replacing a couple of shingles that came off during one of our summer storms. It's misting and cool and that makes for slippery shingles, so I was nervous, and thankful when he got back down. Typical autumn day. I had to walk through the accumulating oak leaves and kick them up so I could hear the rustle beneath my feet. Had a couple of snow showers but they didn't last long. Good afternoon for some reading and fire in the stove.

To laugh is human but to moo is bovine. Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2019 :  09:18:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Harry Potter seems to be what they pretend to be on most weekends, so this year the girls decided to invent their own costumes from what they had on hand.

Roof work in the fall seems dicey. But kicking leaves on a pathway, I can do. My favorite path goes under our 100-year-old maple tree on the way to our guest house.

Mia is getting a lesson in running a rented log splitter this morning.

MaryJane Butters, author of Milk Cow Kitchen ~ striving for the stoicism of a cow standing in the rain ~
Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2019 :  3:30:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Weather is perfect for kicking leaves. Meanwhile, our wood shed is filling up.

Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2019 :  5:10:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dang, it's only 5 o'clock but I've had to call it a day outside because it's pitch black. I'm missing that extra hour.

Janet, here are a couple of Harry Potter characters I ran into this morning: wands, capes, and orange hunter vests. They were doing their usual: stalking me. Sometimes I hear them and reverse the surprise and scare the wits out of them. I did that this morning in our food facility because I heard the handle on the door turn, so I crotched down and hid in the dark.

Hope you had a lovely day. I sure did. Lots done outside with the weather so good. Not only did I get clean sheets on our bed today, but the cows did too. I removed all their bedding and then hosed and scrubbed everything down. Nothing like sunshine to disinfect things.

Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2019 :  6:33:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah ha! I knew that Harry Potter characters surely were still working their magic. Always good to keep them on their toes with a little scare now and then. Not caring for the time change, it takes some adjustments for milking. Mornings not so bad but evening milking will be done an hour earlier so that I'm not finishing in the dark. Pleasant day, winterizing roses, taking dogs for walks and enjoying sunshine.

Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2019 :  9:33:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello!

It's been ages since I've actually posted anything but after the pleasure of visiting with MaryJane this morning, she gave me the necessary nudge. So here I am!

It was my dear mother-in-law's birthday today so we celebrated most of the day beginning with a country drive over the ridge to MaryJane's shop. A private shopping expedition for my MIL. She was so thrilled! She bought a few things and then I ended up with the most fun and lovely canvas print of a goat which looks exactly like one of my Guernsey goats!

See what I mean? It will be right at home hanging in one of my guest rooms in my bed and breakfast.

Pumpkins! It's what everyone here is eating breakfast, lunch and dinner! (Not really, but between the cows, alpacas, goats and chicken and ducks lots are getting eaten every single day!)

Janet, how old is Nellie now? I read on another post that she had her fifth bull calf (!) and you mentioned that it might be her last calf? What makes you think that?

Take care all.

Loving life and family on our Idaho farm, Meadowlark Heritage Farm; A few Jersey cows; a few alpacas; a few more goats, and even more ducks and chickens
Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2019 :  07:22:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning! Nice to see you on here again Charlene. Life has a way of keeping us busy and not much time for anything but work. Your Guernsey goat print is darling, and does look like your goat. We are quite cold, an arctic blast with just 11 degrees this morning. Brrrr! Nellie is 7 and nearer to 8. Brought her home in 2012. I said it may be her last calf because we are thinking of easing up or off the milking and raising calves. There is nothing wrong with Nellie and I'm sure she could have more calves, we're just not sure we want to continue. Waiting to see how things go with health issues. Really enjoyed your post, hope to see more of you. Have a fantastic day!

Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2019 :  05:25:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's as if your goat posed for the painting, Charlene. It's a perfect replica. It was lovely to meet your MIL and provide a bit of shopping therapy--perfect for "ladies who lunch." I hope you enjoyed your drive to Deary to dine in the new Pie Safe restaurant; I've heard great things about it. Did you get to taste the famous cheese she makes (and has won a prestigious award for)? I met the matriarch this summer when she came here to buy garlic seed stock from us. They also own and manage a small raw milk dairy in Texas, which is where they're from. Busy people for sure. I hope to venture that way myself soon.

How are the temps Janet? And is Nellie back to her usual self? I'm remembering that when I spent my first Thanksgiving here, I'd invited a bunch of Forest Service friends to spend the weekend to help take down a barn. The temperature dropped to 14 degrees that weekend and it snowed. We had a hard time getting it done but the food and warmth of friendship kept us going.

Charlene, when is your lovely BlueBelle due? It's BlueBelle, right? (I think I've had too many cows pass through my life:) Or maybe AnnaBelle?

Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2019 :  08:58:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Temps have been up and down MaryJane. We had 11 degrees one morning, this morning 33. Yesterday was beautiful with almost 60 degrees. I was checking the cows when I heard chittering, so I went back to the house and got my camera, and followed the chittering noise, I knew to be eagles, and I found them just across the road from our pasture, so I sat and watched them and took photos of course. Evidently feeding on something. Nellie is doing great. Lots of milk and her teat is healing nicely. Still using the stainless steel cannula to drain that quarter but she is putting out a good gallon from it twice a day. Just takes some time. I'll be glad when I can use the milker on it again. Cool weather to return this week but then the weekend following a bit warmer. It's winter, so cold weather is expected.

Edited by - NellieBelle on Nov 10 2019 09:08:13 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: