Chatroom

[flourish]
 All Forums
 Marketplace
 Bulls and Semen FOR SALE (or barter or swap)
 Keep him a bull?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Topic
Page: of 2

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2015 :  07:06:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very cool info about your efforts to participate in the genetic recovery for the dairy side of the Dutch Belted. Sounds like concerned folks got going on it just in the nick of time. It seems like there are recovery efforts with lots of heirloom farm animals these days. Member Mike is doing that with pigs. Important work to say the least.

Cupid is adorable and her name fits her perfectly. Is part of the recovery of the Dutch Belted Dairy to try for a complete belt? I'd prefer a cow with a heart on her side if it were me. Can you breed for that:)?

MaryJane Butters, author of Milk Cow Kitchen ~ striving for the stoicism of a cow standing in the rain ~
Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2015 :  10:59:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cupid certainly fits her name! I think I'd breed for that sweet heart on her side, too. Very cool what you are doing with the Dutch Belted Dairy cows. I'm happy to see more of an interest in heirloom/heritage breeds.

Thanks for all of your information.

Loving life and family on our Idaho farm, Meadowlark Heritage Farm; A few Jersey cows; a few alpacas; a few more goats, and even more ducks and chickens
Go to Top of Page

happyfarmwife

64 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2015 :  2:13:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WELL.....the decision has been made, the Angus/Jersey bull calf is now a steer. Although he was out of outstanding genetics, as he began to grow and develop, we noticed that his lower jaw extended beyond his upper jaw so that when his teeth came in, they did not meet the upper pad but extended beyond significantly. Since that is a fairly serious issue that can be passed on from bull to offspring, we chose to band the little guy and he's now a steer in the making.
He never seemed to notice so I guess our timing was good as well.

For those of you who know the kid's story about Ferdinand the Bull that was always looking at butterflies and flowers and not being a "real" bull........this is Ferdinand.....he is continually following the chickens around, chasing the ducks out of his pen, nosing the dogs and pestering the heifer calves......
So his name is Ferdinand and he lives up to his namesake.
Destined for freezer at some point but now there's no chance of him passing on that jaw issue to any offspring...
And he has no clue that he will be anything other than just another friendly face on the farm!
Go to Top of Page

GingerBKelly

274 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2015 :  08:18:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another happy story.

~Ginger Kelly, Kelly Homestead Apiary, Charlton, MA~

gingerbkelly@gmail.com
When a cow laughs, does milk come out her nose? ~Author Unknown

Check us out on FB: https://www.facebook.com/KellyHomesteadApiary/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Topic  
Previous Page