Chit Chat and Daily Weather Report
 wintery week of March 11, 2019
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Topic  

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2019 :  01:23:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As I write this, the wind is howling and the snow continues to get deeper. Janet, I read there's a nasty storm with high winds headed your way. So much for "spring" calves. Unless next week warms up dramatically to melt some of our snow, I better come up with a plan for "winter" calves.

My little vintage Shasta looked cold and lonely today.

MaryJane Butters, author of Milk Cow Kitchen ~ striving for the stoicism of a cow standing in the rain ~

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2019 :  07:46:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
While sitting with my tea this morning, a little Christmas jingle grabbed me:

Jolly old ridiculous, let me grab your ear
Spring had better be, getting pretty near
I am out of patience, let me tell you why
Snow, cold, ice and calves due soon, top my list of sighs

(FYI: Didn't get an entire night's sleep).

Second cup of tea? Definitely. Maybe a third.

MaryJane Butters, author of Milk Cow Kitchen ~ striving for the stoicism of a cow standing in the rain ~
Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2019 :  1:44:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The woman who bought M'lady, Sophie, and Ester Lily sent me a photo of her new feeder this morning. Inspired by mine when she was here staying in my B&B last summer, she took hers one step further. I love it, built right into the side of her barn. She said the opening could have been slightly taller because it's rubbing the hair off their backs. Anyway, an ad for these blueprints could say, "Feed from the comfort of your barn."

Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2019 :  10:32:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
More helpers in the milking parlor today.

Go to Top of Page

txbikergirl

3197 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2019 :  08:50:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
good morning ladies! i hope you have a bit of a reprieve from all that snow. We got another "cold spell" here, it was 40 last night ;> i would welcome some cooler weather, though have to admit i wouldn't quite appreciate all that snow.

cute pics of the girls mj, i love all the modern t-shirts as my girls are always wearing something positive like "girl power", or "anything is possible", "kindness matters" or a million other sweet/fun sayings.

we have the middle child off for a day with granny and gramps today, and i'll be out the door with the other two shortly to see lover boy's great aunt freddie and help her with her computer. i taught her how to use a spreadsheet at 85 to do her checkbook and she is still going strong at 90! once a year i go over and roll last years s/sheet to this year, so the girls will go with me and play outside with her dog.

lover boy is getting a delivery of construction materials today, they are starting on his shop this week. finally, it has been years in the making. he is ecstatic. he especially needs a man cave now with all the estrogen in the house.

i have the vet coming to place CIDRs in all the cows tomorrow. semen from covington arrived yesterday so we are good to AI in another week. keep your fingers crossed or me ;>

take care ladies, enjoy your weekend.

Firefly Hollow Farm , our little farmstead. Farmgirl living in the green piney woods of East Texas on 23 acres with a few jerseys, too many chickens, a pair of pugs and my Texan hubby (aka "lover boy")
Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2019 :  12:51:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fingers crossed for pregnancies, Cindy. And happy to hear Patrick is finally getting his shop. That "breaking ground" feeling is a moment worth waiting for. Always good to get Thompson family updates!

Go to Top of Page
  Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: