Chit Chat and Daily Weather Report
 Last Week in August, 2019
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Topic  

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2019 :  07:26:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yesterday was the first time I really noticed how much shorter the days are getting. I went for a quick late afternoon bike ride,

but then found myself watering flowers after nightfall. I decided I have to allow for shorter days.

A few nights before, Nick and I were trying to get our money's worth out of a Bobcat we'd rented (more water/propane/sewer lines), and again, nightfall caught us off guard.

If I could I'd roll the clock back to July--just not enough days in a summer.

More B&B units getting done, no, more B&B units getting started. I have no idea when we'll get them done now that winter is just around the corner.

I imagine you're noticing or maybe even welcoming the change.

MaryJane Butters, author of Milk Cow Kitchen ~ striving for the stoicism of a cow standing in the rain ~

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2019 :  1:40:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello MaryJane! You're making progress! Looks nice. Yes, we've noticed the days getting shorter too. When we come out of the barn in the evening it's dark. But I do welcome cooler temps. When I take the dogs down our dead end road, it's more pleasurable when the heat isn't bearing down. So there is usually a plus side. Nothing new here. Just trying to get ahead of the weeds which seems impossible sometimes and so I'm learning to embrace them. Especially when I see Goldfinches eating from the seed heads. Beautiful sunrises and sunsets this time of year.

To laugh is human but to moo is bovine. Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2019 :  1:49:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
MaryJane, I thought I would share this so you could read it. Kelly and Kelly Nielsen live one mile south of here. Living on the farm that was my aunt and uncle's. Good story. https://www.farmcollector.com/tractors/1966-farmall-1206-zm0z19septzhur

Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2019 :  06:29:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sweet story, Janet. I love it when old farm implements are saved and restored. Given they live in your aunt and uncle's place, it all seems so full circle. That must put a smile on your face.

Yes, there is a plus side to shorter days, but it's almost too cool here at 55 this morning. Jacket weather.

We all sat around the campfire last night (I cooked salmon foil dinners and Lucas grilled chicken tenderloins and green beans and garlic). The girls had us play a game afterward where we'd go around the circle adding script to a story. It was fun. And wonderfully silly at times.

Buttercup is getting more and more comfortable coming into the milking parlor. She likes to lick and sniff my tool vest that I hang on the door. Yesterday she put two feet inside. I do love the training part of raising a heifer. Everyone of them has been unique. And challenging at times.

I like your approach to weeds. I often say, "I'm putting my weed blinders on." You have to at times, or they'd drive you nuts. They get an A+ grade for persistence.

MaryJane Butters, author of Milk Cow Kitchen ~ striving for the stoicism of a cow standing in the rain ~
Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2019 :  08:09:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We had some mornings in the 50's. This morning was 62 and we have rain (weeds pull up easier after a rain). Your evening sounds delightful. A campfire, good food and family. And Miss Buttercup's milking parlor etiquette 101 is coming along it sounds like. You do get to know them better when working so closely with them. All worth it. Joe and I did some switching around of cows and steers and what have you yesterday. Nellie is off by herself away from the alfalfa bale, and steers moved into more pasture until process time. Estella and Otis are doing great as are their mommas. Enjoy your week!

Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2019 :  3:04:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"If I keep one foot off the ground, does that make me less obvious?"

Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2019 :  6:36:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Of course! A cow with one leg up is invisible. What a hoot! Looks like she wanted to help clean up.

Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2019 :  10:19:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
She SO wants to come inside and snoop. All in good time. I have until next spring to get her comfortable with all of it. Gotta love the way she's stretched to the max without actually stepping in.

Well, today REALLY felt like the end of summer because my grand girls went back to school this morning. In preparation, they spent the day together yesterday running around the farm as if there was no tomorrow.

Adria and Alina:

Mia and Stella:

Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2019 :  12:00:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bittersweet. Summer coming to a close, fresh new school year for the girls. How glorious they could spend time together on the farm before the new school year. Many new exciting things await, and I'm sure you will be hearing about them. I had the plumber back here again. A leak at the shut off in the kitchen milk parlor. I imagine something he wriggled loose the last time he was here working on the faucet handles. Oh well, little water mopped up, no harm done.

Go to Top of Page
  Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: