Greetings from the Blue Ridge of VA
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Topic  

mtngranny

25 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2014 :  1:13:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all,

We've had milking jerseys for the past 7 years. Right now I also have a Dexter/Jersey cross heifer and an Angus/Jersey steer.

I really like my cows and can't imagine living life without one. The workload of the farm has been a little hard on my children, so they're not as keen on always having a cow in milk as I am. My oldest daughter still at home is actually the main "cow girl" but dh and I help out a lot.

We have tried lots of different things with our milk but life on the farm is so busy (and right now is about the busiest time of the year) that there are many cheeses and dairy products I have either not tried or not yet mastered. I don't yet have a hard cheese press, for example.

Glad to be here and hope to learn a lot and enjoy fellowshipping over a common interest.

Wife to one wonderful man for 35 years
Mom of 11 great kids
Grandma to four terrific grandsons (first granddaughter due this fall)
Homesteading in the foothills of the Blue Ridge
with my sweet Jersey, Maggie and her calf TBone
Dexter/Jersey heifer Flossie
Angus/Jersey steer Dinty Moore
Jersey steer Chewy
(right now) Tamworth hogs
Freedom Ranger chickens
Assorted laying hens and one king of the coop
Great Pyr LGDs Claudette and Mimi

maryjane

7072 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2014 :  8:07:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome. 11 children!!! That's plenty of hands to help you milk ... and drink. I can relate to your need to have a milk cow around. I was thinking a couple of weeks ago that I could take a one-month hiatus and decrease my cow's output until her calf was taking all of it up until I weaned the calf and then started milking her again but after two days of toying with the idea, I decided I would desperately miss the milk (and cheese, etc.) and instead I could train my two sons to milk her while I'm away taking my bull to Montana for semen collection rather than not milking her altogether. I'd miss my time in the barn with her. It's just that simple. It's a routine that grounds me and gives me great satisfaction. This week I'm getting my kids trained. I have a pretty good hunch they're looking forward to it, actually. Again, welcome. It sounds like you have a wealth of experience you can share.

MaryJane Butters, author of Milk Cow Kitchen ~ striving for the stoicism of a cow standing in the rain ~
Go to Top of Page

CloversMum

3486 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2014 :  10:56:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greetings to you in Blue Ridge Virginia from one in Idaho! You sound like you have a wonderful homestead, full of farm critters and sweet children! I hope to learn lots from your vast experience as we have our first cow on our own little homestead farm. Love this life!

Loving life and family on our Idaho farm, Meadowlark Heritage Farm; A few Jersey cows; a few alpacas; a few more goats, and even more ducks and chickens
Go to Top of Page

GingerBKelly

274 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2015 :  6:29:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greetings in Virginia. We live in Massachusetts. Flossie is adorable!

~Ginger Kelly, Kelly Homestead Apiary, Charlton, MA~

gingerbkelly@gmail.com
When a cow laughs, does milk come out her nose? ~Author Unknown

Check us out on FB: https://www.facebook.com/KellyHomesteadApiary/
Go to Top of Page

txbikergirl

3197 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2015 :  5:39:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
welcome from texas! i am the newbie cow owner here, cow comes home in a few weeks. love hearing your story, you'll find a lot of like minded cow folk here.

Firefly Hollow Farm , our little farmstead. Farmgirl living in the green piney woods of East Texas on 23 acres with a few jerseys, too many chickens, a pair of pugs and my Texan hubby (aka "lover boy")
Go to Top of Page
  Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: