Welcome Wagon
 Greetings
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Topic  

Charles

3 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2019 :  2:51:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello, figured I’d introduce myself. I’m Charles, I’m from Virginia and I’m farming small scale on the side. Goal is to eventually have a fully operating micro dairy that can support the local community with milk. I also raise meet birds, laying hens, beef, and a small orchard. I was researching traditional sized Jerseys when I came across this organization. Seems to be exactly what I was looking for.

I currently have two Jerseys that I’m starting my dairy herd off with.

Millie 43” 1/4 at the withers

Penny 47” 1/8 at the withers

The hamburger gang, bull calves I buy off local dairies to raise for beef.

I’m hoping to breed penny shortly with AI. My goal is to have a herd with cattle that average around 44”.

All the best.

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2019 :  04:23:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning Charles and welcome! Thank you for sharing a bit about you and your endeavors along with photos of your precious Millie and Penny.

How long have you had your two girls? And how old are they? First-time heifers???

Hopefully, you'll have good luck with AI-ing Penny. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

We're starting to move into our dry season so your lush green grass sure does look nice.

MaryJane Butters, author of Milk Cow Kitchen ~ striving for the stoicism of a cow standing in the rain ~
Go to Top of Page

Charles

3 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2019 :  10:08:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Millie is a 19 month old heifer and penny is going on 3 years and has had one calf, I dried her off this spring. It’s definitely been a good year so far, not too little or too much rain. I’m new to AI so it will be a learning experience. Do you have any suggestions on where to buy seamen straws? I’m hoping to find genetics from smaller bull. Like I previously said. I want my herd to be on average mid 40”s

I’m also building a small dairy barn that will have milking Parlor, milk room, wash room, and hay mow. The goal will be to have it meet grade a standards even if I sell raw milk. As this project progresses I can put up pictures and plans for others that might be interested. So far I’ve dug and poured my foundations.

Hope you get some rain in you’re near future.

Cheers.
Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2019 :  06:05:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Presently, I don't know of anyone offering semen that I can recommend. Let me nose around and see what's out there. We offered semen for sale (bull named Samson) but sold out. I have a resident bull that I used last month to get three of my girls pregnant. Handy guy to have around.

I have milk customers that come to our little farm store on a set day every week to pick up their allotment (I'm part of Idaho's raw milk program). I truly love providing milk to families--you are smart to have it as a long-term goal and plan around it, getting your parlor built first, etc.

Yes!!! We would love photos of your progress. Such a joy!

MaryJane Butters, author of Milk Cow Kitchen ~ striving for the stoicism of a cow standing in the rain ~
Go to Top of Page
  Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: