Pest Control
 Homemade Fly Control
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Topic  

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2014 :  3:06:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In my book, Milk Cow Kitchen, I share my recipe/concoction for a homemade fly spray that I apply using a backpack sprayer (dedicated to fly spray and not used for anything gardening). I snapped a few BEFORE and AFTER photos today.
Maizy BEFORE:

Note the red area behind her foreleg (below) where the tiny barn flies (AKA black flies) pictured here (different and much smaller than house flies and vicious too!) like to dine on her blood.

Maizy AFTER:

You can see there are still some biting flies landing on her but not nearly as many.

The spray lasts a day and then I repeat it the following day. It takes 20 minutes to do about a dozen animals. I prefer it over the chemical fly sprays available in feed stores. We also avoid any outbreaks of house flies by using fly predators throughout the summer (source for those also in my book).

MaryJane Butters, author of Milk Cow Kitchen ~ striving for the stoicism of a cow standing in the rain ~

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2014 :  1:49:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was getting ready to mix up some of your homemade fly spray and now after last night's fabulous rain storm, there are very few flies out today! But I am ready as I know they will be back! Thanks for the reminder about your spray.

Loving life and family on our Idaho farm, Meadowlark Heritage Farm; A few Jersey cows; a few alpacas; a few more goats, and even more ducks and chickens
Go to Top of Page
  Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: