Chit Chat and Daily Weather Report
 Week of Nov. 12
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Topic  

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2018 :  10:50:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning. It was super frosty here this morning when I went out to milk. While I was mucking, I took a minute to admire Jack Frost who is capable of making stunning artwork from a mere weed and a chicken feather.

The sun has come out full force since then so I only see white in the shaded areas. Beautiful. I am on my way to WSU to get more nitrogen for my semen tank.

Hope all is well in your world!

MaryJane Butters, author of Milk Cow Kitchen ~ striving for the stoicism of a cow standing in the rain ~

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2018 :  10:57:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning!

Yes it was very frosty this morning while I was out milking as well. I have the cows pumpkins, and BlueBelle did not want to share even though Baby Ray thought hers was the better half!

Loving life and family on our Idaho farm, Meadowlark Heritage Farm; A few Jersey cows; a few alpacas; a few more goats, and even more ducks and chickens
Go to Top of Page

Boots&Flipflops

499 Posts
Darla

Posted - Nov 12 2018 :  11:19:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good Morning All,

Well MaryJane and Charlene you have had an Autumn and now Winter approaches. We have had some unusual weather. The latter part of summer was unseasonably cooler than normal. 80's-90's, instead of the dreaded 100+ we usually have. Then it was in the upper 70's to mid 80's until last week. This week we went from summer to winter over night. This morning was 32 with frost. We never seem to get a good run of Autumn weather which is such a drag as it is my favorite time of year.

On the bright side, I finally have my new barn in motion. Deposit is paid and waiting for the engineered drawings and calculations I have to have before I can apply for the permit. Nothing fancy like Miss Charlene just put up, but a 30x40 that I will gussy up a bit. 4 walls and a roof, I can't wait.

Sydney, I just love your video you posted. For me, being in the heart of California's dairy land and seeing how many are going away is just very emotional. You did a splendid job on that video and is something to be very proud of!!!

Is Turkey Day really next week?????

Blessings to all for a Wonderful Day and Week

To Succeed In This Life You Need Three Things: A Backbone, A Wish Bone and a Funny Bone. As quoted by Reba McEntire
Go to Top of Page

Boots&Flipflops

499 Posts
Darla

Posted - Nov 12 2018 :  11:25:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
By the way,

We are not close to any of the fires if you have seen them on the news or read about them. The Paradise fire is 2 1/2 - 3 hours north of us, but has the entire valley covered in grey and you can smell the smoke even at that distance.

The Malibu fire is about 5 hours south of us on the coast.

Just sad all the way around. Stayed the weekend in Paradise May of 2017 and it was a beautiful quaint little town. Now the entire town is gone!!!!

As I always remind myself and family, if you think you have it bad, just look around you.

To Succeed In This Life You Need Three Things: A Backbone, A Wish Bone and a Funny Bone. As quoted by Reba McEntire
Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2018 :  12:03:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Missed the good morning gathering, but I was up to my elbows filling eclairs. Charlene, I enjoy the picture of BlueBelle and Baby Ray eating their pumpkin. Darla and I have a morning routine. Every day during milking, Darla will look back to see if I'm watching her, and when she thinks I'm not watching she pulls the cover cloth off my cow cloths, onto the floor, every milking. Joe and I get the biggest kick out of that. She is a darling. We managed to get the Milkplan bulk tank leveled and all I need to do is clean it out before we use it, and it should be ready to go. Very cool here the last couple of mornings. 11 degrees one morning and 23 this morning. Would that be a two or three dog night?? Jack Frost is pretty on the feather, but means it's cold. Yes Darla, things can always be worse than they are. There was a small plane that went down just south of here, killing 4. Devastating. Fires in California, horrific. Things can change in a moment.

To laugh is human but to moo is bovine. Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2018 :  06:35:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congrats on your new barn, Darla. That will be wonderful. I know how much I love stepping inside my parlor. Ron (who used to post here) had a saying he used whenever life got complicated, "Going to the barn." So true! And for Janet, it's going to the barn to play a sweet little game with Darla. It's the little things.

I'm about to bundle up and head out for milking, etc. I think I'm going to sell my NuPulse and all it's little perks and extras. It's going to take me more than a little minute to organize and list all of it. Connie liked using the NuPulse and it's handy when you're milking more than one cow, but I could use the room in the parlor.

MaryJane Butters, author of Milk Cow Kitchen ~ striving for the stoicism of a cow standing in the rain ~
Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2018 :  06:58:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning! I just returned from the barn and milking. Trying to figure out the cooling controller on the tank. Always something it seems. I'll go through the manual again. Yes Darla with barn congratulations and Charlene's barn build, all happy news and progress. Barn builds are exciting. Mischievous Darla and her towel pulling. If I turn and look at her, she stops and looks at me, but when I turn back to milk, she will reach and pull it off. Oh, and did I mention, I get daily kisses from Darla too. It's her way of ensuring she gets her neck scratched. What a hoot. Most definitely the little things which make the heart soar.

Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2018 :  1:25:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Those heart soars are because you have such an open heart, Janet.

Hoof trims today. One more thing crossed off my winter to-do list. We'll finish up with Maybelle tomorrow, then we're done.

Lizzy and Maggie picked out purple nail polish.

Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2018 :  5:16:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hoof trims and care, check. Always feels good to have something checked off the list. Here, it was another load of hay. I stacked it like you have pictured in your Milk Cow Kitchen book MaryJane, for pickup. Joe puts the bales up on the tailgate, and I stack. Worked pretty slick. It was dark by the time we made it back home but it's all put away and the cow gals were happy to have new alfalfa hay. Check.

Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2018 :  08:11:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning one and all! I am happy to report that I'm loving the 14 gal. Milkplan bulk tank. It cools the milk in under an hour and I can go on with cleaning and other jobs while the milk is cooling. Probably doesn't take long at this time because I'm only putting a bit over 2 gallons in it. So once I am milking more cows I'm sure it will take longer to cool, but I won't know until that time comes. But I am pleased with it. Cleans easily. Cool and a brisk wind but will warm up as the day progresses. Hoping you all have a pleasant day.

Edited by - NellieBelle on Nov 15 2018 08:11:52 AM
Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2018 :  2:40:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That looks so inviting, Janet. Every farmgirl's dream come true. Milk production, farmgirl style! Glad to hear more about a cooling tank and happy to know someone has figured out how to accommodate small-scale, backyard cow needs.

Maybelle got her hooves trimmed. She barely fits into our chute (body too long).

Here's Nick putting the finishing touches our new roof.

Well, I'm about to get started on Stella's b-day dinner. Ashley made more Scamorza today.

Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2018 :  4:14:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fun evening and yummy meal for family and Miss Stella. HB Stella! Your "cow port" for hoof trimming will sure be nice. I cringed seeing Nick up so high up on that ladder. Have a wonderful evening!

Go to Top of Page

Boots&Flipflops

499 Posts
Darla

Posted - Nov 16 2018 :  10:07:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Happy Friday All,

Janet, I just love your milk cooling tank. How wonderful is that!! Glad it is up and running. What a Blessing. Your Darla sounds like quite the "Little Rascal"
I would love for you to snap a picture of her in action and share it.

MaryJane, I love your hoof trimming stand. I have looked at the cost of purchasing one, and printed out a picture and showed it to the two welders I live with. That will be a project to go with the new barn. I am sure we can build on for less than the $800.00 and up I see them go for, not counting shipping costs of course.

It is just horrible here in the valley with all the smoke. Schools and colleges are closed until Monday, and quite a mess. The loss up north is horrifying to say the least. At least 65 people have perished and over 600 missing. Just aweful. As we get ready to celebrate the holidays, we just say prayers for all involved.

Wishing everyone a Blessed and wonderful weekend, and Happy Birthday to Miss Stella

Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2018 :  2:36:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good evening all! Hello Darla! Yes, my Darla is a little rascal, but she is sweet about it. She has turned that pulling off of the cover cloth a game. I have to throw it in the wash each time, but it's worth it. It will be easy to get a photo of her I think. She usually stops if I turn and look at her, but I can sit Joe down in my place and I can stand toward the back and maybe fool her. ? She's a sharp one that gal. We will see how it goes. With all the fires the smoke must be awful. Such heartbreaking loss. Catastrophic.

Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2018 :  06:43:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning! Well it wasn't easy but I managed to capture my milk, grab the camera, turn and catch Darla in the act, and watching back end as well. Whew! This was as good as I could do, as I'm trying to watch my filling milk bottles, the back end and Miss Darla's antics all at the same time. I think these are the kinds of things we will think back upon in later years, and it will bring glisten to the eyes and a smile.

Go to Top of Page

Boots&Flipflops

499 Posts
Darla

Posted - Nov 17 2018 :  08:00:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good Morning All,

Oh My Goodness Janet, those two pictures are just priceless. I got the biggest chuckle out of them, and it made my heart smile. Darla is doing "exactly" as you said she does. Isn't funny, that she does it every time. Not just a one time thing. I think all farms have one animal that is more of a character than the rest. I have that one darn ewe Maggie, aka "Margaret" when she is in trouble, that is always got her nose in something or underfoot. She is always right in the mix no matter what I am doing, but man is she a love!!! I think she thinks she is my farm/barn assistant

Thank You for posting those pictures, as I couldn't wait to see if you had caught her in the act. Sure enough!!!

Blessing to All for a Wonderful Day

Go to Top of Page

Boots&Flipflops

499 Posts
Darla

Posted - Nov 17 2018 :  09:50:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey MaryJane,

You could call me obsessed I guess, but I love looking at "Vintage Kitchen" stuff. I was looking for metal kitchen cabinets and missed a whole kitchen set up for $800.00 dollars. It would of done my entire second kitchen, but Tom said to wait. Well they just don't stick around. Found these two kitchen Item this morning and though I would share just for the fun of it. A Blast from the Past!!

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/app/d/vintage-king-kitchenette/6730470119.html

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/app/d/1950s-vintage-general-chef/6750920431.html

Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2018 :  11:34:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Isn't your Miss Darla just the sweetest thing, Janet? Thank you for the heartwarming pic.

Rest assured the ladder Nick is on is safe because it's a ladder on both sides with hinges at the top, so he's straddling it. It would be very precarious otherwise.

Darla, enjoyed your links. Oddly enough, I have on my today list to clean three of my gas ranges so we can sell them. Brian took photos of them last week, but I think I'll do a bit more cleaning and take the photos again. He also researched what to sell them for. Anyway, one of them is a 1950s O'Keefe and Merritt gas range with 4 burners, middle griddle, and oven. It has a sweet little back w/shelf and a top that folds into place to cover all four burners and griddle.

I snapped a photo of Stella diving in for her b-day dinner of BLT's. We had our own bread, tomatoes, and lettuce, along with some homemade ice cream and a raspberry crisp.

Little Miss short-legs Daisy. I almost have to get on my stomach to get the EZ bottles attached.

I'm also cleaning up my NuPulse milker to sell if anyone is interested.

Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2018 :  3:37:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good evening. Our animals can sure be uplifting. They may be mischievous at times, but they still bring a smile. How dull it would be without them. What a beautiful array of fresh foods and table setting MaryJane. I'm sure Stella was pleased, what's not to like? Dark so early, just barely finished chores and it was dark out. Lil Miss Daisy, and having to look for the teats. I'm that way with one of Darla's. She has one shorter teat and I have to get way down to find it and it can be a stretch at times. Almost have to stand on your head, and hope she doesn't bring her hoof up. But once the bottle is attached all is fine.

Edited by - NellieBelle on Nov 17 2018 3:42:29 PM
Go to Top of Page

Boots&Flipflops

499 Posts
Darla

Posted - Nov 17 2018 :  9:11:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
MaryJane,

I got to thinking about your wonderful stoves you are working on and wanted to show you this link.

http://www.buckeyeappliance.com/architecture.htm If you click on this link and go to stoves, there is a red O'Keeffe & Merritt, that is a gem.

This is a dangerous place for me to even get near. I love going in there, and may need to make a trip as they have metal cabinets from time to time. This is a family owned business, and they are the nicest people. I was going to see if you could send them pictures of your stoves and get an idea of price, but unfortunately they want to see them in person. However, if you would like, if you want to email me some pictures when you are ready, I will go in and see what they have comparable, and send you the info. Another good place "sometimes" is E-bay. You could get an idea of what things are going for by putting your models in the search area.

Just A Thought

Edited by - Boots&Flipflops on Nov 17 2018 9:12:21 PM
Go to Top of Page

Boots&Flipflops

499 Posts
Darla

Posted - Nov 17 2018 :  9:14:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
P.S. MaryJane,

You might have to get a mechanics creeper to scoot yourself under Miss Daisy!!!

Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2018 :  07:04:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great link, Darla. I found my stove on their site. Brian was thinking Craigs List for selling it but eBay might be a better place for that (I don't know where he looked for a price--will ask him tomorrow). I'll look at it again today with a mind to wear and tear. I know the griddle has a worn spot, but it worked for years on the porch of our bunkhouse kitchen. I'll let you know if I decide to pony up the $75 they want for an appraisal (on site). Hmmmm.

Yes! a mechanic's creeper. I do have Cindy's rolling mechanic's chair I use. I wonder if I could make the creeper into a nap-bed of sorts:) Well, off to milk/muck, etc.

Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2018 :  12:03:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Even the cow pies were picturesque this morning.

My girls all lined up, small to big. Miss Daisy, Maggie, Lizzy, and Maybelle.

And the kids in their new digs adjacent to Ian, who is quite the gentleman these days. Not a moment's bother housed right next to Buttercup in heat this past week. I think he likes having someone close by.

It's a room with a view of a large pasture they roam all day.

Is a Sunday cat nap on your agenda today?

Go to Top of Page
  Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: