Emergency! Vet Care
 Mysterious lump on teat?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Topic  

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2014 :  4:48:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I went to milk tonight, I was washing and dipping Nellie's teat and noticed a raised lump, circular and firm. I went ahead and milked that quarter but gave the milk to the cats tonight. The vet comes tomorrow to castrate and dehorn Pumpkin Moonshine so I will have him look at it. Just curious to see if anyone has seen anything like this and what it could be?

To laugh is human but to moo is bovine. Author Unknown

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2014 :  7:11:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe a bug/fly bite or something like her brushing up against a stinging nettle? I'll be anxious to hear what the vet says. By the way, nice teats:) They seem perfect in every way.

MaryJane Butters, author of Milk Cow Kitchen ~ striving for the stoicism of a cow standing in the rain ~
Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2014 :  7:51:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I certainly hope that's all it is. I'm a worrier. I just don't want it to be anything serious now that I'm so close to making cheese. I will update tomorrow evening. Vet is coming in late afternoon. I think I'm gonna have my hands full.

Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2014 :  6:04:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had the vet look at Nellie before we started work on Pumpkin Moonshine. The vet didn't seem concerned and said he thought it was probably Pumpkin being a little aggressive on that teat. I will watch it. So nothing too alarming thank goodness. It doesn't bother her to milk that teat and so we will continue using the milk. All's good.

Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2014 :  8:12:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you've ever watched how a calf's sandpaper-cover tongue curls under the teat and sucks with such force, it stands to reason a cow might get a blister once in a while. For the life of me, I can't figure out why a calf has to bump its mother's udder so hard with its head. Repeatedly.

MaryJane Butters, author of Milk Cow Kitchen ~ striving for the stoicism of a cow standing in the rain ~
Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2014 :  04:33:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, I've watched Pumpkin Moonshine do that to Nellie, and I worry about a bruised udder and mastitis. Even when we were bottle feeding for that short period, he would butt with such force it would knock the bottle out of my hands. I've fed others that weren't near that forceful or aggressive.

Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2014 :  07:27:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm glad I don't have to beat her up in order to get milk from her teats. Geez.

Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2014 :  09:31:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So glad to hear it wasn't something more serious!

Loving life and family on our Idaho farm, Meadowlark Heritage Farm; A few Jersey cows; a few alpacas; a few more goats, and even more ducks and chickens
Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2014 :  3:31:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
NellieBelle, has the lump disappeared yet? As I was using my EZ milker today, one of Maizy's super long teats started to pull into the little side tube that creates suction. I had to jostle things around and start over on that teat because the hose also collapsed, hence, no suction. I wonder if maybe that's what happened?

Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2014 :  3:48:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, but it's healing. I've never noticed the teat being sucked in but that could definitely make the lump on a teat. I've not had a collapsed hose though. I will watch closer and see if that could have possibly been the cause. Always something to watch for. I wonder if anyone else using the EZ has had a similar problem. I will check it out and thank you for bringing it to my attention. No cow wants a sore teat. Thanks MJ. I'm just headed down to milk now and I will pay particular attention.

Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2014 :  4:44:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay, back from milking and cleaning up. I looked carefully and the little suction hole where the hose hooks on, only comes to the lower tip of Nellie's teat, so I don't think that caused her injury. If there was a way it could get up that high on her teat then I could sure see the possibility but it can't get up that far on Nellie. So I guess I will put the cause to Pumpkin, or an insect bite. It will make me keep a closer watch on the hose and suction though in the future. Thanks again.
Go to Top of Page
  Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: