Birth and Delivery
 AppleButter Update
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Topic  

Sydney2015

1156 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2017 :  2:18:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, AppleButter did not have her calf yet, but I do need some advice. She is due May 22. I took some photos yesterday and more today. Is it normal to have a lot of drainage at this time? She is very swollen and is very soft in her pin bones. Her udder is developing and is starting to bag up. I have some pictures, I want to know what you think. Also, I was in town today and bought some stall mats for milking, I can't wait to get the rest of my milking equipment! Correction: After I wrote this, I did some research. I found out that this is normal about 2 weeks(or less) before she goes into labor.

Back view, taken today.

Taken today.

The grass is green! AppleButter is hungry.

A good laugh overcomes more difficulties and dissipates more dark clouds than any other one thing - Laura Ingalls Wilder

I live on a small farm of seventy acres called Green Forest Farm, with 10 horses, a donkey, 5 beef cows, 2 beef heifers, 3 Hereford heifers, around 60 chickens, 8 dogs, my amazing cow, AppleButter, and her little Jersey calf HoneyButter!

Edited by - Sydney2015 on Apr 17 2017 7:55:52 PM

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2017 :  8:08:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, Ester Lily is due April 30 and has been oozing goop on and off for a week or so now.

MaryJane Butters, author of Milk Cow Kitchen ~ striving for the stoicism of a cow standing in the rain ~
Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2017 :  02:58:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd say, looking good Sydney. Her back end will get really poofy and no wrinkles, and the discharge is one that is different for each cow, but it is not unusual to see it already. She will just continue to enlarge everywhere. Thanks for all the photos. It's nice to be able to keep up with the cows and now soon to be calf. Keep em coming!!

To laugh is human but to moo is bovine. Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

Sydney2015

1156 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2017 :  06:12:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you! I also thought it was normal, but some of my family didn't think so, I just wanted to check and make sure! I will take tons of pictures of the calf for you, Janet!

A good laugh overcomes more difficulties and dissipates more dark clouds than any other one thing - Laura Ingalls Wilder

I live on a small farm of seventy acres called Green Forest Farm, with 10 horses, a donkey, 5 beef cows, 2 beef heifers, 3 Hereford heifers, around 60 chickens, 8 dogs, my amazing cow, AppleButter, and her little Jersey calf HoneyButter!
Go to Top of Page
  Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: