Chit Chat and Daily Weather Report
 Week of October 8
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Topic  

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2018 :  11:18:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, we still haven't had a significant frost, just patchy freezing along the creek and other low points. Ashley and I picked pears this morning so she can can them and maybe make some pear butter. But at this point, most of the orchard has been picked and put into storage. I left one pear tree quite full of smaller, reddish pears for the cows. They almost mob anyone walking up from the orchard, they so love their sweet treats. They run and kick/swivel and BEG for more, so I usually fill the ground with pears for them so I can sneak by with my cache of fruit for us two-legged creatures.

Tomorrow, all four of my girls get their annual TB test (for Idaho's Raw Milk program) and Buttercup will get her Bang's vaccination. Yesterday, I took down the temporary fence for the "kids" area in prep for winter. Soon, I'll have to move them once we start getting significant rain.

Janet, how is Nellie's limp today now that her dressing is gone?

I sent off another magazine this morning so now I get to devote my full attention to the farm for a couple of weeks and get things fully winterized. Yeah!!!

Meg delivered 25 of our pumpkins this morning to the porches of friends and clients along with a little note.

I bought something called a FreedomWeeder. It came with a recipe for squirting weeds with a non-toxic formula using 30% vinegar, water, salt, and citronella oil. I'm not sure what the roots are thinking and whether or not the weed will grow back next spring but it sure does kill plants. Here's some thistle I sprayed a couple of weeks ago:

Does anyone else have Autumn crocus? I have several patches. Gorgeous this time of year.

MaryJane Butters, author of Milk Cow Kitchen ~ striving for the stoicism of a cow standing in the rain ~

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2018 :  3:04:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good evening MaryJane. Your crocus are so pretty. I used to have saffron crocus that bloomed in the fall, but I think the ground squirrels must have got them or else the hosta plants crowded them out. Big day for the cow gals tomorrow it looks like. I just came in from milking and you can tell Nellie is favoring that foot, but the limp isn't as noticeable. Pretty mucky and wet as the rains continue. We had about 15-30 minutes of sunshine and it disappeared, and more rain coming in this evening and through the night.

To laugh is human but to moo is bovine. Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2018 :  7:17:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We got a good bit of rain early in the week, but the last couple of days have brought perfect autumn weather. Still rainy where you are, Janet?

We got our first frost really last night and it was a heavy one. Even so it didn't nip my dahlias and sunflowers, so I brought maybe my last bouquet in tonight. Everything is harvested now. Our beets are gigantic this year, probably 40 pounds of those for the winter.

I'm hoping to root a hundred or more Myrtle cuttings this winter, so I've been cutting and bringing those inside the last couple of days. I brought twelve branches off my snowball (hydrangea) tree inside sometime in July. They've finally started filling the jars with little white roots, so I'll get those planted in pots soon and keep them inside until early next spring. I want to landscape around our new guest house with both.

MaryJane Butters, author of Milk Cow Kitchen ~ striving for the stoicism of a cow standing in the rain ~
Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2018 :  11:44:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All four girls passed their TB tests.

Maggie and ...

... Ester Lily waiting for their tail checks. Daisy and May were in the parlor.

Got a load of lumber delivered early this morning for another glampsite shelter. The weather is supposed to hold next week so we should be able to get it built before bad weather sets in.

Nick has been getting spent vines pulled up in the garden. Sorry to see it go.

Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2018 :  12:33:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You have lots going on MaryJane, as usual. Yes, rainy and cold. I moved some plants inside the greenhouse. Starting to get crowded in there, so don't know how many more will get a spot. 33 degrees this morning and just not very pleasant. Glad all the cow gals passed with flying colors!

To laugh is human but to moo is bovine. Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page
  Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: