Chit Chat and Daily Weather Report
 March 2019 - Happy almost Spring!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Topic  

txbikergirl

3197 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2019 :  07:07:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning ladies! It has been awhile for me, so Happy New Year and all of that as well.

I enjoyed catching up on your photos this morning. Quite a bit of snow for y'all up the northern way.

I have the vet coming today to confirm Bea's pregnancy prior to drying her off. She is just 7-8 weeks out from calving, if in fact she is pregnant. We have had such a hard time keeping up with getting the vet out here to AI, etc., so our calving program is taking another hard hit this year ;> if we got lucky, both Bea and Tiggy took when he AI'd them this summer... we'll get the verdict today.

We still have Sally O'Mally and Elsa around. Still not pregnant, but they are such sweet girls and seem like fixtures on the farm so we just don't feel compelled to make any movement in that direction yet. Perhaps when life settles some day.

The girls are doing great. Youngest turned 8 last week, middle turns 10 mid-MArch, and the eldest will be 13 this summer - 13!

Maryjane, i meant to post a million times about the Wolverine article from one of your winter 2018 issues. IT was the first time i got to sit down and read a magazing cover to tail in over a year, and wouldn't you know that wolverine article was very timely for me. I was laughing all over the place. Our eldest is a Wolverine, the hormones are present and it is up and down around here.

Our first year was rather low-key and spent "cacooning" with the girls to bond, figure it all out, etc. So we didn't take them everywhere and didn't introduce them to everyone. This second year is focused on "normalcy", so introducing church, doing more in the community, meeting more family, a bit of travel. The normalcy is especially important for the eldest as we are trying to overcome her extreme shyness, and her PTSD reactions to certain situations... in the process she has made a wonderful friend, and that friend's caretaker is her aunt who is a lovely retired woman... so this is helping with both normalcy as we let her experience some friend time on day play dates, and also given her a reason to be less of a wolverine so she can do more mature things without her sisters ;>

Lover Boy and i have been sick nonstop for a month. He got real bad this last week, a 101-102 fever every day this week. We have antibiotics, been to the dr, etc but its just a real bad area for the flu and such this year so guess we got our dose of it. We both got flu shots, so you wonder how bad it could be if you hadn't. I haven't been as bad, just lethargic as it seems to drag on and on much more than any other cold i have ever had.

I hope everyone is doing well. I miss y'all and think of you often. I wish i had the energy to chime in several times a week, but i tend to crash at night and so spend my last waking moments in the tub with a book and some milk ;>

Take care ladies, blessings from Texas.

Firefly Hollow Farm , our little farmstead. Farmgirl living in the green piney woods of East Texas on 23 acres with a few jerseys, too many chickens, a pair of pugs and my Texan hubby (aka "lover boy")

txbikergirl

3197 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2019 :  07:11:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
we were out to CA in mid-January so Lover Boy's dad could meet the girls. He has stage 4 bladder cancer and hadn't met them yet. He has a ranch in central California, this is his last horse on the ranch as he can't care for them any more.

Firefly Hollow Farm , our little farmstead. Farmgirl living in the green piney woods of East Texas on 23 acres with a few jerseys, too many chickens, a pair of pugs and my Texan hubby (aka "lover boy")
Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2019 :  08:07:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Happy March 1, Cindy! For sure, Melyssa's wolverine piece was a hoot. Meg has been rolling her eyes lately when she references Stella's tween moods. Choppy waters, those teenage years.

So sorry to hear you've been sick. That can make things seem almost impossible at times. Wishing you wellness real soon! And an easy transition for Patrick's papa. It's wonderful that he got to meet the girls and share his life's passion, horses.

Nothing like girls and critters to make a heart go pitter patter. Here's a lovely email I got yesterday from one of our bloggers:

"We had a Momma cow have twin bull calves last week and she decided she only wanted one of them. So we brought the little abandoned one up to the barn near the house and have been bottle feeding him. Of course my little grand-girls are up here every afternoon to take him for his walk and teach him to lead. On Monday afternoon we had one of those rare, sunny February days and Jillian was out with little Buddy and after about an hour I hadn't seen her so I thought I'd go make sure she was doing okay. I found her and Buddy sound asleep on the warm grassy hilltop!!! I was able to snap this sweet picture."

And this one of Mia (about to nod off):

MaryJane Butters, author of Milk Cow Kitchen ~ striving for the stoicism of a cow standing in the rain ~
Go to Top of Page

txbikergirl

3197 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2019 :  09:08:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks for the adorable photos maryjane, just precious. and thanks for the kind sentiments as well.

well.... no pregnant cows. its our own fault, we didn't test after the AI or anything as we were just going gangbusters with the adoption prep and all last summer. i was hoping at least one of the two would take, and Bea has AI'd so easily before i suppose i just took for granted it was in the works.

after all i said earlier, i think i am going to talk to lover boy about sending sally to the freezer, AI'ing all the other four in two weeks, and then getting back on a breeding calendar.

i am also thinking of delegating the breeding calendar to one of the girls. i think the middle might be up for it, she has challenges but he math and thought process might work with her. of course, that would offend the eldest who is "in charge" of the cows so i am going to have to think about this. but i need to delegate this and harness the mind power in the house, i just can't do it all ;> and it would be a natural progression as we have moved more and more chores and responsibilities to them and they are doing just great with it.

i'll chat with lover boy tonight and make some decisions. right now i need to go buy some semen ;>

Edited by - txbikergirl on Mar 01 2019 09:09:22 AM
Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2019 :  3:38:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tough decision. Good luck and happy semen hunting.

One of the tasks assigned to Stella and Mia is the scrubbing of our stairs (they see a lot of traffic). Whenever they're hard at it, I have to slip my shoes off and walk up or down in my stocking feet so I don't leave tracks on their wet steps. Anyway, the last time they were scrubbing, I made a comment about our "Cinderellas" and they both got a funny look on their faces and asked, "How did you know that's what we were pretending?"

MaryJane Butters, author of Milk Cow Kitchen ~ striving for the stoicism of a cow standing in the rain ~
Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2019 :  3:39:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Happy Saturday all,

It was good reading some posts from you, Cindy!

C-c-c-c-cold temps are headed our way for the next day or so (factoring in the wind chill factor and it could be miserable) but the sun is shining today and it is beautiful out here. I have a goat who is due tomorrow but normally my goats run 3-4 days late so today we set up the birthing pen in the little barn with the kid box set up in my mud room as I bottle feed all the goat babies.

Both Betsy and Clover did well milking today (it is fun to watch their own little routines that they've created themselves when I go down to the barn to milk - Clover "dances" over to the gate to be let in!) ... Clover has increased her milk production after I acted on MaryJane's suggestion of more alfalfa hay and pellets. Betsy has stayed the same. I've decided to wait on trying again with the AI as any successful breeding now would result in calving in January. Not fun for anyone.

I'm looking forward to getting more pens made in the bigger barn as we are running out of room in the smaller barn. I'm wondering if the cows will like new neighbors across the barn aisle. I'm thinking they really won't mind in the least as they are pretty laid back these days.

Off to start barn chores ... so grateful for longer days, in spite of the huge mountains of snow all piled up all over!

Loving life and family on our Idaho farm, Meadowlark Heritage Farm; A few Jersey cows; a few alpacas; a few more goats, and even more ducks and chickens
Go to Top of Page

txbikergirl

3197 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2019 :  5:30:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i am staying with the covington semen as i like the cows we have gotten from that. we did use comet semen and we are adding zorro semen into the mix. i think janet was using covington semen as well.

maryjane and janet, did you both end up keeping your covington cows you got last spring? i remember there was some milk fever or ketosis issues with them, just wondering how it all worked out with y'all.

looks like lover boys fever is abating, just had 99.7 today so glad to see it down after a week. we had a nice day today, had youngest out for the day with my parents and eldest out with her BFF and her auntie, so lover boy and i were home with middle all day and it was relaxing.

hi charlene, glad things are going great for you.

two little cinderellas working their little hearts out! i have to admit one of the things i love to do is sit and listen to the girls while they play, all their little ideas are so precious and it always amazes me how their little minds work.

Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2019 :  08:37:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning Cindy. Happy to hear Patrick may be on the mend.

Both M'lady (and daughter Sophie) and Anna went to new homes, pregnant from Ian, but I have Anna's daughter here (Maybelle) and her father is Zorro (Covington semen). She's a lovely heifer due to deliver April 12.

Yes, I agree. Listening to their pretend play is amazing. Our little Stella does it all by herself as she walks around outside and I do love to eavesdrop. That child is destined to be an actress, or maybe a stand-up comedian. Her sense of humor is getting more and more clever. Nick and I fixed a b-day dinner for Mia last night (board games afterward). At one point Stella was getting overly dramatic as we sat around the table. She stopped; looked at her mother who was sitting there expressionless and said, “Mommy pie, how about you stop being so dramatic?”

Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2019 :  10:41:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good afternoon. Enjoying all the updates and photos. So much happening here that I don't have time for much. Progress continues in the attic, and I'm working in the basement. Electrician was here Thurs. and Friday putting in electrical outlets, about every 4 foot for my grow lights, for three walls. To answer your question Cindy, yes, I have Darla, a cow I bought from Tim. She's not had any issues at all, other than the udder injury. She is a dear. Nellie is the cow that had issues with a bout of milk fever. Darla's calf Millie is due with calf in May. I believe Darla in June and Nellie is a mystery. I have Several semen straws of Zorro, Comet, Case, Belles King, from Tim and a couple straws of Samson semen. Everything plants and seedlings is going on here. Anything to keep me from thinking about the windchill warnings and winter weather. Better health to you Cindy, and Lover boy. May you all have a grand day!

To laugh is human but to moo is bovine. Author Unknown

Edited by - NellieBelle on Mar 03 2019 10:46:09 AM
Go to Top of Page

txbikergirl

3197 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2019 :  5:35:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good evening y'all. Semen is on its way (Comet and Zorro), got vet scheduled for 3/18 for CIDR and 3/27 for AI, and just checked Twinkle's heat calendar and it should actually coincide with the AI so i am feeling better about it...

Eldest has quarterly summative testing this week. Due to her stress/anxiety/PTSD the school has worked out that we are stretching it over 4 days (Mon through Thurs) instead of two days (all day Wed and thurs). Hoping this alleviates a bit of the stress as she can take her time, all day if needed. Add that to PMS in a Wolverine and this week should be interesting!

MaryJane, our middle child sounds a bit like Stella. Very melodramatic, talks to herself all the time, very vocal, etc. Melodramatic is a common word around here with all three, but especially her ;>

Take care, good evening y'all

Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2019 :  10:35:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Speaking of Stella, she's also become an expert milker.

What's better than milk and honey? A grand girl that loves to milk a cow.

Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2019 :  1:03:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Stella has the magic touch. Miss Daisy gave half cream today.

Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2019 :  11:20:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Today was another snow day (actually a snow drift and ice day) so all four grand girls were here to help me milk this morning. Actually, I should say they were here to DO the milking with Stella taking on the roll of instructor because she's the one that milked with me most recently. I took a few photos and videos but pretty much I stayed out of their way. They nailed it!!! Miss Daisy didn't mind one bit--what a special cow she is!

Stella teaching the fine art of gel checking.

Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2019 :  08:01:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Expert milker and instructor. Good morning! Really enjoyed reading and seeing photos and video of the milkmaids. You have to had a smile on your face the entire time. What a joy. No milking here. I dried Darla up on the 22nd of Feb. I made myself a cup of coffee and tried cream from a nearby dairy, and I couldn't drink it. It was that different and it didn't taste good. So lemon water will have to be my drink until the girls get back in milk mode. Painting in the basement and doing some concrete sealing etc. Work never ends. If it's not one thing needing done it's another. But spring is closer and things are going to get wild.

Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2019 :  12:58:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And Darla (you think) is due??????? How about her sweet little heifer, Millie? If you've said it before, I'll write it down this time. Aside from not having cream you can drink, it sounds like you have plenty of projects to fill in the gap.

This morning I started to worry in earnest about all the snow we still have (mounds and mounds) and trails so deep the cows can't even step off onto the sides without getting stuck and I have calves coming before long, April 7 for starters. Sort of funny that next week the kids are out of school for spring break. Stella was in the parlor with me this morning and said, "It feels more like a third week added to Christmas break."

Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2019 :  2:37:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good afternoon. Little Miss Millie is due May 18th, and Darla is due June 12th, and I haven't decided if Nellie's first, second, third, fourth or her fifth AI took. I'm guessing either her first or last. If the weather straighten's up, I will have the vet come check Nellie out. But right now the weather is so nasty I wouldn't call anyone out unless it was an emergency. Have three more grow lights up in basement and I should be able to get down to business again now. So gaining. Cut spinach and put in the freezer. Peas are filling out and little melons setting on. Lupine seedlings are growing and my Mango tree is full of blossoms. Loving this. Now a little talk with Mr. Sun and things will get crazy.

Go to Top of Page

Sydney2015

1156 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2019 :  11:59:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello ladies! Glad to see everyone is doing well! We had our first calf of the year last night! A little Hereford Heifer named Gertie! I’m going to show her this year in 4-H! She is very cute. I’ll be drying up AppleButter soon, she’s due June 1st, she’s bred to a Dexter, so I’m really excited to see the calf! It’s been snowy, cold, and miserable here most of the winter! But this morning it sure was pretty!

A good laugh overcomes more difficulties and dissipates more dark clouds than any other one thing - Laura Ingalls Wilder

I live on a small farm of seventy acres called Green Forest Farm, with 10 horses, a donkey, 5 beef cows, 2 beef heifers, 3 Hereford heifers, around 60 chickens, 8 dogs, my amazing cow, AppleButter, and her little Jersey calf HoneyButter!
Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2019 :  7:19:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your little Gertie will be perfect for 4-H. I was just thinking back to when you were dreamy-eyed about having your own milk cow and now here you are, a seasoned milk maid awaiting your next calf and more milk. Congrats Sydney!

Go to Top of Page

Sydney2015

1156 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2019 :  4:58:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you so much MaryJane! Getting AppleButter was a dream come true for me! Getting to finally milk her was another!! I couldn’t have done it without the help of you and all the wonderful people who helped me- both here and in person!!

A good laugh overcomes more difficulties and dissipates more dark clouds than any other one thing - Laura Ingalls Wilder

I live on a small farm of seventy acres called Green Forest Farm, with 10 horses, a donkey, 5 beef cows, 2 beef heifers, 3 Hereford heifers, around 60 chickens, 8 dogs, my amazing cow, AppleButter, and her little Jersey calf HoneyButter!
Go to Top of Page
  Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: