Housing
 Getting closer but...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Topic  

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - May 04 2017 :  3:11:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's difficult to get much of a photo as the room isn't that large. Things will make more sense when I get things placed where they belong.

To laugh is human but to moo is bovine. Author Unknown

Edited by - NellieBelle on May 04 2017 3:14:14 PM

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - May 04 2017 :  4:04:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How awesome, Janet. I can't tell you how much I love my little parlor. It's always a joy to clean and spend time there. I keep it cleaner than my house! You're going to have so much fun with décor while at the same time creating a system that works and is efficient for all things dairy.

Speaking of good times, I'm about to do something that's hard on me--something I can put off forever. But it's time. I'm going to offer Lacy Lou and M'lady up for sale. With two new heifers and almost 10 gallons of milk every day, I need to cut back on the work load that so many cows create not to mention I've been blessed with two new heifers to train. Deep, big sigh. It's been hard for me to decide who and I've changed my mind a dozen times over the last few days. But last night it came to me and today I still feel the same way. One of the reasons I brought home two new cows recently was because if we were going to travel all the way to Iowa and back, I might as well bring two back home, thinking I could find a home for one of them. At first I thought I'd keep both of them because they are both so awesome in the parlor. Then, I came around to thinking I'd keep M'lady and sell Anna. Then I decided on M'lady but when I told Julie, she started crying so I offered to give M'lady to her but she isn't set up for a cow (she lives in town). Anyway, Lacy Lou and M'lady it is. Now I just have to create a good write-up and sift through those who inquire.

Today, I put barriers around my four apricot and two new peach trees to protect them from frolicking calves!

MaryJane Butters, author of Milk Cow Kitchen ~ striving for the stoicism of a cow standing in the rain ~
Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - May 04 2017 :  5:43:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks MaryJane. I'm going to like it I'm sure. That would be difficult for sure, but I do understand. Quite a few to handle and work with, and if someone is looking for spectacular milk cows, your cows will fill that need for sure. But hard to do for sure. Pulls at the heart. I may be doing that myself but like you keep putting it off and I'm just not there yet. But I will only be milking three, and as of now I only have one new heifer. But in time one will have to move on I imagine. Love the photos and the little ones are darling, it's like they are playing around the maypole, but it's a tree.

Go to Top of Page

txbikergirl

3197 Posts

Posted - May 04 2017 :  6:37:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
great parlor janet, i love seeing the progress. i am so happy for you. keep the updates coming.

like maryjane i keep my milking parlor cleaner than my house. i get so much joy cleaning it every day. today i was actually pondering the different in your/maryjane's climate and mine and how an al fresco parlor works wonderful here, but not so where y'all live. i know i'll have some winters where it is bitterly cold and i am just hanging on, but "bitter cold" in east texas is a lot different than month after month of bitter cold for y'all.

maryjane, of course the first thing i thought was "i want one!". split second later i came to my senses. i have two cows and two heifers - dont need to add to my herd except via mother nature. but boy that instinct to snatch up lacy lou was quick!

Firefly Hollow Farm , our little farmstead. Farmgirl living in the green piney woods of East Texas on 23 acres with a few jerseys, too many chickens, a pair of pugs and my Texan hubby (aka "lover boy")
Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - May 04 2017 :  6:47:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Cindy. I will be spending quite a bit of time down there. Between milking, cleaning, making cheese. I don't know if I ever told you I ordered the pressure washer that you suggested. It's in the basement along with all the other stuff that goes to the parlor. Joe and I will be moving some of it down over the weekend. Excited to use it, but it will be a while yet. I think milking in al fresco would be divine, but I like the winter too. Especially now that it won't be so frigid in the parlor. :). Let's face it, if we had the strength, room and time, we would all have more cows, then reality and life come to the forefront. Thankful for the cows we have. They all bring such joy.

Go to Top of Page
  Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: