Emergency! Vet Care
 Injured Teat!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Topic  

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2019 :  12:45:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, the vet has been here and gone. She used a stun drug to keep Nellie standing but fairly still. She decided not to stitch and instead use and then shaking baking powder on the wound. We put a cannula in to drain a gallon of milk and then put in a dose of Today. I will repeat that again in 12 hours or so. I've always worried that this would happen because Nellie's udder is so low. The picture I took of the teat is quite gross. Thankfully the milk canal is in tack and she will probably heal up okay. Or hopeful.

To laugh is human but to moo is bovine. Author Unknown

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2019 :  1:11:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I guess both bad and good news. Bad because teat injuries are so horrendous, but good that the orifice is still intact. When you first posted about her injury I was dreading/picturing Keeley's cow's injury with the bottom half of her teat completely gone.

I can't zoom in on the Underwood Horse Medicine. Any more you can share about what it is? I should have some on hand for Miss Daisy because she's low to the ground also. It's great your vet recommended baking soda. That I have and find useful for many things.

So sorry to hear of Nellie's awful misfortune. All my fingers crossed it heals quickly.

MaryJane Butters, author of Milk Cow Kitchen ~ striving for the stoicism of a cow standing in the rain ~
Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2019 :  1:29:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Underwood Horse Medicine. And it's baking powder, (not baking soda) It even says that on the bottle. You apply or shake the baking powder on after spraying on the Underwood Horse Medicine. Nellie is to stay in the stall because of the dirty, muddy conditions outside. You can find this on Amazon MaryJane. Lot of good feedback. My vet told me to use it on any bad wounds. Amazing stuff, but you have to wash out the nozzle each time with water, caustic I guess.

Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2019 :  1:35:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
https://www.underwoodhorsemedicine.com/

Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2019 :  1:54:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Janet. I called to order some (in conjunction with using baking powder), but they weren't in. I left a message for them to call me back. Keep us in the know, please.

MaryJane Butters, author of Milk Cow Kitchen ~ striving for the stoicism of a cow standing in the rain ~
Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2019 :  1:55:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If I don't hear back, I'll try Amazon.

Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2019 :  10:30:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What a difference a day makes. You can see the improvement from just over night. Compare yesterday with today's photo and it's quite noticeable. and today, Nellie is doing great. The quarter with injured teat is drying up and Ollie is still nursing on the right side. I did get another tube of TODAY in and so now it's just wait and heal. Little chilly here this morning but no snow.

Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2019 :  11:16:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been checking and checking to see if you posted an update. Yay!!! It looks a million times better. I have some Underwood on its way and when I go to town later today, I'm picking up some baking powder for putting in my emergency vet kit. Is it too early to say, "Thank you, Nellie for turning your injury into something educational."

Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2019 :  12:35:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yay is right! I was so heartsick and sorry that she had to have this happen, but we do learn from it, educated, now if it wasn't quite so frequent. Just thankful they are both healing. Darla and Nellie. I'm doing treatments and procedures I never dreamt I'd be doing. We all want the healthiest animals possible.

Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2019 :  1:45:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
compared to today,

Edited by - NellieBelle on Oct 16 2019 1:47:06 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly