Chit Chat and Daily Weather Report
 Spring!!!! week of March 18, 2019
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Topic  

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2019 :  1:20:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's finally here, warmth and sunshine ... and snow melt--a gentle, slow snow melt, just the way we like it.

While I was milking this morning, Stella and "Pa" loaded Maybelle into our trailer. She walked right in, having never set foot in a trailer before. Maybelle is on her way to meet up with her old buddies, M'lady, Sophie, and Ester Lily, who live in Montana.

I fussed over all her paperwork, thought of every little detail, and then ...

... we locked her into the front bay, turned on the camera so Nick can check on her en route, and that's the moment my heart leaped out of my chest because she moo-ed, just once. I don't think I've ever heard her moo.

She's leaving all she's ever known.

I gave her a bath yesterday and noted that her udder was starting to swell (she's due April 12).

I think even Mr. Jasper was having second thoughts.

MaryJane Butters, author of Milk Cow Kitchen ~ striving for the stoicism of a cow standing in the rain ~

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2019 :  7:12:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Safe and sound in Montana:

Meanwhile back at the farm, my one black chicken is filling in for Maybelle.

MaryJane Butters, author of Milk Cow Kitchen ~ striving for the stoicism of a cow standing in the rain ~
Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2019 :  03:23:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry to see Maybelle leave, but she's going to be with familiar family of her own and family who love her. That means a lot. Pulls at the heartstrings. I'm sure she will feel welcome meeting up with the other gals. And your little black hen, how sweet. It's been non stop activity here and if I had to describe it, it would be like a relay race. I do one thing and instead of handing over the baton (jobs) the next runner, I take it, and on to the next job and run again, again, and it doesn't look like much let up anytime soon. Enjoying the warmer weather and sunshine and the work that goes with it.

To laugh is human but to moo is bovine. Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page
  Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: