Chit Chat and Daily Weather Report
 Week of November 19
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Topic  

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2018 :  06:24:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It seems that with the start of this week, the holidays are upon us. Well, at least my poinsettias think so. They're getting ready with the slow but steady growth of red leaves. They'll no doubt be ready for Christmas by the time it rolls around. So lovely. Remember, don't toss those poinsettias. They'll do their thing year after year (the red is based on length of day).

(Sorry about the blurry photo. I'll try to grab a better one once it's light out.) Slightly red sky on the eastern horizon.

I saw a "grateful list" on the Internet, things like:

ANNOYED that my hot water tank is on the fritz/GRATEFUL for running water

On my list this morning is:

ANNOYED the days are too short/GRATEFUL for poinsettias

If you can think of "gratefuls" to share this week, I'll continue to plug away at mine.

Happy Monday!

MaryJane Butters, author of Milk Cow Kitchen ~ striving for the stoicism of a cow standing in the rain ~

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2018 :  08:26:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning MaryJane and all. Beautiful poinsettia. Where does one begin or end with being grateful. I think daily, I'm not feeling well, how grateful I am to be able to walk, think, see, smell, hear and enjoy the simple and little pleasures that are so dear to us each day. Cold, bitter days doing chores, but grateful I have the animals and all they provide and warm home to shelter us and them. There is no end to the things I'm grateful for, but that is a start. Nellie didn't come into heat this time, so I think her hormones were really wacky last month. I may test them all for pregnancy. I never have in the past, but I might Nellie. Enjoy the day and all the pleasantries that abound.

To laugh is human but to moo is bovine. Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

Boots&Flipflops

499 Posts
Darla

Posted - Nov 20 2018 :  1:21:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well MaryJane, Where does one start with annoyances and gratefulness?

Two days ago I was so annoyed, with jacket and gloves on, around my wrists still looked like I went a few rounds with a rabid squirrel, but how grateful I am for my Pomegranate trees. Pokie darn things.

Early this morning I was annoyed by traffic, but so grateful for our wonderful oral surgeon, and Austin's wisdom teeth surgery went well and without complications. He is out like a light right now. Never been under anesthesia before. The silence is deafening LOL

Just a bit ago I was annoyed by a phone call that my barn is going to have additional costs because of California code and engineering, but grateful we are moving ahead, and it is progress in the making.

I agree with Janet, I could go on and on about all the things I am so truly grateful for. The little annoyances are like pesty little gnats when you really start to count your blessings and all that we have to be grateful for.

I am truly grateful to all the HJO friends here on this forum. I have learned a lot from all of you, and hope that we all continue to share our tidbits and wonderful pictures for years to come.

May You All Have A Wonderful and Blessed Day
Oh Yes, that beautiful Poinsettia. Soooo Pretty!!

To Succeed In This Life You Need Three Things: A Backbone, A Wish Bone and a Funny Bone. As quoted by Reba McEntire
Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2018 :  09:11:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Grateful for the two cheerful, upbeat "Xerox guys" who are here right now who keep us in the publishing business. OFTEN annoyed by the technology of it all.

Grateful for turkeys. Brian and Ashley built a turkey house this past summer, so next year at this time, we'll be enjoying our own farm-raised turkeys.

Amazed to have someone tell me yesterday they ordered a turducken for their dinner. I'd NEVER heard of such a thing. It's a chicken stuffed inside a duck stuffed inside a turkey (Cajun thing). Annoyed that I can't get the word out of my mind. Turducken, turducken, turducken. There now, maybe you have it stuck front and center in your brain.

Grateful for the bounty of milk I brought up from the parlor this morning. For some reason, both my girls gave extra. Maybe they knew I was dreaming of mashed potatoes and whipped cream ....

MaryJane Butters, author of Milk Cow Kitchen ~ striving for the stoicism of a cow standing in the rain ~
Go to Top of Page

Boots&Flipflops

499 Posts
Darla

Posted - Nov 22 2018 :  07:58:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very Grateful For All Of You!!

Happy Thanksgiving To All.

Hope You All Have A Wonderful Day With Family & Friends.

To Succeed In This Life You Need Three Things: A Backbone, A Wish Bone and a Funny Bone. As quoted by Reba McEntire
Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2018 :  08:17:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good Thanksgiving morn, Darla! Yes, very grateful for all my HJO friends. Especially grateful for the loving home you're providing Lacy Lou (and her someday soon-to-be new barn).

All my girls are getting extra pampering this morning (more grass hay than usual), while I ran in for a late-start breakfast.

Meg baked pumpkins last evening for pie. Here 'tis draining getting ready for today's baking.

We still have quite a few garden pumpkins left--so sweet and good, we're going to put them into cold storage and eat them in stir-fry meals this winter, and of course more pumpkin pies.

Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2018 :  10:30:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello to all! I missed the morning gathering, but have been busy since 4:00 this morning, non-stop. Chores, milking done. Grateful for you all, and the 50 degrees, warm, shining sun. My fig trees and raspberry plants arrived yesterday, but with the lovely weather today, they are nicely planted in the ground, mulched and ready for winter weather. If time permits we will try and get the garlic planted and mulched as well. Now, for a little break, a nice meal, and perhaps a rest and back outdoors to get more done while the weather holds. It's to change by the weekend to the brr factor again. But for now, the honey bees are having a grand day, cleaning out and harvesting a little honey from emptied frames I've left out for them to clean up. More to be grateful for. May you all have a lovely and precious day together.

Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2018 :  6:18:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your bee hives look fabulous, Janet. Such an abundant sight. None of mine were out today because last night it snowed. Our first snow! It was lovely. By mid-day the sun was out but it melted only some of the snow.

Buttercup went into heat in the middle of the night, mooing and carousing; Ian bellowing back. She had only 15 days between cycles this time. My plan is to get her and Miss Daisy pregnant at the same time next July. Oh, and Maggie also so she can be a nursemaid again to Daisy's calf if need be. Daisy is just too low to the ground for a calf to nurse. I'm so glad her girl, Buttercup, has nice tall legs. But hopefully, she'll have Daisy's capacity for milk production. One can always hope for Cupid's arrow to hit the mark.

Nick and I are thinking about heading into town tonight or tomorrow to see the movie, Colette, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_8U7gjb2k4
Then back home for more leftover turkey. Our pies are all gone. Sigh.

Milk deliveries tomorrow.

Janet, tell me about your fig trees? They must be some sort of cold-weather variety.

Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2018 :  04:50:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We received a skiff of snow and cold winds. Brrr. Different from what we had yesterday. Balmy, warm, sun-filled day. Honey bees were out again. We buried my dog Rogan. 15 years old. Ground is not froze yet. Took a load of wood to my brother, and we moved the horses back up to the house pasture for the winter. So, a full day. I had Nellie AI'd again as she came in a two days later than usual. If she doesn't take this time we will have vet look her over. Nellie's udder is so low it's difficult for the calf to nurse, and Nellie's calf nursed off Darla most of the time. The fig trees I ordered MaryJane are from StarkBro. and are called "Brown Turkey" and require winter protection. So we will see. They do nicely in containers and I will be doing that with another fig tree and putting it in the greenhouse. (Comparison). I'm sure you could keep fig trees in containers in your greenhouse. I like experimenting with different things. Love having different varieties of fruit and food here on the farm. More of the self-sufficient thing. I'm in zone 5 and it's compatible for my area, but still needs protection in the winter. I have yet to wrap them, something that may get done today.

Go to Top of Page
  Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: