Chit Chat and Daily Weather Report
 week of January 14, 2019
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Topic  

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2019 :  07:22:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's foggy and dreary here this morning, kind of a mid-January blah day. Plus it's Monday. Another week, another list of things to do, both business and farm. But I always have my cows to center and "keep" me.

After a couple games of CLUE yesterday, we took photos of the kids "blankies." That includes my own daughter's blankie (she referred to it as a "fanga" when she was learning how to talk and toddle). Anyway, Meggie still sleeps with hers. It's a quilt my mother hand-stitched for her. But most of the stitching has disintegrated.

As pieces of it fall out, she puts them in a bag. She calls her blankie "well-loved," not well-worn. Wouldn't it put a smile on my mother's face?

Here's Mia's. She's been needing a bag herself.

And Stella's.

Since you're a quilter, Janet, I thought you'd appreciate just how much someone can love (and rub) a quilt. All three of the girls gently rub a spot on their quilt when they're reading, traveling, or watching a movie. When I took the girls to the Mary Poppins movie recently, Mia brought hers.

No doubt they have other quilts that adorn their lives, but the "special ones" that were imprinted on their hearts, are, ummmm, well-loved indeed.

MaryJane Butters, author of Milk Cow Kitchen ~ striving for the stoicism of a cow standing in the rain ~

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2019 :  08:47:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good Morning! Flurries this morning, 22 degrees. I'm hoping I don't have to cancel my appt. again. I do understand the TLC (Tender Loving Comfort) of a favorite blanket/quilt. My favorite quilt is one my great grandmother made, she was all but blind. Her stitches were large and askew, but she did an amazing job for someone who couldn't see, and was deaf also. Treasured and loved, with great memories sewn in place.

To laugh is human but to moo is bovine. Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2019 :  07:16:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What a precious quilt for you to have and cherish. It's not only the love and each stitch, it's the fabrics from back then that grab me. I'm really drawn to the older designs and colors.

I think I've picked up another home delivery milk customer. I'm going to drop a sample off tomorrow. My minimum is 2 gallons/week.

I made a white bean soup with small chunks of butternut and some spinach last night. I also made some of our buttermilk biscuits. The girls gobbled them up. At the rate they're growing, they need carbs. And they continue to request honey butter.

Cydnie and I will be working on our website rebuild again today. How about your day ahead? Yesterday didn't stay foggy and dreary here. The sun popped out and stayed out. Looks like another sunny day today. Gorgeous.

MaryJane Butters, author of Milk Cow Kitchen ~ striving for the stoicism of a cow standing in the rain ~
Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2019 :  08:00:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning! Congrats on your new milk customer. I can't call our folks customers, as we give the raw milk away, but they both take two gallons a week, so that's 4 gallons, and Joe and I still have plenty for ourselves, the cats, chickens, plants. Nice to have. Your bean soup sounds good. And biscuits with honey butter, I could make a meal on those alone. Dreary here. Fog and it's to drop to single digits this weekend, which I'm not looking forward to, but hopefully it won't last. Mr. Sun is always welcome here. I ordered my roses for this year. Now I need to pick out some perennials to add to them. So my day will be enjoyable and filled with thoughts of spring planting. Need to work on basement walls in orchid room, but that will have to be another day.

Edited by - NellieBelle on Jan 15 2019 08:01:04 AM
Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2019 :  5:25:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the reminder Janet. It is that time of year again. I need to decide if I'm buying more bees, roses, etc. and dreaming through my seed catalogs.

I've developed a super efficient system for cleaning my parlor after milking, everything from getting ready for the next day to mopping the floor to dishes.

I timed myself this morning. From this stage, right after I let the last cow out

to this stage where I'm washing dishes

I'm at 20 minutes. And mucking was exactly one hour and 1 minute. Tomorrow I'll time myself for milking both girls that would include grooming and cleaning them beforehand.

Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2019 :  03:25:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning! Yes, roses, honey bees, and some perennials have been ordered. I'm still looking at more perennials and deciding which ones I want. Your efficient system for your parlor sounds like it's working out. I know it takes me roughly one and half hours before I return to the house from the time I enter the parlor, some days more. We are in a winter storm warning I guess. Going to get snow dumped on us and cold temperatures. I've got plenty of wood inside and bean/ham soup and cornbread on the ready. So now we will wait and see what we get. Monday's temps are suppose to be back up in the twenties so won't be so bad.

Go to Top of Page
  Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: