Chit Chat and Daily Weather Report
 Daisy is getting close
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Topic  

hugho

34 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2019 :  12:34:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
our 2 yr old Jersey Daisy is about a month out from delivering. Massive snow year here in NW Wyoming with 5-6 feet still on the ground. Any ideas on preparing Daisy for the big day? We feed her our own grass hay and purchased alfalfa as hay and also some chaffhaye and modestomilling pellets, some kelp meal and salt. She sometimes is awfully frisky but is a sweeheart and a lick machine. Do you guys check for presentation.?? I am a retired doc and have done my share of deliveries but we rarely checked women near the end by palpation. Now of course everything is ultrasound. I also raise sheep and am confortable with delivering my ewes who sometimes need a little help. Hi to MJ!!!

Daisy, our Jersey
Kunekune pigs
St Croix Sheep
Free range chickens, Icelandics,Buffs, Khaki Cambell ducks, arucanas,buckeyes and Golden Comet Sexlinks

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2019 :  7:16:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was wondering about you and your Daisy the other day. Good to have you check in. As far as preg check-ups go, I watch the calendar and then their back end. Once things get swollen and jiggly and the tail seems to almost disconnect at its base, I sense they're getting close. When they're really close, they get fidgety and some of my girls back into the wall (probably trying stop the pain). Delivery happens fast once it all starts to really happen. You can glove up and go in to feel for two hooves if you're worried about presentation. I've only done that once. You might like our Lacy Lou's c-section photos. The calf was presented correctly but too big for a vaginal delivery.

https://heritagejersey.org/chatroom/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=18679

MaryJane Butters, author of Milk Cow Kitchen ~ striving for the stoicism of a cow standing in the rain ~
Go to Top of Page

hugho

34 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2019 :  09:02:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi MJ. Gland to hear from you again. First pics I have seen for a C/S on a cow girl. Looks like they did it under local? Reminds me of a c/s we did on a gurney in the early 70's in the bavarian alps in a health clinic(no nearby hospitals) during a blizzard that closed the town and hwys and air ambulance. I helped my buddy who had done a few C/s but it was under local and really terrifying to a neophyte doc like me. There was a lot of screaming and blood but we saved mom and child. we didn't do it standing up! did you get any snow this winter? hugh

Daisy, our Jersey
Kunekune pigs
St Croix Sheep
Free range chickens, Icelandics,Buffs, Khaki Cambell ducks, arucanas,buckeyes and Golden Comet Sexlinks
Go to Top of Page
  Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: