Week of October 1, 2018
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Topic  

txbikergirl

3197 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2018 :  10:34:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HALLO! and how are y'all doing??

Greetings from the traveling bunch! home safe and sound Friday afternoon...
here's a pic on the train through Ireland. the girls had a surrogate granny in the seat with them, they had a great time with her - she was just lovely.

And remember when you travel thousands of miles away, that its the simple thing that are always delightful... two labrador retriever's at our final AirBnB...

i have to go catch up on laundry, the washer went out saturday morning on the first load of laundry! new one was fetched and installed by lover boy saturday afternoon but with everything else on the farm i still haven't quite caught up...

Firefly Hollow Farm , our little farmstead. Farmgirl living in the green piney woods of East Texas on 23 acres with a few jerseys, too many chickens, a pair of pugs and my Texan hubby (aka "lover boy")

Edited by - txbikergirl on Oct 01 2018 10:36:56 AM

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2018 :  6:01:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wonderful to hear from you Cindy, and to know you're back home safe and sound. What a memorable trip for your girls.

I've been using our agitator-type washing machine to dye vintage coverlets and bedspreads. I think that's the type you prefer. I hope mine doesn't give out before I get my project done. What is your favorite model/brand?

From white to ...

Check out the cream our Daisy girl continues to give.

MaryJane Butters, author of Milk Cow Kitchen ~ striving for the stoicism of a cow standing in the rain ~
Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2018 :  3:02:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Our watermelons have finally ripened! There'll be lots of seed spitting happening around here the next couple of weeks.

This one was fabulous--perfectly ripe and unbelievably sweet.

MaryJane Butters, author of Milk Cow Kitchen ~ striving for the stoicism of a cow standing in the rain ~
Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2018 :  6:09:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
More Scamorza today. We are going through this stuff. We're thinking at the very least we'll need a batch a week.

Nick filled what we call our "great room" with pumpkins and butternut squash.

We ate the last of our corn today so now the girls can get started on the stalks. They eat the entire stalk.

Meanwhile, Meg and Lucas were hard at work selling magazine ads.

And I had myself a little campfire whilst I drained trailers, moved outside gear in for the winter, and ate more than my share of the plums surrounding my Airstream.

Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2018 :  05:06:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nothing more satisfying than a larder full of wholesome produce. Watermelon looks refreshing too! I have got to try the scamorza one of these first days. 39 degrees this morning and I feel every chilling degree. Brrr! And it's only the first part of October. So MaryJane, your campfire would feel sooooo good. Welcome home Cindy. It looks as if you had a wonderful trip and time together. Something you will all remember for years to come. Progress being made in the attic. Nellie's not limping anymore but the dressing/bandage, still hasn't fallen off. I will be watching her close today and tomorrow for signs of heat. Enjoy these autumn days.

To laugh is human but to moo is bovine. Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2018 :  07:04:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Autumn Joy, Janet? If so, my bees sure do love mine.

I picked my one single peach yesterday and hopefully it'll ripen indoors. With temps dipping close to freezing and the leaves already falling off the tree it was attached to, I decided not to wait any longer. The indent on the top is from how closely it was attached to the wood of the branch.

When I got back from my bike ride last night, I found a fire Nick had laid for me and someone to keep me and Jasper company.

Watermelons are now inside, safe from frost.

It sure is nice having my daughter for a neighbor, "Meatloaf and potatoes tonight, Momma. Ready around 6:30"

So nice to hear Nellie is well again, Janet.

Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2018 :  07:55:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning MaryJane and all! Yes, Sedum "Abbeydore," a variety I ordered and bought from Avant Gardens. Very nice plants and blooming first year I put them in the ground. I liked them so much I ordered 5 more. That dear Peach. Watch out next year! It would be nice to have a daughter close by to enjoy a home cooked meal with. I get tired of preparing meals, and proof was last night when Joe got an egg sandwich for supper. I had been outside working and putting plants in the ground and after milking and chores I didn't feel like fixing a meal so wa-lah, egg sandwich. He survived. :). I don't know if Nellie's foot is healed, but at least she's not limping. And no sign of a heat today, so hopeful that all three girls are pregnant. So nice of Nick to get a fire prepared for you and share it with Jasper and Mr. Jack-o-Lantern. Off to see Dr. P this morning.

Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2018 :  3:16:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Still no sign of heat, Janet? Wouldn't that be nice to cross that off your list? Nothing wrong with egg salad sandwich for dinner. Pullman bread?

I have my peach ripening indoors under my grow lights.

I just finished forking a trailer load of manure-straw onto some flower beds. Next up? Clean the chicken coop and get it ready for winter. Eat more watermelon. It's become my new full-time job.

Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2018 :  4:48:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nellie's in heat. I was hoping she was pregnant but she told me otherwise this morning. She should be bred tonight but my AI guy must be busy as he doesn't answer his phone. So we may just have to wait another cycle. I didn't make Joe egg salad, just a fried egg on bara brith bread. And he may get that again as I've been with migraine all day. Just starting to feel better so we will see what tomorrow brings. Special little peach, gets it's own light source. :).
AI guy just called, and will be here between 9:00-9:30, so that's good.

Edited by - NellieBelle on Oct 06 2018 5:09:18 PM
Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2018 :  10:43:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello everyone,

Hope this time Nellie settles! BlueBelle was just AI’d yesterday! So if both settle, we will be having calves due at the same time! This is the first time we’ve tried with BlueBelle. She is 16 months old next week. The sire is a mini Jersey bull (A2/A2) from Texas. Icing on the cake would be a little heifer smaller than petite BlueBelle. I love BlueBelle ‘s size and would love even a bit smaller. Here she is today! Quiet and no ruckus/mooing so
fingers crossed everything turns out! Like a positive pregnancy test in a month!

Loving life and family on our Idaho farm, Meadowlark Heritage Farm; A few Jersey cows; a few alpacas; a few more goats, and even more ducks and chickens
Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2018 :  04:30:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, Nellie was AI'd at about 9:30 last evening. However she is limping again. So still have a problem there. I hope BlueBelle's AI takes too Charlene. My cows due dates will be spread out more than I would like but I will just have to live with it. BlueBelle is a pretty little lass, and hopefully you will get the size you want from her breeding. And a heifer at that. Cooler days here and you feel autumn in the air. I picked some butternut squash and left the rest to mature, if the weather cooperates.

Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2018 :  1:18:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is that Betsy's calf standing next to BlueBelle, Charlene?

That's a drag about Nellie, Janet. I was hoping the antibiotics would solve the problem.

Just spent 3 hours working with my bees to check their honey stores and begin to get them ready for winter.

After that, well, what more can I say?

Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2018 :  2:25:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rain, rain, and then some more rain. Mud and cold. This is to continue through Weds. Was your peach as good and juicy as it looks MaryJane? I spent a half hour delicately removing the bandage the vet had put on her hoof. He said it would last a week and fall off, but it wasn't ever going to fall off and with this mud and wet, I can't think that is good, holding bacteria next to her hoof. The dressing was soaked through. So, between Nellie's shakes and kicks, I survived it and got the thing off. That will let me know how she is doing. Hopefully the antibiotics did stave off any infection.

Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2018 :  2:31:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
MaryJane, you remind me of story, "James and the Giant Peach" by Roald Dahl.

Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2018 :  4:20:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes that’s Betsy’s calf “Sweet Baby Ray”. He is currently being weaned and handling it way better than Betsy! He’s a chunk and looks more like a beef steer than a dairy steer which is good for us down the road.

Loving life and family on our Idaho farm, Meadowlark Heritage Farm; A few Jersey cows; a few alpacas; a few more goats, and even more ducks and chickens
Go to Top of Page
  Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: