Chit Chat and Daily Weather Report
 Week of November 26
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Topic  

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2018 :  06:16:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Onward to December. Brian and Ashley cut a Christmas tree this weekend. I've always thought that this week after Thanksgiving feels like December and now that we have snow (and red poinsettias) I'm looking forward to December festivities.

Lucas and Nick cut/trimmed/pulled plum trees yesterday so we had a large bonfire last night.

Sorry to hear about Rogan, Janet. 15 years is a good long life. Sure hope you get Nellie figured out. She just HAS to give you a girl at some point it seems. I will check out Brown Turkey figs for next year. It's on my list. I eat a few figs everyday, along with a handful of hazelnuts.

This week is magazine deadline week, so it's going to be a 3M week for me: milking, mucking, magazining.

MaryJane Butters, author of Milk Cow Kitchen ~ striving for the stoicism of a cow standing in the rain ~

Boots&Flipflops

499 Posts
Darla

Posted - Nov 26 2018 :  10:45:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good Monday To All!

I as well and so sorry to hear of your dogs passing Janet. It is so hard. We have an old gal that is 15 this year. Tahoe is her name and she is just plugging along. Some days she acts like a spunky pup, and other days not so much. I dread thinking about it.

Everyone is quite busy even though winter is setting in. We had a good storm come through and give us some much needed rain. The weather station said
3/4's of an inch total. My rain gauge filled up to 2 inches. By the puddles, ponds and mud around here I think mine was more accurate!! More is on the way this week.

I had to run to the market yesterday and what a shock. It looked like Thanksgiving Eve!!! The parking lot was packed as well as the store. My conclusion was that everyone cleaned out the refrigerator for holiday food and they were tired of leftovers.

For those of you interested in Heirloom seeds, this video below is amazing. I am not much for TV, so I youtube in the evenings. I found this 30 something gal that is homesteading and she is just a doll. She has her ups and downs, trial and error and is not to proud to admit it. She does lots of trellises and raised beds. If you have 15 minutes to watch this one it is so amazing. I too have never seen so many seeds. The part about their birth certificate is cute.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyPC0dJKaKg

At the end, I did order their catalog. Oh boy, do I have a lot of work in the makings

Blessings to all for a Wonderful Day and Week ahead

To Succeed In This Life You Need Three Things: A Backbone, A Wish Bone and a Funny Bone. As quoted by Reba McEntire
Go to Top of Page

Boots&Flipflops

499 Posts
Darla

Posted - Nov 26 2018 :  1:38:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So am I sitting around net surfing? Yes, in between loads of laundry.

I was looking at organic soil/fertilizer/compost and etc when I found this company. How can I be reading about compost and getting choked up and teary eyed in the end, well read this page from top to bottom without skipping down and tell me if you were able to not get a tad bit emotional. If you love cows and animals, I doubt you can!!! I am glad no one else was around

https://malibucompost.com/about/

To Succeed In This Life You Need Three Things: A Backbone, A Wish Bone and a Funny Bone. As quoted by Reba McEntire
Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2018 :  3:43:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good evening Darla. Thanks for sharing the youtube video. I order from Baker Creek Heirloom because of their heirloom selection. I ordered strawberry plants from them last year, and they were beautiful and produced strawberries. I will check on your other link after supper. Thanks Darla, have a lovely evening.

To laugh is human but to moo is bovine. Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2018 :  06:06:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh my, the Bu Team and Bu (and Bu-Bu and Honey Bu). What's not to love?! Thanks Darla. Good people are pocketed away everywhere it seems. You just have to look ... on YouTube:)

I'm very familiar with Baker Creek since I've ordered my seeds from them for many years. I think you'll enjoy their catalog. The video was awesome.

As I was parallel parking in town yesterday, I pulled in behind a bumper sticker that made me laugh out loud (and with one woo-hoo arm in the air none-the-less).

Truth be known, my goal is three a day. Four is a very good day:) I watched a PBS special recently about the two brothers who created Kellogg breakfast cereals way back when. One of brothers was a medical doctor who was endlessly shocked by the number of people who were constipated, along with all its toxic complications, so he invented a breakfast cereal with roughage and opened a sanatorium to address gut issues, encouraging people to exercise, eat fruits and veggies daily, etc. The diet of the day was mostly cooked fats and carbs back then and people were stopped up.

Have you woo-hooed today? My daughter often comments about "hers" and consequently so do her daughters. (Ha, no second dates for them.) Now where do I find them that bumper sticker?!

MaryJane Butters, author of Milk Cow Kitchen ~ striving for the stoicism of a cow standing in the rain ~
Go to Top of Page

Boots&Flipflops

499 Posts
Darla

Posted - Nov 27 2018 :  07:52:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good Morning all,

Busy day ahead, taking Mom's care in to the shop for new struts and post-op for Austin.

Glad to know about Baker's seeds and that you have been happy with them. I have my wish list going. Next September "I am going" to Sonoma for the National Heirloom Seed Expo. Sound like a blast.

MaryJane, check out this link. This company has shirts, stickers, mugs and etc for just about anything you can think of. All I did was type in "I Pooped!!"
You are too funny. LOL
https://www.cafepress.com/+i-pooped-today-and-i-feel-fantastic+gifts

May you all have a Moooovement Day

Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2018 :  05:17:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Who wuddda thunk to search for "I pooped." Like your mother once said, "Good job, Darla!" Apparently, it's a movement:)

The first few bottles of Maggie's milk comes like a waterfall. Then it stops on a dime, so I move to her front two teats until they stop, then back to the back two teats. Sure do appreciate her tall legs.

The girls have started to decorate for Christmas. Adorable and quite elaborate.

Wishing you a grand day (and cream in your coffee).

Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2018 :  05:08:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Meg and I were remembering "Shredded Wheat" during our I Pooped conversations. Those great big "bars" of 100% just-wheat were my breakfast treat when I stayed with my grammy. She'd put one in a bowl and I'd pour whole milk on it and try to eat it up before it got too soggy. I remember how great the leftover milk tasted when I lifted the bowl up and drank it with all those little bits of toasted wheat in it. No sugar on them, maybe some fresh fruit. Grammy said they kept her regular.

Look what I found on my stoop--Meg picked some up to try on the girls and gifted me a pack of 3 bars. I ran for some milk.

Curious about how they're made, I found a video that showed the machinery that first cooks/drains/dries the wheat, then slices it ever so thin. Conveyor belts continue to go beneath the slicers until layer upon layer forms a biscuit. Just wheat. That's all.

It's raining here but yesterday was sunny and lovely.

Go to Top of Page
  Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: