Meat and Butchering
 Butchering at home
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Topic  

farmer Liz

36 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2014 :  01:10:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone, we recently had a steer killed and butchered by an excellent mobile butcher. This is our fifth, so we are getting good at packing the meat. This time 290 kg (about 140 pounds??). I wrote a few blog posts about it, so homekill is an option for you, I thought you might like to know more:

http://eight-acres.blogspot.com.au/2014/09/getting-best-from-homekill-meat.html

Does anyone else do homekill?

http://eight-acres.blogspot.com.au/

Self-sufficiency and Permaculture in Rural Australia

Ron

4666 Posts
Ronnie
Peever SD
USA

Posted - Oct 15 2014 :  04:20:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Liz, currently poultry only.

With a moo moo here and a moo moo there, here a moo, there a moo, everywhere a moo moo.
Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2014 :  04:48:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm sure it works well for others. It's all I can do to load them up in the trailer to be taken to the butcher. I have to talk to them and tell them how wonderful they've been and how much I appreciate what they are doing. It's a heart sad deal for me. Tears rolling down my cheeks and so sad I can't choke words out. That's why I would like heifers, because I fall in love with my animals and it hurts to the core to have to part with them. I couldn't do the homekill, but I say each his own.
Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2014 :  05:42:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Janet, I know when you handed Jasper Tomkins over to me the tears were rolling down your cheeks. Somehow marrying passion and practicality is a necessity if you're going to raise farm animals. That doesn't make it any easier.

I do however appreciate it that "death with dignity" when a beloved animal ages or is terminally sick isn't looked down upon in the animal world like it is in the human world.

MaryJane Butters, author of Milk Cow Kitchen ~ striving for the stoicism of a cow standing in the rain ~
Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2014 :  07:35:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know it is MaryJane. It should be so with farm animals. And I tell myself all along that I have to be practical and realistic, but just like the "worrying" thing, I have this "loving" thing that just can't be put on a shelf. I do the best I can. I've dealt with many losses like I'm sure the rest of you have, never gets any easier when it's time to go to butcher or euthanize. Just is what it is. Grieving is normal process they say. Yes, death with dignity for animals, and humans. In a perfect world.
Go to Top of Page
  Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: