Chit Chat and Daily Weather Report
 Week of November 5
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Topic  

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2018 :  9:56:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Since I'll be up and out first thing in the morning, I thought I'd say "good morning" tonight and get us started on the first week of November.

I spent the better part of today doing winter prep--rolling up more hoses, putting my garden shed to bed, planting more tulips, rigging up a winter watering system in two areas where I don't have a BarBarA, moving Lizzy back with the herd, hauling straw, etc. Sure was nice for Nick and me to pop into the Rae's residence for a dinner of beef stew (chuck roast/5-year old Samson--perfectly tender) and warm molasses bread.

I offered to cook a special dinner for Lucas and Stella's b-days coming up. They decided they wanted my rendition of steamed broccoli (lemon, garlic/LOTS, and butter/LOTS), BLTAs (bacon, lettuce, tomato, and avocado sandwiches), and a raspberry crisp with ice cream.

While I was out and about today, I marveled once again at how much I love lenten roses. They are the first flower to bloom in the spring and the last to bloom in the fall--still setting new blooms well into Thanksgiving each year. Here are some new ones Nick planted this spring.

I tried to separate Buttercup and O'Mally. Both of them cried all night for each other, so I put them back together first thing. Maggie's training finally paid off--she no longer requires any kind of hobble during milking. Such a good girl!!!

Nick and I decided to move our hoof trim chute so we could attach it permanently to concrete in the ground rather than two parked cars. Nick has spent the better part of three days welding a roof contraption onto it and hauling gravel to where it'll live from here on out.

MaryJane Butters, author of Milk Cow Kitchen ~ striving for the stoicism of a cow standing in the rain ~

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2018 :  05:24:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your Lenten roses are beautiful, MaryJane. And we actually may see our first snow flurries this week according to the weather forecast so finishing up winterizing over here as well!

Does your farm still sell Chaffhaye, MaryJane? According to the Chaffhaye website you do. I’ve left a couple of voice messages on the number listed on the website but haven’t gotten a reply. If you don’t sell it, do you know who does somewhat locally?

Two more weeks until I can test Betsy to see if her AI took as well. I won’t breed Clover right now as I would prefer my cows to be spread out a bit more. Betsy and BlueBelle will be due only a few weeks apart! That will be enough excitement next summer!

Our barn had more concrete poured yesterday! It’s a race against Mother Nature now and getting our project squeezed into the contractors overloaded schedule! Great work has been done so far and I’m so hopeful the rest gets done. I’d love for those automatic waterers to be used this winter!!

My girls and Baby Ray while I milked Clover against the lovely sunrise clouds yesterday morning.

Off to milk this morning!

Loving life and family on our Idaho farm, Meadowlark Heritage Farm; A few Jersey cows; a few alpacas; a few more goats, and even more ducks and chickens

Edited by - CloversMum on Nov 06 2018 06:22:47 AM
Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2018 :  06:21:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning Charlene! I'm about to bundle up for milking because, yeah, there's definitely the feel of winter/snow in the air. The extra light in the early mornings (daylight savings) is much appreciated by this milkmaid.

We haven't been able to get any Chaffhaye for several months. The woman there, Kimberly, who helped us with logistics called to say she was leaving. Upon her departure, we were hit with a hefty increase, both in the price of Chaffhaye and shipping. The shipping went from $500 to $3,000 or something ridiculous like that. My take on it was they were needing to cut way back or had a bad crop or something but didn't want to say that, so they made it impossible. I don't know anyone else who carries it.

After I'm done milking, Nick and I are going to put into place our trim chute. He's done some serious welding on it the last week so that it can be permanently fixed in the ground using concrete pillars. It'll also have a roof over it and will be put in a new place on the farm altogether (fair amount of site prep). Anyway, we have a few coleuses who still need a trim before winter: Maybelle, Maggie, Lizzy, and Buttercup. We've already trimmed Ian, Daisy, and O'Mally.

MaryJane Butters, author of Milk Cow Kitchen ~ striving for the stoicism of a cow standing in the rain ~
Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2018 :  1:17:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ta-da. Finished pouring the concrete in the two 2-foot deep holes that will hold it in place against an objecting cow. None too soon on the concrete because the temp seems to be dropping.

Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2018 :  04:59:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Every day during milking Lizzy hangs out by the door of the parlor wishing it were her going in. "April," I tell her, "will come soon enough." She's the daughter of Ester Lily and Finnegan (Fanci's boy). I'm hoping for a fabulous udder from Finnegan's genes. But we shall see. I'm with Lizzy. Will April ever come?

The girls are starting to get their winter wooly mammoth look.

Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2018 :  7:06:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Today's Scamorza cheese. Double batch.

Tonight for dinner I decided that all I wanted was a sliced Asian pear from one of our trees along with slices of Scamorza from the last batch Ashley made. Wasn't I happy? I enjoyed every bite. Simple and scrumptious.

Go to Top of Page

Sydney2015

1156 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2018 :  1:24:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good evening everyone! As I type this, I’m sitting inside watching a small blizzard outside, sipping on my tea and reading my lastest copy of MaryJanesFarm(which I received yesterday)! It’s wonderful MaryJane!! We spent most of yesterday winterizing the whole place, mostly moving animals and building more pens! It feels more like Christmas than anything right now! I don’t think I ever shared this video I made for a Dairy Science project for everyone to see! If you have a spare few minutes, watch it and let me know what you think!(I’m interested :)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jHsTJon6RyY

A good laugh overcomes more difficulties and dissipates more dark clouds than any other one thing - Laura Ingalls Wilder

I live on a small farm of seventy acres called Green Forest Farm, with 10 horses, a donkey, 5 beef cows, 2 beef heifers, 3 Hereford heifers, around 60 chickens, 8 dogs, my amazing cow, AppleButter, and her little Jersey calf HoneyButter!
Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2018 :  5:39:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gosh Sydney, your video was so well done! I really liked the two farmers you interviewed, especially sweet Emily (and her adorable kitty cats and dog that were helping). And everything was so orderly and clean at her dairy. Impressive what she accomplishes everyday. And I loved your FARMHer t-shirt! Thanks for sharing your work with us. Job well done my dear!!!!

Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2018 :  05:05:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We're closing in on our winter prep for this year. Yesterday, Lucas finished pruning our orchard.

And I' ll continue to mulch around the base of each tree every morning when I muck my cows' stalls.

And our garden has been officially put to bed. Raspberries, strawberries, roses, and hydrangeas mulched/manured, all vines composted, hoses drained and rolled up, and garden shed packed to the gills with chairs, fire bowl, etc.

Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2018 :  05:23:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning all! I enjoyed your youtube video Sydney. Thanks for sharing so we could view it. Yes, winter has come early. 11 degrees yesterday morning. My teeth shattered. It's sad to see another growing year come to an end, but feels good when things are tucked away and you can start afresh next spring. Reflection of 2018 and dreaming of renewal 2019. 2019? wow. How time flies. Enjoy your Sunday!

To laugh is human but to moo is bovine. Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2018 :  05:33:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ashley's Scamorza cheese looks so good MaryJane. I tried making it the second time and it didn't work at all. Looked like a head of a cauliflower, and wouldn't come together. But the chickens were quite pleased with my failure.

To laugh is human but to moo is bovine. Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page
  Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: