New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Topic
Page: of 5

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2014 :  11:07:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hope to breed Clover this coming fall and am beginning my search for the right bull for her. This is the first time for Clover and I've never bred cows before; in fact, Clover is the first cow I've ever had. Clover is not with other cows so I am concerned that I won't be able to tell when she's in heat. She is petite, although her mom was a full-size Jersey. I would really like to breed Clover to a smaller bull. Any advice, suggestions, or help that anyone can send my way would be greatly appreciated!

Loving life and family on our Idaho farm, Meadowlark Heritage Farm; A few Jersey cows; a few alpacas; a few more goats, and even more ducks and chickens

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2014 :  5:40:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe you've posted this but are you looking for a polled (no horns) bull?

MaryJane Butters, author of Milk Cow Kitchen ~ striving for the stoicism of a cow standing in the rain ~
Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2014 :  09:52:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When it came time to have my girls AI, it wasn't difficult to know when they were "coming in". One of the heifers bawled continuously and they're behavior is just different. I notice it right away and I think it's because I'm around them so much that you just know things are different. I'm sure you will notice it. I had my heifers AI by the advice of a Jersey breeder. I didn't know anything about breeding so I asked him if he would choose a bull that would perhaps best suit Nellie. So I bought 20 straws of that particular bull's semen, bought a tank to keep it in and have serviced, and had them both bred by same AI bull. Hope this is of some help.

To laugh is human but to moo is bovine. Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2014 :  2:13:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
MaryJane, I would prefer a polled bull, but I may not have many options. My buck for my goats is polled and it was wonderful not to dehorn half of my kids this spring.

Janet, Clover is by herself...so do you think I will still notice a difference? I have not noticed anything yet and her pasture is right out front of our house, past the yard. Where did you purchase a tank for the semen straws? We have a veterinary hospital nearby, so that may be an option for AI services.

Loving life and family on our Idaho farm, Meadowlark Heritage Farm; A few Jersey cows; a few alpacas; a few more goats, and even more ducks and chickens
Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2014 :  2:40:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Perhaps not. I purchased my tank from my AI guy. He sold me his tank as he was going to purchase a new one. It was really nice and he is the one that serviced the tank so I'm pleased with it and it is certainly convenient to have it right here on the farm. Works for me anyway. I have three AI people that have helped here. It's nice to have more than one lined up. Just thankful they are all willing to come when I call. Hope all works out for Clover too.
Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2014 :  06:59:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's a quick start for you, Charlene. Casey Hagenah 509-243-4278 hagranch@hotmail.com might be able to do AI on Clover.

I'm told he does AI without the hormones like WSU uses. You just have to know when Clover comes into heat and then see if he's available to come. Ask him if he knows where to get semen from a Jersey bull named PeeWee. Someone around here has semen from a smaller bull named PeeWee who I'm pretty sure has horns. Ginger (here on the chatroom) used PeeWee to come up with her heifer, Brie, but I don't remember where she purchased the semen. Maybe ask "Ginger" since she offered to show you the ropes in a post? Let me know what you find out. I've been wanting to call Casey myself.

I had WSU out here this week doing AI on Miss Daisy. They're an option although you have to schedule it way in advance because it entails three trips to your farm and they're so busy all the time. If you're okay with forced estrus, I think we can find some semen that will work for Clover that they can use.

If none of that works, I have other ideas for polled semen that we can discuss. We'll get Clover pregnant one way or the other!

MaryJane Butters, author of Milk Cow Kitchen ~ striving for the stoicism of a cow standing in the rain ~
Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2014 :  9:48:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you, MaryJane. I so appreciate your help and your encouragement. I will make some phone calls this week! What is your opinion on forced estrus? I left a message for Ginger on another part of this chat room but haven't heard or seen anything yet.

Tonight Clover was a hero! We are raising four pigs and their pen is in the middle of Clover's pasture. And the pigs escaped their pen first time ever tonight! They are only somewhat tame and we were concerned...remember, we are new at this farm stuff. Just yesterday a friend had mentioned that if our pigs ever got out, entice them back with the water from the hose, especially during the hot weather. So we turned on the hose inside the pig pen and Clover helped herd them around the edge of the fence right back into their pen! She plays with the pigs through their fence and I think she was just playing with them tonight, only there was no fence separating them. We cheered her on! It actually was pretty amazing to watch. As we watched the pigs enjoy their mud while my hubby fixed their fence, I rubbed Clover all over. Her coat is looking good right now, shiny and soft. Clover leaned into me enough to be touching me not pushing me at all and thank me with great big licks on my legs! It was one of those very contented moments for me...so thankful for this sweet cow of mine! She is such a love.

Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2014 :  3:54:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yay Clover! What a wonderful image. Those pigs are her buddies.

Today I signed up for a 3-day hands-on AI class at WSU mid-August for $400. Details to follow. I'm sooooooo excited because it isn't something they do routinely. I looked into AI classes last year and it required traveling to Oregon or Nebraska. If anyone is interested, I can give you the details.

P.S. I spoke with Casey and he also uses the hormone protocol for his AI.

Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2014 :  6:01:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Animals are such amazing creatures. Yeah Clover! She sounds like she will be a good momma. I'm sure you are getting anxious. Hang in there, it will happen! Do you have pictures of Clover. Maybe you have posted them in the past. I will look closer.
Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2014 :  6:07:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The AI class sounds exciting. I know I'm fascinated when the AI guys come here and they talk about their experiences. It's interesting just watching, as no two times seem to be alike. I hope the best for you MaryJane. That will be cool to be able to do the job yourself. Timing wouldn't be such an issue.
Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2014 :  05:05:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm over the moon excited. It will make my breeding program sooooo much easier on me and my cows. I'll still have WSU collect and store the bulk of my semen (like they already do) but then I can have a small tank here to pull from. Cupid's arrow, here I come!

Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2014 :  06:20:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by maryjane

I'm over the moon excited. It will make my breeding program sooooo much easier on me and my cows. I'll still have WSU collect and store the bulk of my semen (like they already do) but then I can have a small tank here to pull from. Cupid's arrow, here I come!

And with "cupids arrow" perhaps it will be easier to try the early heat breeding and see what results you get. Like the Coopers Family Farm blog article. I'm sure curious to see if it worked on Sienna.
Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2014 :  9:59:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The AI class sounds like a great opportunity! Wish I were at a different stage with my little farm and I would so be interested in a class like what you are taking at WSU, MaryJane!!

Janet, I sure hope Clover will be a good mama! Her own mama had come from a professional dairy and was not a good mama as she never learned to be one. But I was rubbing Clover all over, including her little udder and she just stood there...never shied away. I am hoping she stays small...she is measuring as a mid-size Jersey for a year old.

Go to Top of Page

NellieBelle

11214 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2014 :  07:43:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As hands on as you and your family have been, it's a win, win. And it"s amazing how much the mother instinct kicks in when they see that new born calf. I'm hoping everything falls into place like it naturally should. I think Nellie would have been fine at the start had we got her separated from Sienna. We think Sienna thought it was her calf and so it confused both of them. Thankfully the mother in Nellie kicked in and the hunger drive kicked in for Pumpkin Moonshine, as all seems to be working in harmony for the moment. :) Many good thoughts are being sent your way!

To laugh is human but to moo is bovine. Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2014 :  10:15:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Charlene,
Can you catch a height on Clover for me sometime? Instructions here: https://www.heritagejersey.org/measuring.aspx

Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2014 :  10:13:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
MaryJane, Yes I will measure her tomorrow. I did a very rough estimate using your instructions when I was out with her in the pasture yesterday and I used your chart there as well. I was curious as I thought she still looked small but my son who just returned after seven weeks fishing in AK was surprised at how Clover had grown! I'd love it if she stayed this size but they grow until two years or so, correct? But I will measure her more precisely tomorrow and let you know.

Janet, thank you for your encouraging words! My learning curve is still pretty steep and I'm not always sure if we are going in the right direction. However, that makes this chat room so valuable to me as I've learned so many things here! And, of course, MaryJane's book which I love, love, love!

Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2014 :  6:40:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I measured Clover just a bit ago using the Heritage Jersey measuring guidelines. This is the first time I've ever measured a cow so my measurements could be off just a tad. Clover measured 41.5" and will be 13 months old this weekend. If I'm reading the chart correctly, she is measuring right in the middle of the range for mid-size Jerseys. I would love if she stayed on the smaller size! How long will she continue to grow?

Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2014 :  08:21:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My cows continue to grow up until they're three years old but I've noticed some of them didn't stop growing until they were four. She's the perfect size at this point for her age. I would imagine, given her genetics, she's going to have a decent udder also. And about this time next year, she'll be a mother!

Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2014 :  9:58:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I cannot wait until Clover is a mother! And, having some of her Jersey milk for my family...what a treat and so healthy for us. Tonight Clover was mooing and carrying on for several hours. We were sitting on our front porch and her pasture is right past our yard in front so we were "conversing back and forth." So, our son went over to her and she was acting like a big love as he scratched her back and petted her. She was licking him and then trying to lick his shirt. It was quite comical! She was not happy when he left her pasture. We all were wondering if perhaps she was in heat. I hope so and am marking it on my calendar as it would certainly make breeding her slightly easier.

Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2014 :  9:23:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So, I contacted Casey and he is willing to help me AI Clover. He was a very nice guy and full of good information. He said it would be necessary to use hormones to synchronize Clover's breeding cycle, particularly as she is currently not with any other cows. (Makes me think that another Jersey cow will be in my future for company for Clover.) He suggested that I breed her to an Angus bull just to see if she will be able to successfully calve. That isn't a direction that I want to go. I asked him about a Jersey bull named PeeWee. He is looking into that possibility. He has the semen but needs to make sure it is available. Otherwise, he has other Jersey semen that he could use, but he cannot tell me anything about the bull's background and, of course, it would be from a full-size Jersey.

Any suggestions or advice, MaryJane? Anyone else?

Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2014 :  05:31:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning Charlene! I've been thinking about Clover lately. It would be great if I could come and take a look at her to get a feel for her body build and size so I can help you come up with a breeding plan. I think your hunch to go with Jersey semen is a good one. There's every chance you could get a sweet companion heifer! Wouldn't that be perfect?!

Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2014 :  09:26:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh yes, I would dearly love a sweet heifer to be a companion for Clover! That would, indeed, be a perfect scenario. And, I surely don't have a chance if I don't go with Jersey semen.

You are more than welcome to come and see my Clover any time! And, of course, I would be so grateful for any assistance with a breeding plan for her. :-) You are so very kind and while you are so busy!

Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2014 :  3:58:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
An update on figuring all this out with Clover! :-) I am taking her to WSU for updates on her vaccines & necessary boosters this coming week and have been in contact with Dr. Lisa Pearson, a vet at WSU. So progress is being made and Clover will be healthy and ready for successful breeding this fall.

Go to Top of Page

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2014 :  6:49:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When you take her over, remember to ask them to walk her over the scales and get a weight on her. It's easy to forget to do that. Sounds like a breeding plan is starting to unfold.

Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2014 :  7:17:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh, what a good idea MaryJane!! I am making a note of this and writing it on my phone! So easy to do; and, yet, so easy to forget when you are in a middle of an appointment!

Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2014 :  2:16:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So...Clover had her first regular vet exam over at the WSU Veterinary Hospital. She was so well behaved as she was calm and followed easily on her lead rope. Such a sweetie! All of our practicing has paid off! She gave loves to each vet student who came by. She got two vaccines/boosters and one of her horns were starting to grow back (just a very little bit) so they went ahead and disbudded her again. Now to keep the flies away as it heals.

We got a weight on her! Smile...I was so afraid I'd forget! She weighs 459 lbs and she will be 14 months old next week. She is still measuring as a mid-size Jersey which makes me so happy!

The vets said she looked really healthy; however, they heard a small heart murmur. I'm trying not to worry and they said that statistically there shouldn't be cause for concern. But, I am going to be in contact with the vet cardiologist over at the vet hospital to see about a heart ultrasound to rule out any serious issues. They might even be able to use it as a teaching time so I could receive a discount for their services. The vet did say that she wouldn't worry too much as Clover did not present with any health issues at all, other than her smaller size. But Clover had such a rough start at birth, so they are thinking that factored into too. I am impressed with the WSU vet hospital.

One more hoop to hop through as I navigate this road to a successfully bred cow.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: